Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
08-11-2016, 08:37 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's very interesting to find this thread. I've found that when I search for something Pentax and forget to check "[ ] US Only" some listings from Japan are likely to show up, often competitively priced and with free shipping. The positive feedback percentages have been very high, but it is good to hear what actual customers have to say!

08-11-2016, 10:24 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
often competitively priced and with free shipping.
The free shipping and no pre-charged duties is why I mainly buy from Japan and not the US any longer.

Most of the bigger sellers in the US now only ship with higher cost USPS tracking/insured options and use a custom broker where you have to also pay eBay the import taxes up front.

I can easily save $70.00US for a lens selling for $150.00US if I buy it from Japan, as the US seller would charge $35.00 for shipping and I have to pay eBay another $35.00 for prepaid Canadian import taxes & broker fees. That $150.00US lens would then cost me $220.00US from the USA or just $150.00 from Japan.

If the lens comes from Japan I almost never have to pay import duties from Canada Post, unless it's really expensive and the shipping is also way faster.

Phil.
08-21-2016, 05:56 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
the shipping is also way faster.

Phil.
I clicked "Buy it now" In Toronto Canada late Saturday afternoon. The item was in my hands Thursday afternoon. Impressive doesn't begin to cover it.
09-23-2020, 07:47 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One of the things I've noticed in spending a long time looking at, and buying, Pentax camera equipment off Ebay is that the Japanese are usually much more complete and professional in posting what they sell. American sellers are often very sloppy, very brief, and show way too few photos. I find that I often have to ask numerous questions of American sellers before I can even consider whether what they are selling is of any interest or use to me, whereas the Japanese, with all their many photos and careful wordings, leaves little to ask. The other thing I've noticed is that American sellers' camera equipment on Ebay frequently appears in much worse shape than the same equipment being sold from Japan. Lenses and cameras look to have been put much more through the mill in what's sold by many American sellers. My take from this is that Japanese photographers just take much better care of their camera equipment than do Americans, generally, and I therefore am much more prone to buy from Japanese sellers, and less prone to even consider the camera equipment sold by American sellers -- especially when it comes to digital cameras (but also to a lesser extent to other camera equipment).

09-24-2020, 01:41 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cometguy Quote
One of the things I've noticed in spending a long time looking at, and buying, Pentax camera equipment off Ebay is that the Japanese are usually much more complete and professional in posting what they sell. American sellers are often very sloppy, very brief, and show way too few photos. I find that I often have to ask numerous questions of American sellers before I can even consider whether what they are selling is of any interest or use to me, whereas the Japanese, with all their many photos and careful wordings, leaves little to ask. The other thing I've noticed is that American sellers' camera equipment on Ebay frequently appears in much worse shape than the same equipment being sold from Japan. Lenses and cameras look to have been put much more through the mill in what's sold by many American sellers. My take from this is that Japanese photographers just take much better care of their camera equipment than do Americans, generally, and I therefore am much more prone to buy from Japanese sellers, and less prone to even consider the camera equipment sold by American sellers -- especially when it comes to digital cameras (but also to a lesser extent to other camera equipment).
My experience has been the same, and shipping is fast.

---------- Post added 09-24-20 at 05:01 AM ----------

Much of the difference in U.S. and Japanese camera users and dealers is understandable in light of Japanese cultural practices and the expectations and requirements of Japanese customers. Some cultural marketing practices: Japanese autos are displayed in the showroom on tilted platforms so Japanese customers can fully inspect the bottom of the auto, but in U.S. showrooms customers would have to lie on their backs on the floor to do so but in fact do not do so. In Japanese food stores, each piece of fruit is individually wrapped and placed individually in displays so that the fruit cannot be bruised by contact with other pieces of fruit, but in U.S. practice an entire basket of fruit may be "poured" into the display bin and allowed to bump against other pieces of fruit with no individual wrapping. Japanese customers may bring measuring devices to the auto showroom in order carefully to check auto body tolerances, but many American customers pay these tolerances no mind. Japanese fruit growers carefully wrap each piece of fruit while it is growing on the tree in order to prevent weather and/or insect damage while U.S. growers are more likely to leave the fruit unwrapped and instead control insect damage with various types of chemical sprays. While I am not familiar with Japanese photographic use and distribution practices, it is easy to imagine how cultural practices in other areas might translate into the photographic equipment trade.