Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 84 Likes Search this Thread
08-26-2016, 04:05 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Just a suggestion: maybe K-1 replaced Sony FF as trigger for discussions?
Nah...they have sort of merged. Several recent rancorous K-1 threads have contained A7-series comparisons.

Steve

08-26-2016, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I haven't been a forum member long enough to truly gauge the climate, but I would not blame the K-1. If anything, it's the US presidential election campaign that has reached new lows via twitter, instagram, FB, and general media clips and sound bytes. If a potential future presidential candidate is given a pass at vulgarity, name calling, and a lack of civility and manners, it empowers everyone to vomit in public.

On the other hand, the inflammatory posts often catch our eyes more than all the constructive and positive contributions.....and I can only hope negativity won't discourage the positivity from contributing.
08-26-2016, 04:16 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Hi, welcome back! Hope you're doing well, or will be doing well soon

Yeah, the tone might have changed a bit. Some big camera releases have changed it in the past, and the K-1 is probably the biggest release Pentax has had.. well, ever. (though, 645Z might come close, but its a much more niche camera)
I wouldn't worry about it, just continue doing things as we did before and the trolls will leave, the newcomers will figure things out, and things will get back to normal
08-26-2016, 04:23 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Excellent observation and, as all of us old-timers know, that sub-forum was created as a "black hole hell" of sorts where all posts might be legitimately ignored. Actual release of the K-1 loosened the gates of hell and the fiends are now among us!

Steve
I guess that means I'm running with the fiends then.

08-26-2016, 04:27 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I guess that means I'm running with the fiends then.
No, your task is one of "wrangler".

Steve
08-26-2016, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

I may be new here but I lurked for several years so I've seen some of the ebb and flow. I have noticed cycles of this issue with every new Pentax product (K-5, K-3, KS-2, etc.). New products can't help but excite some, disappoint others, and provoke harsh words in the intersection of those polar opposite reactions.

That said, I've always felt that the storm soon passes and the sunny skies of all the brilliant and helpful folk here at PF retake the field.

It's good to see you back. I hope you stay.
08-26-2016, 04:41 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Even in the time I've been here I've noticed a big change in attitude. Personally I'd say a small handful of members create a large chunk of the atmosphere, quick to anger, too easily assuming a differing opinion is a personal attack and defending with an actual personal attack.

Frankly, it was the PF before that was weird, in 20 years I've never known a friendly public forum. The PF of now is a perfectly normal slice of online life...unfortunately.

08-26-2016, 04:55 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent observation and, as all of us old-timers know, that sub-forum was created as a "black hole hell" of sorts where all posts might be legitimately ignored. Actual release of the K-1 loosened the gates of hell and the fiends are now among us!

Steve
Yes, I put the Ignore Forum feature in effect early.

No, your task is one of "wrangler".

Steve
i wonder if Adam will let me change my User Name.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-26-2016 at 05:21 PM.
08-26-2016, 04:57 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes, I put the Ignore Form feature in effect early.

i wonder if Adam will let me change my User Name.
"Wrangler of the Fiends of Hell" does have a certain ring to it.

Steve
08-26-2016, 05:06 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Boris: Be of Good Cheer . . . .

The last few posts testify that the old-style jocular, witty, brief posts that characterize the PF of old are still here.
08-26-2016, 05:14 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Partly it's the price of success -- the 645z and then the K-1 have brought in many new users and have brought Pentax more into the mainstream. So it's not quite the cohesive little community it used to be, united by an appreciation of the unique strengths of the "Pentax Way". But, in my experience, it's still a much friendlier place than many other photography forums.
08-26-2016, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The last few posts testify that the old-style jocular, witty, brief posts that characterize the PF of old are still here
For example, throw a bit of wit at Kerrowdown, and see how you fare.
08-26-2016, 05:30 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Indeed. I was curious a few days ago and reviewed the posting histories of a few of the folk whose names are fairly new to me and who were behaving badly. Most have had no positive contributions and some appear to have established accounts with the sole purpose of promoting complaints on a narrow range of perceived product deficiencies and/or to create a perception of wide-spread defects. Others are just whiners with unrealistic expectations of performance and/or support. The whiners, I can deal with. The others are more poisonous.

Steve
+1. I think some of the problems alluded to, stem from people with little experience using modern DSLR equipment, buying expensive cameras / lenses with unrealistic expectations. I have also seen some problems with forum users who are not native English speakers, trying to express themselves the best they can, and unintentionally sounding unfriendly.
08-26-2016, 05:30 PM   #29
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Pentax Forums and Flickr have been my social media outlet to connect with others. I'm glad to be slowly coming back to the fold.
Welcome back Boris. Sorry to hear about your divorce. Having watched several colleagues and friends go through that I know it is not a fun time in anyones life.

With regard to the forum tone - I still note there is plenty of helpfulness, and sharing of wisdom and experience when questions are asked - so that part of PF life is still well and good.

There have been a few shouting matches of late, but I think lots of people are still pretty positive, and humorous here too.

I have started using the 'Ignore' feature selectively as others have indicated - as I just don't have time in my life for excessive negativity and nitpicking.

I hope you enjoy your time here again, and contribute your own wisdom, observations and encouragement as you did previously.

Most of all enjoy your photography

Cheers

Ross
08-26-2016, 05:37 PM - 3 Likes   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Go back to shooting film, they tend to be a fairly laid back bunch in their hidey hole of a sub forum (technically a few sub forums) and despite the many opinions things stay pretty mellow.
Maybe its because once you take pointless crap like sensor resolution and auto anything out of the equation you are left with nothing but the skill and creativity of the photographer to discuss.

Imagine that, a photography forum about photographs. Blows the mind.

Plus with film if you run into an uppity Canikon user with a $3000 digital FF in the field you can just take your film body by the neck strap and crack them upside the head with it and keep on shooting with it to display the superior build quality of a Pentax.
Closed Thread