Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-13-2016, 05:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

There still is a place for real photojournalist capturing that decisive moment

Frame capture touched up a bit in Photoshop.
Standing her ground....

Last edited by wildman; 07-28-2016 at 07:16 AM.
07-13-2016, 06:11 AM   #2

Nice Catch, some heavy gear on those guys (robocop?)
Suits best in BW i think, good job =)
07-13-2016, 06:16 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Frame capture touched up a bit in Photoshop.
Standing her ground....

your shot?
07-13-2016, 06:29 AM   #4

This is your shot ?! I think i have seen this in many other places. Great shot.

07-13-2016, 07:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
your shot?
No. It's gone viral. This is just a single frame I got off of a Utube mp4 video file. Just thought it deserved some TLC with PS.
See -
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jul/11/baton-rouge-protester-photo-iesha-evans
07-13-2016, 07:41 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The OP wrote "Frame capture" so I don't think it's their photo.
07-13-2016, 07:41 AM   #7

*sigh*

07-13-2016, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

No. It's gone viral. This is just a single frame I got off of a Utube mp4 video file. Just thought it deserved some TLC with PS.
See -
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jul/11/baton-rouge-protester-photo-iesha-evans
If some website edited and reposted one of your own photos without crediting you, would you like that? We've had lots of copyright discussion here on PF and I'm curious how others feel about it.
07-13-2016, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Still a place for photojournalism
Definitely. Go do some... It's a whole lot trickier than it seems, and so you would be extremely proud of any photos you took yourself of a perfect moment such as that. You would also be pretty pissed off at people reproducing it without permission.
07-13-2016, 08:03 AM   #10
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
If some website edited and reposted one of your own photos without crediting you, would you like that? We've had lots of copyright discussion here on PF and I'm curious how others feel about it.

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Definitely. Go do some... It's a whole lot trickier than it seems, and so you would be extremely proud of any photos you took yourself of a perfect moment such as that. You would also be pretty pissed off at people reproducing it without permission.

which is why I asked - the OP was vague enough but did not state that he had simply grabbed an image off the web, processed himself, then posted it here for our consumption...

the term "frame capture" does not imply anything about ownership...
07-13-2016, 08:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
f some website edited and riposted one of your own photos without crediting you, would you like that?
I would be totally indifferent. So far as I am concerned any photo of mine that I willingly post on the internet is in the public domain.

But my intention was not to mislead. I just assumed, being a photography forum, most folks would recognize it for what it is - apparently not.
I have no interest in a long sterile discussion of property rights. But an aesthetic discussion of why the photo does or does not work would be interesting.

mnaah,
BTW thanks for the link - interesting.

Last edited by wildman; 07-13-2016 at 08:41 AM.
07-13-2016, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #12

no worries wildman i have no doubts that you weren't out to deceive, but this being the internet, everyone jumps to conclusions about everything, including motives...

about the aesthetics then. my first reaction was that it appears almost staged. yes, it is very powerful--it shows something of the state of the US at this time, whatever public figures say in speeches about unity. this is a double edge sword for me. i think the best of photography takes something people are familiar with and gives a new perspective, whether that's through stopping motion, blurring motion, changing angles, etc. and this definitely does this. and yet, something still feels not quite right...

perhaps it's just my aussie cynicism though
07-13-2016, 08:56 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

I'm not sure how you discuss the importance of a photo like this without contrasting the times.

When I was kid during the time of the civil rights movement, a scene where protesters blocked a highway would've lead to broken heads and busloads of arrested people. It's hard not to think we've become a lot more civilized.

In that sense this is an iconic photograph, in that it symbolizes a lot of progress. So in that sense it almost represents the progress brought about during the civil rights movement. However, the armour worn by the State Troopers, also symbolizes that some of the points of the original civil rights leaders, having to do with not attacking police officers etc. have fallen by the wayside. It was a critical point of the early civl rights leaders, that the police were not the enemy. They enforced unfair rules, but that was thier job. You changed the rules, not attack the police. The armour worn by the police is a clear symbol of how much more dangerous the lives of ordinary police officers have become. That would be clearly contrary to the wishes of MLK and the leaders of the 1950-1964 civil rights movement. There's a lot of symbolism in that photo. It's not just to do with authoritarianism against freedom.
07-13-2016, 09:41 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mnaah Quote
my first reaction was that it appears almost staged.
In a way it very much is. I am sure she was fully intending to create a scene reminiscent of so many similar images from past protests...tank boy at Tiananmen Square...flower in the tank barrel an so on. It is staged in that those cultural cues are in her head when she decided to stand in front of those ranks of robocops.

On a personal level, it must be sad to find yourself living in a society where the police monitoring a popular protest need to look like that.

Aesthetically though, the photo is what it is...a classic 'F8 and be there' shot where being in that place at that moment is all that matters. The processing is classic Time Magazine photojournalism style, but I think the colour process suited it better in this case.

Save
07-13-2016, 09:51 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That would be clearly contrary to the wishes of MLK and the leaders of the 1950-1964 civil rights movement.
To say nothing of what happened at the Toronto Pride Parade this year.

QuoteOriginally posted by mnaah Quote
my first reaction was that it appears almost staged.
Agree completely.

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
In a way it very much is. I am sure she was fully intending to create a scene reminiscent of so many similar images from past protests..
And with this.