Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2016, 08:00 AM   #1
Forum Member

Choices

When buying a camera you have many choices of formats and brands. I'm not saying one format is better or worse. I have been wanting to purchase a camera for some time now, the funds will be available to do so. I have looked at mirrorless and DSLR.

Yes personally some of the photos with mirrorless are good. Personally I still think pictures from a DSLR still have the edge in quality. Overall performance and capabilities the edge is DSLR.

I shot Pentax film for years. And it is still a working camera. Once you have shot with Pentax, you will continue to shot Pentax. The next logical step will be a Pentax DSLR, most likely the new K-70.

07-22-2016, 08:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How do you figure that a DSLR has bettere IQ over a mirrorless camera? Often times they use the same or similar sensor. The differences being view finders, brand names, and most importantly the photographer's ability to use the thing.
07-22-2016, 03:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Image quality is not the issue. I am sure a Fuji mirror less can produce as good an image as most other APS cameras. The issue for me has always been the viewfinder. I have yet to see any EVF that can compete with a good optical viewfinder.
07-22-2016, 04:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
How do you figure that a DSLR has bettere IQ over a mirrorless camera? Often times they use the same or similar sensor. The differences being view finders, brand names, and most importantly the photographer's ability to use the thing.
What you say about the photographer being a key factor is true.

Yet the fact that mirrorless cameras run their sensors continuously means they run hotter and a hot sensor is a noisier sensor (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/313736-image-no...s-cameras.html).

The EVF vs. OVF debate is a long-running one. I've used both and can see the advantages of both. An OVF avoids the lag, granularity, and contrast problems of EVFs but an EVF provides much better feedback on how the image will look under the chosen exposure conditions (no more chimping!). It's a personal decision and I can see how some photographers would get better results with each viewfinder design (and worse results with each viewfinder design.)

07-23-2016, 07:46 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
This is my own personal opinion, from comparing mirrorless photos vs DSLR photos. I felt that detail was sharper. Yes the camera is just a tool and the person using that tool is a factor. When using a tool you chose the best tool for the job at hand.