Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2016, 02:54 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
NZ is pretty

So I was lucky enough to end up in Christchruch for work last week. I took an orchestra over to play with there city orchestra and managed a little sigh seeing for my trouble. (Christchurch NZ, had a massive quake in 2011, bits of the CBD are still ruined, but it's getting a lot better slowly.)

I was excited to take my new to me DA 16-50. I confess I packed the trusty M50 f2 + M135 f3.5 because.. well, I couldn't not take them. The real surprise on this trip was how little I used the new fancy DA, turns outs 450g is heavy, and I had much more fun walking around with a 50 & 135mm prime. I should have called it before I left honestly..

Couple of things;

1) Ergonomically it's a different enough in operation to have to "get used" to it all over again. Buttons you need control of are in slightly different positions (apparently my camera has a meter lock and compensation button) and it just slowed everything down. Just something to get used to really
2) Distance scale. I really missed it! That I though was funny. But hay. Just what you are used to really. I tried to like squinting in a dark finder to look at the details, but boring.
3) Heavy. You kinda need the battery pack on the bottom of the small K5 to balance it out, and although I had it with me, it just became to big and boring.

So there you go. remind me when I go travelling again that all I need is probably a 35mm f2, and a 135/150, maybe just a 200mm f4, and that f3.5 was fast enough for a smaller telephoto lens. If I ever go see a riot, or find myself in a dark music video, I'll take the DA with me because the luxury of the zoom will be enjoyed, but I certainly didn't need it on holiday.

Anyway, standing on a hill (Sign of the Takahe) with the Pentax M 135mm shooting into the mist and fog, down over Christchurch. They really did built this city in a swamp...
Click for swamp

When the quake hit, 40,000odd homes were wrecked. A few recent postcodes that were built on reclaimed swampland in the later 90's 80's, well they pretty disappeared. The land is now what they call "code red" meaning no plumbing, elec, roads, will ever be built there as it's all just to unstable. Looks like Christchurch will get some massive natural parks / it will return to swamp land after all. But yes the view from that hill really enforced just how close to the water's edge the city is.

Parts of the CBD are still broken with a few tall buildings yet to be removed. These are clearly identified by the swabs of graffiti left in unnatural places. (M 50 f2 if you are interested)
Click for TOGO

Speaking of graffiti. After the dust settled, council set about commissioning giant murals all over the place, these are for a few car parks in the CBD
Click for car park
Click for another car park

There are a bunch I didn't get too, and these are the smaller ones.. but it gives you an idea at how cool the city is with the sponsorship of this kinda stuff everywhere.

Getting over to the South of the city we crossed a hill and ended up in Akorora. Hit the water and turn right to find Antarctica, straight ahead and you will hit Chile. This place reminded me of the sea cliffs on the east side of New Caledonia actually.. Huge expansions upwards and impressive colouring in the cliffs. The tops are still farmed and some crazy fence builders managed some magic in some instances. Why not share it I thought to myself but whatever, I'm not a farmer.

Click for cliffs
Click for crazy sheep
Click for space for a decent size boat
Click for where I'd happily live
Click for I'd also live here
Click for where the birds live

NZ is really a crazy pretty places. These snap shots don't do it justice. GO THERE!

But only take a 50 and a 135mm because really... You are on work/holidays :P

07-10-2016, 03:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I totally agree about NZ, it is a scenic wonder. On my only trip there several years ago, I found myself exclaiming WOW! after almost each bend I rounded brought another beautiful, majestic scene in to view. I advise folk who tell me they are going to cross the pond to save up, and not use the word WOW! for several months before hand. I ran out of my quota and had to come home.

The harbour at Akarora, is really a spectacular place. I could live there too.

Last edited by wizofoz; 07-10-2016 at 03:40 AM.
07-10-2016, 03:15 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Whilst not condoning their actions, many graffiti artists produce some phenomenal artworks, as displayed here in some of you images.
07-10-2016, 03:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
We travelled by bus (with all the kids) from Christchurch down to Akarora and the trip over the hill was spectacular. We left at 8am, in winter the sun is still coming up and it just shone like a torch under the clouds in the valleys. Was crazy pretty! Glad I was in a bus or I would not have ever gotten anywhere! You really would end up on the side of the road at ever corner filling memory cards :P

07-10-2016, 04:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes it is gorgeous. I fished the South Island a few years ago and will head across to the North Island in November/December for a couple of weeks of flyfishing and photography.

Every where one looks is stunning scenery (Lord of the Rings was shot there), the food and wine are good, it can be done on the cheap, and the fishing is legendary.

There are now direct flights to Wellington from Canberra...whooppeeeee!...only about three hours away!!!
07-10-2016, 06:33 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd love to visit New Zealand.

Though I'm not an avid hiker it has been a dream of mine to walk the Milford Track.
Damn you National Geographic!

Chris
07-10-2016, 06:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

"NZ is pretty"

Nice to meet you Captain Obvious! LOL! J/K

I spent 3 months in NZ and loved every minute of it. I was going to do a visa run and come back but I went to South Africa instead. I will go back to New Zealand again though. There is absolutely no question about it. One of the best places on earth.

07-10-2016, 06:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Milford track is on my todo list also. and no. not a hiker either. But will learn for the chance!

And Kiwi's for reminding all of what kind of paradise you have to yourselves. :P
07-10-2016, 07:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I agree about the scenery. Too bad the place is full of New Zealanders!

Well, except for Queenstown. We went there a few months back and I could live there in summer - it would beat living in Sydney in summer - plus the place was full of backpackers in very, very, short shorts. Awful, it was.
07-10-2016, 07:20 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful shots! I got to spend a couple weeks on the North Island, mostly hanging around Auckland, Rotorua, Taupo, etc. Spectacular scenery at every turn. But the South Island beckons!
07-10-2016, 07:25 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

General Talk is not for photography discussions as the Sticky says. Thus I've moved your thread to the correct forum......General Photography.
07-10-2016, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I agree about the scenery. Too bad the place is full of New Zealanders!
Yeah we are so laid back and friendly it's a real pain in the arse :-)
07-10-2016, 07:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
... I thought we were just talking about NZ in general, oh well.

And I don't know about friendly. :P Laid back for sure, something to do with no snakes or spiders that can kill you I imagine :P
07-10-2016, 09:43 PM   #14

I live in Christchurch, New Zealand. Yes, the earthquake did a lot of damage. 1500 inner city multi-story buildings had to be demolished as well as the thousands of residential houses. There are still whole suburbs that are virtually ghost towns - just abandoned and cannot be built on again due to unstable land.

And yep, there's a heap of stuff to photograph. As well as a drive East over the hill to Akaroa Harbour, you can drive West for an hour and be in the alps!
07-10-2016, 10:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It really is a ridiculous place in that regard. I had hoped to catch the train up to Arthur's Pass but didn't work out. At least I have an excuse to go back.

Also, your botanic garden in the city is fantastic. You could spend a day trying to catch those beautiful grey and gold wrens that land near the rose garden in the middle.