Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2016, 12:56 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I plan to clean it up, save only the pictures I need, reorganize everything in my computer, add an extra drive (not personally, I have my kid for it ).
Then re-install LR clean and start all over.

That feeling to start over grew pretty strong recently. First, I liked the quality of DSLR pictures, then I used the photography for stress relief, then it became something more, and finally I felt I don't want to do the way how I've been doing it: mostly rely on luck and equipment.

I don't want to look at other photography to learn. From some point it became useless without knowing how exactly to achieve the same level. It's more than proper exposure, composition or following the rules. It's the knowledge of many aspects I had no time to understand while running and chasing lucky pictures.
It feels like I'm finally fed up by that approach. Totally overdosed.

The shooting lost the meaning, or purpose, and I put it on hold. I've been looking to find the new meaning, and yep, I will go at stadium to shoot the game. Not for the pictures actually.
Two years ago I've been there, and I've been shooting there absolutely clueless. I set the camera to manual mode, came out with pointless boring pictures. I was overexcited, ran all around ended up with the memory card full of garbage.
After looking at those pictures again I decided it's time to repeat that shooting and see if it will be different this time.
I will not be running all around for sure this time
What I meant was that you need to understand WHY a photo is good, in order to be able to repeat it over and over and over. To stop getting lucky shots. (Plus I believe it is common that only few photos turn out good... even with pros). That is why I am recommending looking at your favorite photos, and photos from other photographers. The idea is to look at the photos and find out how they were captured. How is the light placed, where does the light come from? Why is it good? What's so great about the placement about the subject? The surrounding?

When you understand what makes a photo good, you can repeat that. Not as in copy the shots, but look for such shots around you. And when you see it, take it. Grab it.

For example look at the works of the great masters, like https://jessicalouisebell.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/hyeres_-france-1932.jpg

IMHO this is a way how you can reach that point of finally, intentionally taking great photos. I'm trying to get there, too. Btw., personally I think manual exposure is overrated. I know and understand what the settings do, I understand my camera. I don't have to be an exposure meter when shooting with a digital camera, I need to understand how the meter works, and how I influence it. How I get the look I want. What if I miss a great shot because I forgot to set the exposure right?

These days, when I walk around, I try to imagine shots when I walk around with my camera. I look for interesting angles, interesting motives, striking lines, ... . I still take a lot of garbage, sure, but hopefully it is getting better. Oh, and I like to limit myself. Mostly I'm using the 50 1.8, day and night.

Btw., I'd like to point you to the instagram of Emmanuel Lubezki, Oscar winning cinematographer. https://www.instagram.com/chivexp/ He is a magician with his camera, I think there is much you can learn from him. Same goes to movies in general. Some are better shot than others, but usually there is a reason why these people have a job. And most of all, they tell stories. I can highly recommend the works of Christopher Doyle, especially when he worked with Wong Kar Wai.

Last edited by kadajawi; 08-10-2016 at 01:04 PM.
08-10-2016, 01:25 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
These days, when I walk around, I try to imagine shots when I walk around with my camera.
I passed that approach. As well as "see and learn". As well as "learn from the best".
The point is what this all FOR? Everyone answers that question differently. I don't have the answer yet, and it's not very pleasant transition stage.
08-10-2016, 02:00 PM   #33
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The point is what this all FOR? Everyone answers that question differently. I don't have the answer yet, and it's not very pleasant transition stage.
It's different for each of us, but for the majority of us amateur photographers I'd suggest it's the satisfaction of learning and improving our technical knowledge and artistic expression, and / or plain old fun.

I get a kick from learning or discovering the "how" and "why", and I get a lot of fun from applying that knowledge and proving to myself I can do it. Sometimes, certain aspects are less fun than others, so I focus on the fun stuff until I can drive myself to push forward in other areas. And if I get tired and frustrated with the "doing", I just play with my cameras and lenses - like other guys may play with their model trains. Still other times, I just need to take a break until I miss it - and then it becomes fun again
08-10-2016, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #34
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The point is what this all FOR? Everyone answers that question differently.
For me, living alone; photography helps fill my days; and gives me pleasure trying to get good photos. Are they good? Probably not in the eyes of others, but to me, yes; and that's what counts. Hobbies help inspire us to do things; but if you are no longer looking forward to that "next" photo; then perhaps a break is needed. Also, depression could play a major roll in losing interest in what we previously enjoyed. Not saying this is your case; but something to consider.

