Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2016, 11:40 PM   #1

Pentax autofocus compared to others?

I see a lot of references to Pentax' AF system, and how it lags behind its competitors. Is it really that much slower than Canikon and Sony? At all levels of use and across the range of cameras? I have a k3, and find it to be fast and accurate. If there's a problem with focus, it's invariably me. Additionally, does the AF on the K1 blow away the K3? I'd be interested in the responses of those who have 2 different systems. Is there anywhere pentax beats their competitors? Thanks!

08-07-2016, 12:08 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it helps to keep things in perspective a bit. Commentary on AF performance is only ever relative to contemporary rivals. Compare a K-3 to rival models five years older and it beats them hands down. That doesn't seem to result in the older rival models being suddenly labelled as garbage and nor should it.

I managed shooting sports and aviation with a K20D and then found my keeper rate improved with the K-3ii. I didn't need to start hand wringing over the fact that spending a few extra thousand dollars would improve it again. If your monetary income relies on AF performance fair enough, but for the rest of us it's all a bit trivial really.

It makes we wonder how the oldies like my grandfather ever coped with manual lenses (and no viewfinder.)
08-07-2016, 12:08 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I have two Pentax cameras, from both ends of the APS-C sensor size lineup (namely K-S1 and K-3 II) and still have a Canon. To be really honest, my Canon is in fact faster and more precise when it comes to autofocus, but also only slightly, by a hairpin. I found everything else to be in favor of my Pentax cameras, starting and ending with image quality and got used to rely on focus confirmation while manually focusing as I am not shooting sports, rather everything else... So, I think that Canons generally do have a slight edge in that area but that's it. Guess that's why I always take either one or both my Pentax cameras with me, wherever I go. (I refer to cameras made in the past few years as jawsy made a very clear and well presented point about older generations vs newer ones)
08-07-2016, 12:24 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jawsy Quote
I think it helps to keep things in perspective a bit. Commentary on AF performance is only ever relative to contemporary rivals. Compare a K-3 to rival models five years older and it beats them hands down. That doesn't seem to result in the older rival models being suddenly labelled as garbage and nor should it.

I managed shooting sports and aviation with a K20D and then found my keeper rate improved with the K-3ii. I didn't need to start hand wringing over the fact that spending a few extra thousand dollars would improve it again. If your monetary income relies on AF performance fair enough, but for the rest of us it's all a bit trivial really.
It makes we wonder how the oldies like my grandfather ever coped with manual lenses (and no viewfinder.)

Sir, the OP asked how the AF compares to the competition. What you said, is the equivalent of saying that cars are faster than running, which was faster than walking.
Let' s be honnest, Pentax uses this excuse (lame in my opinion) that its cameras are for stills/ landscape.
I call it lame as they are not thought from the beginning for this, as they do have a AF system (poor) .
So to answer your question (OP) , they lag behind contemporary cameras (some that used them for a while and then switched, would dare to say their AF system sucks) .
But if you are not that interested in moving subjects, buy a Pentax body and manual or A lenses (they are good) .

08-07-2016, 01:10 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Owning both a Pentax K-1 and a Nikon D810 at the moment, I can say that the Pentax AF system does lag behind Nikon's, but it really isn't a huge difference unless you're pushing things to the limit for action shooting. In the latter scenario, the Nikon is simply able to adjust the focus more quickly, thanks to faster in-camera calculations as well as faster AF motors. The greater number of AF points helps, but it really boils down to the technical implementation. That's where the SAFOX hardware falls short, IMO.

That said, for "everyday shooting" such as landscapes, portraits, and travel shots, there really isn't much of a downside to the Pentax (if any). I've been using the K-1 pretty much exclusively since it came out, and I'm happy with it. I don't feel like I've been held back by the AF system. It's great in low light, too.

Ironically, the only thing I wish Pentax would improve is contrast detect focusing when magnification is on. I do a lot of product/food photography, and being able to blow up the image while operating CDAF on the Nikon is awesome. On the Pentax, it just zooms you out and ends up giving you a less precise result than the Nikon. Of course, you can not be lazy and just focus manually, but the CDAF still gives you a great starting point, and having the camera reset the zoom can get annoying.

I really like the "proper" viewfinder overlay found in the K-1. Minimally, compared to the K-3, it gives you better feedback on what the camera has focused on, so you can decide whether or not to take the shot, or re-focus.

YMMV, but the widespread claim that "Pentax AF sucks" is far from accurate IMO. "Pentax AF isn't cutting edge" would be more appropriate, because in all fairness, it isn't. But most users will still be happy with it

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-07-2016, 01:23 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What Adam said.
08-07-2016, 02:18 AM   #7
JXL

I have been a Pentax shooter for many years. I always assumed that auto-focus was way behind the competition. Recently I had an 'opportunity' to switch systems (my equipment got stolen), but still decided to stay at Pentax. I borrowed the Nikon d7100 a bit and the auto-focus is noticeable better than Pentax.. Still, I think Pentax auto-focus speed and accuracy for day to day shooting is sufficient. The continues auto-focus of Nikon is way better. At the end I again chose the Pentax K over Nikon, because you get more features for less money with Pentax.

A last point, which has not been mentioned yet in previous posts. The line up of affordable silent auto-focus (SDM for Pentax) lens models lacks behind to competition. Most Pentax lenses are noisy screw focus lenses.

