Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
08-20-2016, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dxo optics velvia emulation is much much less electric. These colors are oversaturated and cartoonish.

08-20-2016, 12:11 PM   #17
Veteran Member

My favourite Negative film was Kodak Porta VC ('Vivid Colour') ....a nice balance of good skin tones with a little 'punch' in the primary colours.
08-20-2016, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
So I was posting some of my digital images finished up with a Velvia 100 filter, and am getting mixed reviews.
Frankly, I think those pictures are gorgeous. I like to see pictures the way you like them, not some generic compromise that attempts to make everybody happy. If some people love them and some people hate them, that's better than nobody gives a damn either way. In my opinion, at least.
08-20-2016, 12:46 PM   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I have limited film experience, however... I'm a little surprised no-one has mentioned Fujifilm Superia yet. It's pretty true-to-life in my view (though, as a result, not all that punchy). It's a nice, reasonably inexpensive film that's still available in a number of speeds...

08-20-2016, 01:39 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
Your images display fully, without any scrolling required, on my MacBook Pro and on my desktop Dell.
Depends on browser and forum settings Chrome will auto-scale page elements to fit the window. Some of the "skins" ("modern") use mark-up to scale to a maximum width while others ("classic" and "simple") don't. In all cases, the full number of bytes are sent to the requesting device. The images on the original post account for >10 MBytes download. It is possible the OP was unaware that Flickr provide the option to link to smaller versions and I will edit my note to include that information.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-20-2016 at 01:50 PM.
08-20-2016, 08:15 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Any slide film simulation is going to give you a higher contrast result with less dynamic range. Velvia color saturation was second only to Kodachrome. If you want to tone down the color saturation Iʻd agree with those that suggested Ektar. Any color negative will lower the contrast and saturation, and Ektar, for most applications, is the king.
08-20-2016, 10:17 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My current favourite slide film is Fuji Provia 100F, similar to Kodak E100G. Still not much of an Ektar fan, if I do shoot colour negative then CineStill 50 would be it.

Yep nothing will ever touch Kodachrome, best film ever made.

Phil.

08-20-2016, 11:45 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The colors of your train photos look like postcards from the 60's. Not necessarily bad, if that's the way you like/want it.

If you are looking for a film recommendation, I like Portra. But it's a negative film, not a slide film.
08-21-2016, 12:49 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Those digital images don't look anything like Velvia to me. It's a film I've used very little (it's incredibly expensive these days) and in 120 format I got good results, in 135 format they were terrible, but that's due to my scanner not being able to get the colours right.

If you want the Velvia look then shoot Velvia, don't try to imitate it with digital. If you want a more subtle, realistic film for general use then try Portra 160 or Fuji Pro 160NS. The latter is my favourite film ever but unfortunately is only available in 120 format.
08-21-2016, 01:06 AM   #25
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DougieD Quote
Frankly, I think those pictures are gorgeous. I like to see pictures the way you like them, not some generic compromise that attempts to make everybody happy. If some people love them and some people hate them, that's better than nobody gives a damn either way. In my opinion, at least.
Dougie, I'm with you on this. I actually like those photos a lot... I think with digital photography we can sometimes get a little preoccupied with reproducing colours accurately; I've certainly got caught up in that myself, using calibration tools and profiling to normalise colour reproduction in images from different cameras and lenses. But it seems to me that people were more adventurous with colour in the days before digital photography through the use of different films, and a lot of those film images have more character as a result.
08-21-2016, 02:14 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bewatek Quote
At least their german site lists the Precisa 100 as a current product.

If you are interested in film simulations try DxO Film Pack 5. It has many fujifilm simulations including Velvia 50 and 100 and even Agfa Precisa 100.
I dont know about the Precisa but the Velvias look quite authentic as far as film simulations go.
Only downside is that its quite expensive.

Edit: They have a 30 day trial version, maybe it can help you find the look you want.
QuoteOriginally posted by Bewatek Quote
Only downside is that its quite expensive.
The complete DxO suit is a little bit more expensive than a copy of the student edition of PSe + PRe, and if they are a little bit cheaper, I might actually consider that instead of my Adobe CC student pack.
08-21-2016, 06:51 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Velvia's colors were always a little more punchy than other films, but that's why I loved it. I think that Velvia filter you used is a wee bit too harsh in terms of trying to emulate the look of Velvia.
08-21-2016, 07:51 AM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Velvia's colors were always a little more punchy than other films, but that's why I loved it. I think that Velvia filter you used is a wee bit too harsh in terms of trying to emulate the look of Velvia.
Agreed...Velvia is punchy (much more so than contemporary Kodachromes), but smooth. The emulation photos in the original post are a caricature of the Velvia look. The cool part is that Velvia is still available as one of the few films that Fuji has not discontinued. It is pricey, but probably worth the experience just to say one has done so. The OP should give it a try.

Steve
08-21-2016, 07:53 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Agreed...Velvia is punchy (much more so than contemporary Kodachromes), but smooth. The emulation photos in the original post are a caricature of the Velvia look. The cool part is that Velvia is still available as one of the few films that Fuji has not discontinued. It is pricey, but probably worth the experience just to say one has done so. The OP should give it a try.

Steve
It will be a few weeks before I can get to the U.S. and get my hands on a (new) old Sears (Chinon) SLR and test out my Super-Tak with Velvia.
08-21-2016, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
Is that a matter of personal taste or is Velvia really not that realistic?
I am sorry: as a long time film photographer I have to be critical here. However, I am only responding because you invited opinions and responses. I intend no offence.

The colours in the images you posted are, in my opinion......lurid, unrealistic, lacking subtlety, frankly, horrible. Sorry again but sometimes one has to speak directly.

I confess that the only digital photos I take are on a ten year old point and shoot camera. I don't use any after exposure processing and I loathe the overuse of High Dynamic Range that I witness being used by numerous digital photographers.

These facts so might explain my opinions and perhaps dated attitudes

When I want more "quality", more "authenticity", more "elegance", I use my Pentax film camera, loaded with any of the universally acknowledged higher quality colour or black and white film. (Fujicolor, Ilford, Kodak, etc.).