Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2016, 09:12 AM - 3 Likes   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting, with the final death of the whole equivalence/total light nonsense, I find the forum tends to get down to real photographic topics a lot sooner. I know there are a lot of people so thrilled with their K-1 their objectivity is a little skewed, but I solve that by staying out of the K-1 threads.

It also usually helps me avoid the 'Since I bought my K-1 I don't even use my K-3 crowd." I have a K-3 but i still use my k-5 from time to time. SO that, is not part of my world. Tess has never felt the need to upgrade from her K-5... the K-1 seems to have spawned the same kind of egotistical posts the D800 spawned. "Your camera sucks so bad i won't even use mine anymore." Fine whatever, not worth commenting on.

Many have moved on from the APS-c threads to the K-1 thread so I actually find things a little less intense. We've split what was once a sold body of APS-c shooters in half.

Personally I'm still sorting through 645z or K-1 issues. Like following the relevant posts, but I'm still of a K-3 and 645z opinion if I can afford it. So the K-1 stuff is largely irrelevant. I'm not thinking of the K-1 or 645z to replace my K-3. Not going to happen. I'm thinking of them to replace my landscape camera, my K-5. Very little of what's posted in the K-1 threads is relevant to that.

But, my favourite threads... the 300mm plus club... Yardbirds, post your photos, are largely unaffected. The drop off in K-3 shooters is disappointing but, so was the drop off in K-5 shooters when the K-3 came out. That's just the evolution of things, and the 18-135 club has really slowed down. The new K-1 based clubs that have taken over, are not really of interest. So it's a different place.... but only because I happy using 3 year old gear.

You always think, at some point in your ol age you reach that point where you're happy with what you've got and you don't need anything else. New stuff is just un-necssary gadgetry. You get caught in a time warp. I know record store owners who are still caught up in the 60s, they got into their time warp early....
I'm starting to wonder if the K-3 , K-5 combo are going to be my time warp. The K-3 lets me crop wildlife, better than 95% of the DSLRs in existence , the K5 gives me terrific Dynamic Range better than 95% of the DSLRs. I wonder if I'll still be shooting with this gear 10 years from now, and people on the street will stop and admire the antique camera gear. "Look at the really old geezer with the really old camera." You never know... this could be it for me.

The forum is a lot less interesting, when you aren't shopping for new gear.

Last edited by normhead; 08-27-2016 at 09:19 AM.
08-27-2016, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The forum is a lot less interesting, when you aren't shopping for new gear.
LOL! (but true)
08-27-2016, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #63
Veteran Member

I have only been posting for probably 2 years and I have not posted as much lately. I am pretty picky about the posts I look through but a few I have seen, that I have been in, what I think would be supportive posts, have been rather nasty. As I tell my kids, if you have nothing nice to say, move on. But there seem to be a few people who only post to argue. Maybe they believe they have a point, maybe they do, I don't really care because it's been inappropriate in the posts I have seen the hostility, so I just move on (so whatever point they are trying to make I dismiss quite quickly if it's unrelated to the post or they are rude or you know, mostly I don't care at all what others think, but they keep yapping away thinking I do) I don't got time for that.
08-27-2016, 12:25 PM   #64
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
As I tell my kids, if you have nothing nice to say, move on. But there seem to be a few people who only post to argue. Maybe they believe they have a point, maybe they do, I don't really care because it's been inappropriate in the posts I have seen the hostility, so I just move on (so whatever point they are trying to make I dismiss quite quickly if it's unrelated to the post or they are rude or you know, mostly I don't care at all what others think, but they keep yapping away thinking I do) I don't got time for that.
Covers it nicely.

08-27-2016, 01:36 PM   #65
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
Years ago Konica came out with an aperture priority auto camera that used Leica M mount and had TTL flash. People were posting ridiculous things like the flange to film distance was different.
You left off built-in motorized film advance That camera would be the Konica Hexar RF, a very fine camera by all reports and one that I cannot afford even though it has been out of production for 13 years. Strangely, despite full analysis and rebuttal by many experts, the claims of lens incompatibility continues to this day. I first learned of it on a very spirited exchange on the rangerfinder forums a few years ago.