08-07-2016, 03:35 AM   #8
amp

Original Poster
Thanks for the opinions/responses. It'd be nice to try out Canon and Nikon's k3 equivalent to get an idea of how much faster/slower they are. If pentax were to catch up vis-a-vis AF, I'm curious how much more market share they'd have? Thanks again.
08-07-2016, 04:51 AM   #9

Well, before I made my plunge into K-3 II looked at competition, regardless of the fact I was already very much pleased with K-S1. Somehow Nikon D7100 popped out as a camera that was frequently compared side-by-side with K-3 and then, Nikon D7200 vs K-3 II. Went through all the specs, looked at the pricing and ended up purchasing my K-3 II for 700€ brand new with zero actuations and zero problems ever since. Of course, already had a few excellent lenses like Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 and Tamron 90mm F2.8 macro lens and of course DA 50 F1.8 which I bought while using K-S1 (didn't have any of these before I bought the K-S1)
K-3 II has a faster and more precise autofocus than K-S1 but also, noticed that it works faster with faster lenses. With Sigma's older 28-300mm lens, the AF was terrible. I was really close to get back to Canon but then I bought the DA 50mm F1.8 lens which actually works really fast, no hesitation, no hunting which made me think a bit. So, my conclusion was that the AF is as good as good is the lens (on the same body)... As I said, maybe a bit slower than on some other brands, but still precise and fast enough as I'm not really chasing jet fighters or dog races...
08-07-2016, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

When we compare the speed and precision of AF system from Pentax to Canon and Nikon, we must consider one big structural difference. In lens stabilization versus on sensor stabilization. In lens stabilization send a stabilized image not only to the imaging sensor, but prior to that, to the AF sensor. So, the phase detect AF can work much easy, because they have a stable signal to judge. Pentax, doesn't have this benefit. The image received by the AF sensor is always a little or more shaky. So, If we keep this in mind, Pentax AF speed is very good. Also, this structural difference affects the precision of the focusing.

I had a number of different Pentax cameras, and now I use a Canon 60D, and AF precision is no longer a problem, as it was sometimes with Pentax, as long I use a Canon stabilized lens. But for very low light, is nowhere near the performance of K-5 IIs, a camera which is capable to focus where I could not see with my own eyes. And I presume that more recent Pentax models are better.
08-07-2016, 06:14 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Since we are talking about Pentax vs AF of other brands, does anyone here compared Pentax AF (i.e K-1, K-3ii vs Fuji X-T2 AF?

Or how about Nikon D750 vs K-1?
08-07-2016, 06:22 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I would like to expand this discussion a little.
1. When we are comparing focus speed & Accuracy to Canon & Nikon are we considering all lenses or mainly SDM or DC autofocus zooms? I have DA Limiteds, all screwdrive and find them very fast focusing lenses, as fast as any Canon or Nikon I have tried. On the other hand my DA* 200 SDM definitely seems too slow for my liking and my DA 17-70 seems to have a split personality. It has very fast quiet autofocus when there is good light and contrast. Unfortunately, it is a lot slower when I am using it in low light or poor contrast zoomed out to the 70 mm end.
2. Does the perception of poorer autofocus performance apply only to Pentax lenses ( in articular quiet focus versions) or to third party, mainly Sigma HSM lenses on Pentax bodies as well. If the Sigma HSM lenses provide a faster quieter autofocus then Pentax branded lenses, I would certainly consider one, as a walk around zoom if it would be significantly better than the DA 17-70 I currently have.
08-07-2016, 06:23 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Owning both a Pentax K-1 and a Nikon D810 at the moment, I can say that the Pentax AF system does lag behind Nikon's, but it really isn't a huge difference unless you're pushing things to the limit for action shooting. In the latter scenario, the Nikon is simply able to adjust the focus more quickly, thanks to faster in-camera calculations as well as faster AF motors. The greater number of AF points helps, but it really boils down to the technical implementation. That's where the SAFOX hardware falls short, IMO.

That said, for "everyday shooting" such as landscapes, portraits, and travel shots, there really isn't much of a downside to the Pentax (if any). I've been using the K-1 pretty much exclusively since it came out, and I'm happy with it. I don't feel like I've been held back by the AF system. It's great in low light, too.

Ironically, the only thing I wish Pentax would improve is contrast detect focusing when magnification is on. I do a lot of product/food photography, and being able to blow up the image while operating CDAF on the Nikon is awesome. On the Pentax, it just zooms you out and ends up giving you a less precise result than the Nikon. Of course, you can not be lazy and just focus manually, but the CDAF still gives you a great starting point, and having the camera reset the zoom can get annoying.

I really like the "proper" viewfinder overlay found in the K-1. Minimally, compared to the K-3, it gives you better feedback on what the camera has focused on, so you can decide whether or not to take the shot, or re-focus.

YMMV, but the widespread claim that "Pentax AF sucks" is far from accurate IMO. "Pentax AF isn't cutting edge" would be more appropriate, because in all fairness, it isn't. But most users will still be happy with it
Amen!
08-07-2016, 06:27 AM   #14
Pentaxian

How many thread like this one do we need, a bold general brand statement without any consideration of camera model? When are we going to get a AF mode review and AF selection manual instead? Anyone having had AF issue immediately blame the camera brand instead of trying to understand why AF failed to focus correctly? When you blame the camera, you don't learn anything. When you try to understand, you give yourself a chance to learn and become a better photographer.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 08-07-2016 at 06:32 AM.
08-07-2016, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #15
amp

Original Poster
I started the thread, and I mentioned that I had the K3, which I'm very happy with! I read a bit of complaining about the pentax AF system in general. So, I was curious if there was really anything to it? Simple as that!!