Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-13-2016, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
To say nothing of what happened at the Toronto Pride Parade this year.
Unfortunately as one who understands he workings of Black Lives Matter in Toronto, totally predictable.

The old civil rights movement was about instigating a beating (for yourself) or whatever was dished out to bring attention to your cause. The new crowd are more about finding ways to protest that don't bring themselves any negative consequences. Interrupting a gay pride parade makes you look like cowards, not heroes.

Real heroes, be they police or armed forces heroes or civil rights movement heroes, put themselves in harms way for the betterment of their country. I don't see any civil right's heroes these days.

I could say a lot more, but that's enough.

07-13-2016, 12:35 PM   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
There still is a place for real photojournalist capturing that decisive moment
I certainly hope so, otherwise I know quite a few folk that will be redundant...
07-13-2016, 01:07 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I certainly hope so, otherwise I know quite a few folk that will be redundant...
Is there something about you we should know? --
-----------
07-14-2016, 02:10 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think it stands up pretty well as a "iconic" photo. A clear metaphor for the struggle between good and evil.
-Princess Leia firmly standing up to the forces of the dark side and that sort of thing.
If it has any weakness it's the Darth Vader appearance of the cops that make them look fearful, incompetent and absurd rather than menacing.

But overall it works as an icon. After all the purpose of an icon is to tell you what to think not how.

Last edited by wildman; 07-14-2016 at 04:29 AM.
07-14-2016, 02:25 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Proof, I suppose, that the days of still photography are numbered. Just send videographers out and then snag a couple of frames from what they shot. Who needs photographers anyway?
07-14-2016, 03:24 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Proof, I suppose, that the days of still photography are numbered. Just send videographers out and then snag a couple of frames from what they shot. Who needs photographers anyway?
It's a open question. I really don't know if the original shot was a still or a video. I just happened to take it off a readily available video file on Utube.
But your point is well taken. I can see the day when cameras will be able to deliver the quality of a FF at the frame rate of video - no need for a burst mode.

In any case much of the most important visual reporting done now is done by ordinary citizens with a cell phone who just happens to be on the spot and I'm glad for it.
This pro was there because it was a well known scheduled event and most breaking news just doesn't happen that conveniently.
07-14-2016, 03:32 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
It's a open question. I really don't know if the original shot was a still or a video. I just happened to take it off a readily available video file on Utube.
But your point is well taken. I can see the day when cameras will be able to deliver the quality of a FF at the frame rate of video - no need for a burst mode.

In any case much of the most important visual reporting done now is done by ordinary citizens with a cell phone who just happens to be on the spot and I'm glad for it.
This pro was there because it was a well known scheduled event and most breaking news just doesn't happen that conveniently.
It just seems your title is completely contradicted by your image. A frame capture of a 4K video will by 8 megapixels -- quite enough for most purposes. The reality is that there is no place for photo journalists in a world in which stealing a frame from a video stream is adequate and cheaper than employing a dedicated still photographer to try to capture such images.

07-14-2016, 03:41 AM   #23
Pentaxian

A frame capture of a 4K video will be 8 megapixels -- quite enough for most purposes.
This was my thought exactly. The limiting factor for frame capture quality is the (effective) shutter speed at which it was shot, and whether this is fast enough to freeze motion blur in the subject.
07-14-2016, 05:02 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It just seems your title is completely contradicted by your image.
I don't disagree - perhaps a better title would have been "What makes an 'iconic' image?". That's, perhaps, what was really on my mind at the time of posting.

BTW does anyone know, in fact, if the original image was a still or a video? I've looked but can't tell for sure one way or the other.
07-14-2016, 05:30 AM   #25

i'm fairly certain that the original image was a still, can't remember where though -> I think because I haven't seen the image moving in any of its reporting
07-14-2016, 07:25 AM   #26
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm still waiting for the photographer to get credit for your posting of his image....
07-14-2016, 07:30 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I'm still waiting for the photographer to get credit for your posting of his image....
Maybe he should have put his name in the corner like I do. I've had images posted all over the web, with my name and website on them, one series receiving over 7 million hits, without receiving a single inquiry or comment. So I'm not sure how much the credit is worth. It's just a formality these days. Left over from a time when images weren't cheap or free, and available everywhere.
07-14-2016, 07:57 AM   #28
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Maybe he should have put his name in the corner like I do. I've had images posted all over the web, with my name and website on them, one series receiving over 7 million hits, without receiving a single inquiry or comment. So I'm not sure how much the credit is worth. It's just a formality these days. Left over from a time when images weren't cheap or free, and available everywhere.

agreed - my concern is that this is a photography forum, with all of us (in one form or another) as photographers: we should be giving each other credit when we post someone else's work that is not our own - I'm not looking at copyright or anything else in a legal fashion, just as a common courtesy...
07-14-2016, 01:23 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Maybe he should have put his name in the corner like I do..
I think this was a picture sold to newspapers and magazines, so I don't think that is what they do in these cases.

Usually the photographer is credited in text, sometimes follows by the words "Used by Permission"...
07-14-2016, 01:31 PM   #30
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I think this was a picture sold to newspapers and magazines, so I don't think that is what they do in these cases.

Usually the photographer is credited in text, sometimes follows by the words "Used by Permission"...

bingo...