Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2016, 05:38 AM   #151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I purchased the K-1 because I wanted it without analyzing things too much but reading dear old Norm's logic about not getting one I now realise I made a bad choice, I feel hopelessly inadequate and suicidal about it; must take a Valium now to calm me down.

But if nothing else it is a good example of the OP's observation

P.S.
"Dear old" is a term of endearment in my country !

08-30-2016, 05:46 AM   #152
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
I purchased the K-1 because I wanted it without analyzing things too much but reading dear old Norm's logic about not getting one I now realise I made a bad choice, I feel hopelessly inadequate and suicidal about it; must take a Valium now to calm me down.

But if nothing else it is a good example of the OP's observation

P.S.
"Dear old" is a term of endearment in my country !
A K-1 may still be on the table for me.... so I have no idea what you're talking about. My big decision at the moment is K-1 or 645z for my next body. Whichever I choose will be my next landscape camera. My K-3 will still be my birding camera....

So, I'm not really sure where you're going with this?

Are you saying all your shots are birding shots? Well then, I understand why you feel stupid.

I guess anyone who claims they still have a use for their K-3, is worthy of Rupert like scorn. I have to remind you though, Rupert never owned a K-3, he has no idea what he's talking about.

I also still have a use for my K-5. And occasionally I even take out my K20D, so shoot me.

But allow me to reiterate, because of my high proportion of birding and wildlife images, and the fact that those are the images that give me the most pleasure, I'll keep my K-3 as my first camera. I suggest, if you are of the same mindset, you do the same. If you aren't of the same mindset don't base your decisions on what I think. You don't value what I value, my decisions are irrelevant to you.

One of my birding buddies uses a Canon point and shoot with an equivalent to 24 to 800mm zoom lens on it. Are you guys going to ridicule him for not buying a K-1 too?

You'd think preferring something other than the latest greatest Pentax is the crime of the century. It's a different format with different strengths and weaknesses. Not everyone is going to prefer the K-1. And they all shouldn't become targets for posts like that because of that. Honestly this new arrogance among K-1 users is ruining the forum for those of us for whom APS-c has a lot to offer. Dude, just because Pentax released the K-1, doesn't make APS-c obsolete. I know many Nikon users who continue to use APS-c even though they've had FF available for years.

I know what I want and why. Only you can make up your mind as to whether something else is for you. SO if you feel like you need a valium because you read one of my posts,
1. There's an ignore list.
2. My writing is for mature folks who understand their own needs and mindset, and won't be overly influenced by mine. I try and explain what I'm thinking in enough detail that people will understand whether my post has any meaning for them, If you didn't get it, that's on you.

Hope this doesn't cause another Valium episode, how's your prescription holding up? Ready for a refill... don't run out now.

Next time maybe take it after you post.

But that does illustrate how the forum has changed. We now have K-1 users dumping on K-3 users for their choice of camera, and letting all the K-1 hype con them into thinking the K-1 is the best camera for all purposes. We'll have to start calling them "Rupert's minions. "

The only folks conned into believing Rupert's rants are those who don't know any more than he does. I'm not sure that's a group anyone should be proud to be a part of.

We have created a breed of Pentax users just as condescending and just as nasty as anything Canon and Nikon have to offer.

Last edited by normhead; 08-30-2016 at 07:26 AM.
08-30-2016, 06:43 AM   #153
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Well said, Ross.
Yes, and worth reading again!

---------- Post added 08-30-16 at 09:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I guess Rupert runs the forum now, This is what you have to look forward to if he thinks you've in some way contradicted him.

How many forum rules does this nonsense break?
Was it the compliments I gave you that set you off Norm? Over the past few years no single poster has been more complimentary of your work than me. I never realized that they were unwanted and must have infuriated you...just why I would not know?

Friends....yes I do have a lot of friends, and I cherish and admire every one....some for their skills and some for their good humor and pleasant attitudes. I never have too many friends, and though I thought you were one of them, I somehow failed to win your friendship. Friends disagree, get cross-ways at times, but remain friends...knowing that friendship can ride rough waters and survive stronger and closer.

I will do my best to avoid you in the future to prevent any hostility and disharmony here....I apologize for whatever I have done that has set you off and though I can't speak for my little squirrel buddy (He still thinks you are the greatest!) I will tell him to steer clear of you too. Hope he listens...he is as hard headed as you are!

Best Regards!
Rupert
08-30-2016, 08:06 AM - 3 Likes   #154
Veteran Member

Honestly this new arrogance among K-1 users is ruining the forum for those of us for whom APS-c has a lot to offer. Dude, just because Pentax released the K-1, doesn't make APS-c obsolete.
I thought I had read most recent posts here about the K-1, and I don't think I have see any K-1 users being arrogant in a way that might reasonably be expected to ruin things for APS-C users. Nor any K-1 users claiming that it makes APS-C obsolete, which would be a weird claim. Especially given that the latest Pentax camera is an APS-C camera, and the latest K-mount lens is an APS-C lens with a more advanced mount than any Pentax FF lens.

We now have K-1 users dumping on K-3 users for their choice of camera, and letting all the K-1 hype con them into thinking the K-1 is the best camera for all purposes. .
Similarly, I don't recall seeing any K-1 users dumping on K-3 users for their choice of camera. (I suspect many K-1 users once chose K-3s, so we would be dumping on ourselves!) Nor any of them making the outlandish claim that the K-1 is the best camera for all purposes. I think any such claim would quickly be refuted by other K-1 users! We are in a position to know it isn't.

I suppose that describing our experiences with the K-1 might make some people a bit envious! But that would hardly be surprising for a camera that was released 3 years later and costs more. (I'm sometimes a bit envious about 1D-series users and D5 users. But that is my problem). The K-1 hasn't made the K-3 regress in any way. The K-3 is still as capable as it ever was. Probably more so, because other aspects of the total system and workflow have improved, such as lenses, memory cards, flash-units, software, printers, etc.

08-30-2016, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #155
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While I probably never will have a K-1; I'm very happy Pentax brought it out, and members here are buying & enjoying the capabilities of it.

My K3 has more options than I'll ever use; fits very well in my hands, and best of all, I love the images it's capable of!

I've also not seen any snobbery of K-1 users against the K3; if there are, that's their problem, and we don't have to read their posts. All I've seen is very happy users, and happy that Pentax has given another "nitch" in which we can grow in our photography.
08-30-2016, 08:44 AM - 4 Likes   #156
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There has been a unanimous mod decision that this thread is better off closed.The bickering between people which seems to have taken over the thread isn't nice and isn't why we're here.
Closed Thread