Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2016, 05:38 PM   #31
Pentaxian

I am sorry to hear of your divorce. I hope in the end it all works out for the better for you. Get out and take some relaxing time taking photographs. Doing what you enjoy most is the best healing you can do for yourself. It does not matter one bit what camera body or lenses you are using. They are all great and will serve you well.

Best Wishes! John

08-26-2016, 05:44 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
The forum seems very different today than it did 8 to 10 months ago.
Good to see you back...I've wondered where you went?

I have a different view than yours on the Forum. To me it seems about like it has always been.There are ups and downs, in particular when a new flagship camera comes out.
We are also in the middle of a political season and tensions are running high in people's lives which tends to make them a little "jumpy" and somewhat irritable..or a lot irritable.

I notice personally, my views here tend to follow my particular moods.....I think we are all that way to some extent. If I am in a great mood, the sun seems brighter. Bad mood and it is not so appealing. Granted, there are skirmishes here, but there have always been some. So far, I don't think anyone has died, but it does get a little rough at times. The Mods do an excellent job of pulling the plug when necessary.

Anyhow, that's my view......someone may want to start an opposing argument?

Best Regards & again, good to have you back!
08-26-2016, 05:46 PM   #33
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think there's a minority that's quite vocal but ultimately not representative of the typical K-1 owner. Most people got the camera, love it, and are enjoying shooting with it, posting pics along the way.

Some wish they could have it but can't afford it, and rant about the price or value. Others wish it had every feature available and rant about that. As new products are released, I think those rants will die down, though. They seem to be confined to a few bigger threads. I always advocate an open-minded attitude, as no camera manufacturer will ever make a single perfect camera for everyone

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-26-2016, 06:08 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is definitely life after divorce! I tend to ignore the negativity and ugliness. I love this forum and although I am not much of a contributor, i have learned so much and enjoy hanging out with fellow Pentaxians.

08-26-2016, 06:11 PM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

Least we forget the release of the K1 has brought forth some who possibly wouldn't consider using a Pentax prior. With that brings forth a lot of comment based on other camera use and unfamiliarity with the Pentax system.
08-26-2016, 06:23 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good to see you back Boris. I hope things continue to improve for you.
08-26-2016, 06:34 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Least we forget the release of the K1 has brought forth some who possibly wouldn't consider using a Pentax prior. With that brings forth a lot of comment based on other camera use and unfamiliarity with the Pentax system.
I could not agree more with you!

The K1 and "Pixel Shift" are what brought me over to Pentax. I have extensive experience with most of the other camera systems, but for my still life and landscape photos nothing beats my Pentax K1.

But I sure don't have a reverence for "everything" Pentax. Before buying my K1, I owned 4 different Pentax APS-C digital cameras. They were all OK, but it's the K1 that finally made me a believer.
08-26-2016, 07:08 PM   #38

It's Change.

Up until a year ago Pentax was sailing along nicely. APS-C, weather proofing, pop-up flash. K50, KS-2, K3 all pretty much the same just different sensors.
Then Ricoh decides to innovate and along comes the K3-ii. Whoa! No pop-up flash, GPS, Pixel Shift.
Some people loved it and said so, some people hated it and said so.
Then finally the K1 arrives. But its different! Strange twisty screen, 3 dials, and through no fault of its own an image quality that betters any APS-C sensor. Ricoh would have been stupid to have made a FF only as good as an APS-C.
So finally Pentax owners can become passionate about their cameras and say so. It is a bit sad that sometimes it becomes My Pentax is BETTER than Your Pentax though.
In time as Ricoh continues to create new and interesting Pentax cameras it will be back to the good old "Our Pentaxs are better than everything else".

08-26-2016, 07:16 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Discussions seem to be more argumentative and more polarizing. People are digging their heels in and trying to beat their opinions in. There are more dehumanizing comments between members posted in threads during disagreements than I have ever seen.
Know-it-All vs. Smart Alec vs. Whiz Kid have been abundant as of late on this forum.

But cheer up! They'll return to back seat one of these days!

In the meantime, welcome back aboard!
08-26-2016, 07:30 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome back and I hope things really improve for you.

There are times when one would think that certain threads are trying to solve world hunger, but for the most part, the threads are just giving one in-site into the posters "now".
08-26-2016, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

I have always seen a variety of threads, differing opinions, similar opinions, some incorrect posts, some exactly right posts, and other forum members have given me advice that I appreciate very much. I would say that those components have always existed in one way or another. The K-1 is a stealthy/versatile product, along with its' other K series Pentax flagship models. They all have threads that discuss them. Sometimes the thread title and following comments are really untrue, which a knowledgeable Pentax user will usually find incorrect and have the option of posting the real truth or just ignoring what is known to be untrue. The forums are still forums, I am grateful/thankful to be a member, and I respect the good members of the forums.
08-26-2016, 08:34 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome back!

I hope and pray you will be able to find happiness and purpose in your "new" life after such a huge change...

Regarding the negativity - Like Paul said earlier, I also tend to keep mostly to the photography side of the site and don't get involved much in threads that become argumentative, especially if they already start with a negative title. Being a half full kind of guy, I've mostly seen how excited a lot of people are about their K-1s, but also about their APS-C cameras and lenses, and I think that has drowned out the other stuff, at least for me
08-26-2016, 10:03 PM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm relatively new here, and maybe I'm not reading all the threads that people think are more combative, but it seems certainly less argumentative here than on dpreview.
08-26-2016, 10:13 PM   #44
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
I'm relatively new here, and maybe I'm not reading all the threads that people think are more combative, but it seems certainly less argumentative here than on dpreview.
Thank goodness!!!
08-26-2016, 11:05 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GUB brought up an interesting point. Years ago Konica came out with an aperture priority auto camera that used Leica M mount and had TTL flash. People were posting ridiculous things like the flange to film distance was different. Why would a company make a camera claiming compatibility but make it incompatible? At that time I figured that Leica probably inspired such concerns. It may be that competitors have concerns about Pentax. It may just be that the forum has become a little too much like yelp. A friend had a customer who wanted him to provide a serviced for free that the company charged for. When the customer didn't get the service for free he posted on yelp a big story that was about 10% true as a get-back.
We just need to be like those nice people at Pentax Forums
Closed Thread