Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-11-2016, 10:40 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Just curious who you think should hold office if you do not trust any politicians?
write in ballot - Moose and Squirrel !

07-11-2016, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I read a study that looked at the traits people expected of politicians and what they elected, that suggested, that the people they elected were significantly better at what they were elected for, than anyone had any right to expect. And that the politicians were actually better than the general public at those qualities by a huge margin. In a democracy where people are elected because they hold the values that people think should guide us, complaining about politicians i like complaining about your society's values, and hence yourself.

A politician wouldn't be a politician, if your friends and neighbour's hadn't voted for him. Otherwise he'd just be the jerk that lives down the street.

"We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Last edited by normhead; 07-11-2016 at 12:49 PM.
07-11-2016, 01:39 PM   #18
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
not a lot unlike the rest of us
I don't consider myself even remotely powerful.

07-11-2016, 01:44 PM   #19
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
based on 2 million images, straight law of averages some are bound to be good
I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that he's not allowed to delete any images whatsoever, all have to be retained as shot, even the duds.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 07-11-2016 at 02:21 PM.
07-11-2016, 01:50 PM   #20
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that he's not allowed to delete any images whatsoever, all have to retained as shot, even the duds.
If that is the case and I was his shooter...he'd now have 4 decent photos.....maybe?
07-11-2016, 02:25 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I don't consider myself even remotely powerful.

Thanks to my social scientist father, I also understand why I'm not even remotely powerful, and why I'd probably decline if someone tried to make me remotely powerful; Some of us have to realize, persuasion is better than legislative force. People who do the right thing because they understand the situation are dependable. People forced to do the right thing through legislation, not so much.
07-11-2016, 02:30 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
That's the conclusion of Thomas Frank's new book. But he took 349 pages to get there

07-11-2016, 06:39 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Thanks to my social scientist father, I also understand why I'm not even remotely powerful, and why I'd probably decline if someone tried to make me remotely powerful; Some of us have to realize, persuasion is better than legislative force. People who do the right thing because they understand the situation are dependable. People forced to do the right thing through legislation, not so much.
And that's before we get onto a discussion of what constitutes the right thing.
07-11-2016, 06:46 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
And that's before we get onto a discussion of what constitutes the right thing.
You just have to depend on your friends. If you're not right, they will stick with it until you catch on.
07-11-2016, 08:53 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Just curious who you think should hold office if you do not trust any politicians?
07-12-2016, 12:10 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
A great piece of satire, and one that gives everybody a spray, even if they didn't recognise it at the time.

I haven't met all politicians, so I can't comment on their general trustworthiness…

The ones I have met, even the ones I've worked for (a long time ago, mind) were so like the people who despise them that it was almost surreal (yeah, I know it's an over-abused word, but appropriate, in this case).

And I agree, those photos of Obama are fine examples of the photographer's art. The ones of Kim Jong Il remind me of the talent possessed by my kids, when they first picked up a camera.
07-12-2016, 04:17 AM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Obama apparently told Souza that #11 is his favourite.
07-12-2016, 09:30 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I noticed the difference was that the pictures of obama were much more "candid" shots. Whereas kim jong il's photos looked a lot more staged.

I wonder how much it has to do with the man. Obama (and probably U.S. presidents in general) probably give the photographer more free range to get the better angle to take less "planned" shots. Not to say the images aren't heavily scrutinized but that in the moment the photographer is given more latitude to take the photo both flattering and unflattering. And then cherry picked later.

I imagine that kim jong il (or his media staff) is more controlling in the moment and tells the photographer the kinds of photos he (or his staff) wants.

And yes there's probably a huge talent level difference and probably equipment level difference too.
07-12-2016, 04:08 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Humm...
07-12-2016, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by serothis Quote
I noticed the difference was that the pictures of obama were much more "candid" shots. Whereas kim jong il's photos looked a lot more staged.
All of them were staged. If it was taken by an official photographer, there is no such thing as a candid shot.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Obama apparently told Souza that #11 is his favourite.
That's because he is secretly Doc Ock - you can't see the four extra arms, but they are there.