Go figure...

http://www.dantestella.com/technical/hexarrf.html

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-27-2016 at 01:43 PM.
08-27-2016, 02:00 PM   #66
mee
Veteran Member

I also notice a few are holding on to Pentax hoping they'll become what they want to see.. even though the brand is traveling on a different path. And then there are disputes/differing of opinions that come and go as do misunderstandings..

But then, there are the times that even an honest apology doesn't seem to reconcile for some. What more can one do? Some people only want to hold fast to bitterness and war it seems, even when it doesn't have to be that way.

Which is ironic considering the extent some will go to keep a feud going when they could simply extend their handshake and end it... all the while complaining of those that want to squabble. PF can be a microcosm of the world.
08-27-2016, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Understanding that I could be one of the 'bad boys' (don't think I am, but I could be) to some degree the restraint of the entire country has diminished recently. Everyone feels entitled and takes offense at any perceived slight, and the response level is DefCon 5 for things that formerly were a conversation - totally overblown!!

What follows is a hijack, but it illustrates my point.

I live in a regular leafy suburb of late 50's houses, mixed incomes, mixed races, train station and a town square with a cannon - nothing to get all Cultural Elites about. No 5 acre $2.5 million homes here.

One of my trees has a limb that hangs over a neighbors' yard. According to my arborist the tree predates the houses by 30 or 40 years. You know what's coming, don't you? Every fall for the last few years my neighbor's son (40's, divorced, unemployed, not looking for work, and living with his elderly mother) rakes up the leaves and dumps them over the fence into my yard. I never bothered to think about it - I just remove them with all the others and let it go. I've never said ONE WORD to the guy since he moved back in with his mother.

Today I went out for a few minutes to get gas and even up my tire pressures. While I was gone my wife was in the yard cutting blooms for the dinner table and the dude dumped a bucket of leaves over the fence. She said, "Hey! What are you doing?"

And the guy went off on her - I mean nuclear holocaust, top of his lungs screaming. He called her a Hick, a Hoosier, a Hillbilly and Rude (in St. Louis that is a synonym for 'low-life', not a description of one's manners). He said she never had any right to buy this house. He said she was gutter trash. He peppered every other phrase with the F-Bomb (NO ONE has ever said any of those words to my wife in her 60 years - really, she's never heard them - and NO ONE has ever said the F-Word in her presence).

She laughed.

Then, in a rage, he charged the fence screaming that she is a (more ad hominem personal epithets preceded by F's) to the point that she actually became frightened and retreated to the house.

Now IMHO, this dude has some serious rage issues going on. Maybe we've done something (or not done something) for 20 years that they don't like and all the pent up anger and frustration just poured out. Or maybe not. Our property is neat and clean and tidy, painted and kept up.

Or maybe that's just the way people react to EVERY CHALLENGE now, right or wrong, and we're seeing some of it here too.

I spoke to his mother. She offered to pay to have my tree cut down so MY leaves don't fall in HER yard. I told her, in an even tone, God lets His leaves drop where they will and I'm not cutting down my tree. I told her her son could just keep dumping them over the fence if that's what he wants to do, but he is never to speak to my wife again. Ever. I told her he had threatened her; made her feel that she can't comfortably use our patio, truly and terribly upset her - and that if it happens again I will call the Police and file a complaint.

She said, "He was wrong, but so are you. You have to keep your leaves out of our yard."

What's up with that?

Last edited by monochrome; 08-28-2016 at 06:37 AM.
08-27-2016, 02:31 PM   #68
mee
Veteran Member

Sorry she had to go through that. I notice a lot of rage on the roads.. impatience. People riding mine (and others) bumpers so close you'd think it was a NASCAR race. I even watched one woman, at a stop sign, go ballistic on her steering wheel... def not having an easy go at driving.

I've also lately experienced more impatient people in the grocery store.. people skipping the line.. I even had one guy start pulling items out of my cart even though I was going at a rather fast clip. But that has to do with self-centeredness. It is growing, I'm afraid, by and large.
08-27-2016, 02:38 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No, your task is one of "wrangler".

