Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2016, 09:14 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
They're keepers if they convey the same emotion or amazement or whimsy your eyes captured. Sharpness, color accuracy and technical proficiency are all secondary. If the picture has no meaning why keep it? If it does why get rid of it?
that's my process, except once i determine if it conveys emotion THEN i evaluate technical proficiency.

a keeper must meet BOTH standards AND then be the BEST of the series.

i may keep 2 or three additional shots from the same series, but only the "keeper" will ever see the inside of photoshop.

on average that's about a 1:10 ratio for landscape work and close to a 1:25 ratio for action.

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Guys (and gals), I'm curious. How do you define a keeper? Will you delete non-keepers? I can't ever imagine deleting all photos I wouldn't want to print...
it's pretty common for a day's shots of around 1500 to be reduced to 200. the rest are deleted.
of the 200 survivors, 2 may be keepers. it depends on the number of subjects.

my most recent keeper was a grand canyon sunset image. i took ~1 image every 30 seconds for about an 90 mins. of those 180, 1! was a keeper, 100 were deleted. the other 79 sit in limbo my HD. i would guess another 20 or so will get deleted over the next year as i go back and cull on occasion. for many years now i have managed to divest myself of any emotion for a photo so there is no reason to keep an image for sentimentality sake

Last edited by nomadkng; 09-02-2016 at 09:22 AM.
09-02-2016, 12:14 PM   #47
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Before I even download pictures, I usually review them as thumbnails, and deselect all the obviously poor shots, if it doesn't look good from the standpoint of focus, exposure, composition, blur in a small size, it's not likely to look better full size. I evaluate why the shot doesn't quite get it, and file that away for the next time.
If I shoot multiple shots of the same subject at nearly the same angle, lighting, exposure, etc, there can only be one that's worth keeping, IMO. I do slowly review each of those shots, evaluate why one is better than the other, but I don't need more than one shot of any subjects other than family and friends. The only exception to this are shooting objects in motion, or if I select one shot for B&W. and a similar shot for color.
The reason I do all this is because I want to save myself time to work on the few potential keepers, I don't kid myself that I can save a bad shot, nor do I tell myself I will come back and fix shots. If it wasn't important enough for me to tag and title within 48 hours of routine shooting, I will probably not look at it ever again. Only the shots that I've actually given a name go to the backup drive. I don't want to wade through 10000 items labelled "IMGXXXX". Storage might be cheap, by my time is limited.
I also do this to discipline myself not to take a photograph unless I've gotten as much as possible right before I press the shutter button. Whenever possible, I like to take my time to compose a shot, get the settings right, and take the photo knowing I've got one worth keeping, one that I'll gladly take time to touch up in PP.