08-10-2016, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I passed that approach. As well as "see and learn". As well as "learn from the best".
I used to take lots and lots of family photos. The K1000 was always with me, (these weren't necessarily fantastic photos as I was learning) but the kids liked goofing around in front of the camera. In 2007 my son died of a gunshot. After that my daughter left home still a teenager and is still doing crazy stupid stuff. My son used to borrow my digital camera from time to time but of course all that stopped. The family photos stopped sudden. I have these bins of albums and I think "Who will want these?" I only had two kids. (Obviously what happened with my kids is depressing not many people know this about my kids or even that I was ever a mom) Now my grandson has discovered photography and is quite good. He texts me photos from his iPhone. So he enjoys the photos and learning photography. But the "Why" for me mostly is that it makes other people happy and even though I know I am not 'fantastic' I found that people enjoy the photos. I started taking photo post cards and matted photos to a local farmers market. The expressions on the kids faces to see printed photos! I left a couple of photo postcards with the drive in bank tellers... I know the ladies.... They were so happy almost giddy! Little gifts! And my grandson well I took him out with the K3 and he got some photos, I helped him edit in Lightroom and Topaz and we printed, Matted and framed an 8x10 of one of his photos. His dad and stepmom was so impressed with his framed and signed photo that they gave him their unused Canon Rebel T2i.
08-10-2016, 04:03 PM   #36
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
For me, living alone; photography helps fill my days; and gives me pleasure trying to get good photos. Are they good? Probably not in the eyes of others, but to me, yes; and that's what counts. Hobbies help inspire us to do things; but if you are no longer looking forward to that "next" photo; then perhaps a break is needed. Also, depression could play a major roll in losing interest in what we previously enjoyed. Not saying this is your case; but something to consider.

I like your ideas on purpose.. even if one does somehow obtain THE shots of a lifetime.. then what? It is good to define an endgame to one's actions.. a reason.. even if that reason is just to be out there doing it.

When I am out, occasionally someone will ask if I'm from a newspaper or magazine... when I say no, they will always look a bit perplexed. I don't think many people have found purpose beyond just existing.. paying bills..

I get bored easily and so I go back and forth between music production and photography.. sometimes several month long trips ebbing and flowing.. I find it valuable to have another hobby/passion to break up the monotony of having just one. Plus, they have a tie-in with my Christian faith as ministries of sorts that makes the purpose endlessly valuable. And the time away from one usually gives time to percolate more ideas for the other.
08-10-2016, 04:07 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I see... I can only talk about myself. Sometimes I enjoy the process of taking photos, sometimes I enjoy the results. Some photos I am proud of, and of course I like it when others like my photos. It also helps me in finding work... knowing photography, having some experience in it, and knowing the tools (including Photoshop) is quite useful.

08-10-2016, 04:30 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The point is what this all FOR?
I think some of those questions are also answered here For me, it's trying to capture something, the essence of why a subject caught my eye, to convey the feeling I felt, to share with someone else, to preserve it for a later time.
08-10-2016, 06:07 PM   #39

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
Telescope & Mount..take up Astrophotography..it's a whole new (other) form of frustration <<<<
08-10-2016, 07:21 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Also, depression could play a major roll in losing interest in what we previously enjoyed. Not saying this is your case; but something to consider.
I'm afraid it's quite an opposite, I used this hobby as a treatment, and that explains why I became a lucky shoot chaser at the first place. Shooting pretty much saved me from falling in depression, it served the purpose.

---------- Post added 08-10-16 at 07:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
But the "Why" for me mostly is that it makes other people happy and even though I know I am not 'fantastic' I found that people enjoy the photos.
That's the powerful story. Thank you.
08-10-2016, 08:41 PM   #41
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Lana,
I've only skimmed your post and not read the replies. So maybe what I'm saying has been said, or isn't going to help.

I've gone through many phases where I've stopped shooting for months on end, or the only shots I've taken are for someone elses benefit, like a school event where they need the photos for a newsletter. It can happen weeks at a time, or for months on end. Photography is something I largely get to do only when I can squeeze out some time. And I've gotten to the point where I'm tired of rushing my photos - taking 30 photos in 10 minutes of the flowers across the street produces 30 near winners, but rarely any gems really worth processing. Having 5-10 minutes to compose a shot in a new setting might net me a winner, if only I could combine the time, the new setting and my camera. And if life is otherwise throwing me too many curve balls, the photography gets pushed aside. Even reading the forums becomes something I do of habit, but I stop commenting except for shots from a few of the "pros" here who never seem to post an image that isn't stunning. My daughter wants a Pentax camera so she can learn alongside me. There have been many moments when I've told her she can just take mine. The moods come and go, and sometimes I start to see inspiration again. I've stopped worrying about these time periods. And my photos are a mess too and are now scattered on multiple computers to the point where I don't recall what I've archived where. But this too shall pass, and I know I'm capable of taking a few good images, and even better of sometimes capturing what I can see in my mind that I know others aren't seeing, which is really my goal in taking photos.
08-10-2016, 08:51 PM - 1 Like   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Doesn't sound like your shooting at the moment has specific goals, Lana. This forum offers that with the weekly themed challenges and the use-a-lens-for-a-month threads. Their participants are the Pentaxians I actually admire most, not the rest of us who post in gear threads.