Steve
That word has a slightly skewed significance to those of us of a certain era:

Maybe we need a few more Captain Parminters, and fewer Corporal Agarns…
08-27-2016, 04:45 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
One of my trees has a limb that hangs over a neighbors' yard.
She said, "He was wrong, but so are you. You have to keep your leaves out of our yard."
What's up with that?
I have the same issues with an alcoholic that lives up the hill above my neighborʻs house. He has a big deck that overlooks the entire block. I have a 14 year old dog that has become more talkative in his advancing years. Heʻs a Whippet and his name is Pax (Pax means Peace because heʻs extremely calm and loving of other dogs and people.) And anyone that has a Whippet, knows they sleep about as much as cats.

I live in Hawaii, which is a mostly friendly place because on an island, what comes around goes around. "Live Aloha". But not this neighbor, and he goes into a vulgar expletive yelling with beer in hand screaming at my dog if he barks at a stray cat, strangers on the street, etc. Nearly everyone here (except him) has a dog, if for no other reason, as a deterrent for thieves. I tried once on Christmas Day to make peace and he told me to go F myself.

I think your neighbor may see the shade your tree is dumping into their yard, and are now dumping darkness into yours. I wonder if they do the same in a different way to the neighbors on the other property line?
08-27-2016, 04:50 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Rondec
..... You just let me know and I will very gladly send you a crate full....
I wouldn't mind some. They'd need to be neutered first though to get past customs.
08-27-2016, 05:09 PM   #72
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
That word has a slightly skewed significance to those of us of a certain era:
F Troop Polish the Canon - YouTube

Maybe we need a few more Captain Parminters, and fewer Corporal Agarns…

Wrangler Jane

In regards to Parminter vs. Agarn...from the video, it is apparently that the good captain lacks good sense.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-27-2016 at 05:16 PM.
08-27-2016, 05:23 PM   #73
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I wouldn't mind some. They'd need to be neutered first though to get past customs.
Neutering my squirrels would be a king size job of epic proportions.....

Regards!
08-27-2016, 05:29 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Neutering my squirrels would be a king size job of epic proportions.....
Regards!
Taking nuts from a squirrel is not recommended. Squirrels need their nuts. Sorry for stating the obvious.
08-27-2016, 06:37 PM - 3 Likes   #75
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What follows is a hijack, but it illustrates my point.
Monochrome - what an interesting story, thanks for sharing - and it is a good illustration of the fundamentals of the topic being discussed on this thread.

I was brought up here in New Zealand (although I am sure the same concept applies in the USA) with a good understanding of the 'golden rule' and how to apply it - stated in it's most basic form - "treat others how you would like to be treated".

It is such a basic component of human community that it is stated in one form or another in almost every society and religion in the world. This rule forms the basis of civil society and civil manners.

I have also learned (slowly) in my 51 years on this planet that I can control nobody else's behaviour but my own, and that I am invariably disappointed in myself when I let others behaviour dictate or modify my responses. So I just try to apply that golden rule in all the places I find myself - it works for me.

So...we see a range of behaviour on this forum, as it is of course another human community bound by shared interests. Personally I try to treat others how I would like to be treated i.e. with respect and dignity. I enjoy the information, learning, interaction and good natured humour, and friendship that I find here on PF.

Those who annoy me too much here - for whatever reason - I add to my ignore list. I think we generally do that in non-digital forums too.

This is much harder with neighbours when they give the reactions that you have recounted. It is a good thing to live at peace with your neighbours - here in NZ we maintain a neighbourhood 'spirit' by passing small gifts (baking etc.) at Christmas time, and stopping occasionally to say hello. Every few years someone organises a street party, which also helps. Just doing little things to show we care. New Zealand is a very peaceable place, and still has strong community connections - so I guess we are at one extreme of the spectrum.

Much better that than what we can observe in northern Iraq - where you don't know if the 'neighbours' are planning to attack and slaughter you and your family tomorrow - and therefore you need to live and prepare against that possibility i.e. take necessary security precautions, arm yourself to the teeth, only stay around trusted family and friends etc.

Can I encourage you with your neighbours to apply the 'golden rule' as much as you can

If we all applied the same rule here at PF as much as we can it would probably have good result too.

Cheers

Ross
Closed Thread