Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-18-2016, 06:33 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have at least six bumble bee species in my yard. Each species has its preferred plants for nectar gathering based on bee tongue length. But the most popular plant seems to be the horse mint (Monarda sp.). which is a late bloomer and carries them through the summer into the autumn. Hummingbirds love it, too.

07-19-2016, 05:53 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, Monarda and Hyssop are solid draws for the bumbles, so is catmint. Coneflower and sunflower are also great. I like to keep a variety to bring in all the other native bees, too. Some like one species of Melissodes I see only on aster-family plants like the tickseed and sunflower. I haven't identified which species that is yet. The easily identified Melissodes bimaculatus I only see on the ecinacia. Right now the tiny lasioglossum and halictids are out in force, and fun to watch.

I've documented 10 species in our yard, but not every year. Of course I'm not out there all day watching either, so my sampling rate is pretty spotty.
07-19-2016, 06:50 AM   #18
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have few bumblebees, but the ones that come in do like the catmint and also the russian sage. I'd never thought before this thread, that there were different varieties, so now I'm excited to try to identify what I have! Also going to plant more variety, to attract more!
07-19-2016, 09:54 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I have few bumblebees, but the ones that come in do like the catmint and also the russian sage. I'd never thought before this thread, that there were different varieties, so now I'm excited to try to identify what I have! Also going to plant more variety, to attract more!
Think all year round, with "weeds" early for the queens, and don't clear all your leaf litter in the autumn, you may have queens hibernating.

Welcome to the world of native bee stewardship! You'll be trying to get pictures of the tiny (4mm) Lasioglossum soon!

07-19-2016, 10:21 AM   #20
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Terry, thanks for those tips, I'll certainly act on them!
07-19-2016, 11:49 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I saw my first leafcutter bee in my mom's backyard the other day. I saw this bee flying to a hole in the ground carrying a part of a leaf underneath it. Looked it up and found that the leafcutters are the second most numerous bee family in the world! I had no idea. Fascinating creatures.