If there's a more general ennui you're experiencing, though, nobody can know what else you're encountering in life at the moment, but photography for most of us is simply a hobby. We have no great expectations of it - we don't owe it anything, it doesn't owe us.
08-11-2016, 02:53 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
This forum offers that with the weekly themed challenges and the use-a-lens-for-a-month threads.
Participating in some of these, whether they have strict limits or not, has been a great challenge for me, one that has encouraged me to try new styles, subjects, or techniques. I've also met some great Pentaxians, and learned a lot from them
08-12-2016, 11:39 AM - 2 Likes   #44
Pentaxian

Let me respond to some of your comments also, even though I've read through the whole thread and I think you've already got lots of advice that's much better than anything I could offer.

.....I still don't understand how, but the more I've been shooting with K-1, the more I felt like I have to slow down. Like the camera itself has been pushing me to stop.
Well, I don't feel like the camera is pushing me to stop, but I do agree there's something about the K-1 that makes me more deliberate in my photography now. And by deliberate, I mean taking longer to press the shutter release. There's certainly no quality improvement artistically over any other camera I've used, but I get the same feeling that you are describing from using it, and I'm not sure why. I've also picked up some film bodies, too, which may also have something to do with it.

...It has been about 3 weeks since I stopped shooting. My Lightroom catalogue is the total mess, with about 22K pictures, and about 80% of them is the total rubbish. And I still don't know how to organize it efficiently.
I went through a year long hiatus just before I switched to Pentax. The stuff I had was just too big and heavy, and I got tired of hauling my gear around. This attitude hindered my growth, I think. I wasn't improving. So, I just stopped caring about photography for at least a year. When I got the "itch" again, I knew needed a more portable system, and this forum sold me on Pentax.

As far as cataloging files in LR, I just make sure I tag everything before filing. The tags I've used, and the depth to which I tag photos has been a moving target for me, but as long as your photos are findable in the keyword index, I don't worry about organizing them in folders.

...I can't judge my own work, I don't see where is good, and where is not really a winner.
I've never thought my "work" meant much to anyone. Although I never had any expectations that it would, I am still sometimes disappointed that it doesn't. But it didn't stop me from putting up a Flickr display of over 2500 images for some reason. I've met a lot of great people along the way, mostly from this forum, and I almost always have fun using my equipment. I don't remember who said it in this thread, but sometimes I also like to play with my stuff when I'm not shooting like model train guys might, so there's that too. So maybe, as the saying goes, perhaps the point to all this is the journey and not the destination.

Last edited by jcdoss; 08-12-2016 at 11:51 AM.
08-14-2016, 05:56 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
There's certainly no quality improvement artistically over any other camera I've used, but I get the same feeling that you are describing from using it, and I'm not sure why. I've also picked up some film bodies, too, which may also have something to do with it.
Exactly the same.
Of course, the camera itself and entirely can't be responsible for it, but somehow it takes a part in my slowing and thinking what I want from shooting. Before I was simply enjoying by pushing the button the most. Not any more. I'm more about enjoying with results now.
Perhaps, the feeling is so strong because it matches in time with taking seriously printing a.k.a "wow, what a difference between online and printing, contests a.k.a that's educational, and it triggers the desire to know more.

I assume sooner or later, after knowing relations between aperture, speed, and ISO, everyone somehow moves to the next step of exploring. Someone might do it even without realizing, some gets a bumpy road with slowing down and rethinking the approach.
So, after reading all responses I realized that it's normal to take breaks, it's just feels... weird

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I've never thought my "work" meant much to anyone.
I don't care what my work means for anyone, honestly. It's all about personal satisfaction. It's a hobby. If I would do it for clients, I would care only about their satisfaction with the work they pay for. It's totally different approach, and yes, in that case I would care what others think.