Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 84 Likes Search this Thread
08-29-2016, 03:39 PM   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Is that what we had when our K-1's arrived?
I see: an extra body experience. Nice use of ambiguity.

08-29-2016, 04:19 PM - 2 Likes   #137
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
With my youngest son right after the surgery. Always smiling always positive.I have been very fortunate to have such a fantastic Mom.
@Rupert,

Your picture reminds me about an important, cherished aspect of photography. When I see your photo, I don't wonder what camera was used, whether the corners are sharp, or the exposure perfect. I don't hear debates about this lens or that lens, one format or another. I see a place most of us would not want to be, and I see energy and courage and spirit.

Thank you for sharing.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 08-29-2016 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Change potentially offensive word.
08-29-2016, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #138
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Your picture reminds me about an important, cherished aspect of photography. When I see your photo, I don't wonder what camera was used, whether the corners are sharp, or the exposure perfect. I don't hear debates about this lens or that lens, one format or another. I see a place most of us would not want to be, and I see energy and courage and spunk.

Thank you for sharing.

- Craig
Thank you Craig! I am not an excellent shooter.....I shoot for fun and for memories. My niece I put in charge of my Mom's big party put together a 30 minute slide show with old photos of my Mom and family spanning many decades...with music to match each decade. They showed on four big screen monitors at her party. Many of the photos were old, certainly not professionally shot...but the memories were truly precious. This is what photography is all about to me. Perfection is for someone else, and I do appreciate their superb work, but I'm about mood and memories.

My Mom wasn't always old...neither was old Rupert!

I'm so glad people took the time through all those years to stop and take some photos...good or bad they are cherished memories now!

Best Regards!
08-29-2016, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #139

I'd say yes PF has livened up a bit.
I'm irregular as I tech admin another photo forum.

Pentax have done well with the K-1; it is a winner; not for everyone/everything but huge good value for money.
It seems to be selling very well.

This is my take...
#1 issue is lenses (and lens prices)
#2 is the AF.C performance for sports/wildlfe etc.
#3 is 3rd party lens offerings, there are some that I would like but are not in Pentax format (SIgma - time to re-think)

08-29-2016, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #140
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Thank you Craig!
I'm so glad people took the time through all those years to stop and take some photos...good or bad they are cherished memories now!

Best Regards!

Maybe we need a thread that allows us to post "old shots that meant something to us......."..... something to remind everybody why photos are important ......warts and all.
08-29-2016, 07:02 PM   #141
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Well once again, whatever suits you guys that choose to use Ignore. I'm not giving advice, I'm giving my reasons for not using it.

Old grouchy Norm is a fine example. I got tired of his endless rants on why his K3 is better than a K1 and his never ending assaults on the K1 a long time ago. Rant after rant......here and there, always the same or similar line of argument and always with his heels dug in and not budging.

It's like he needs to get his message to the entire world...over and over.

So what's my point about not having the cranky old guy on Ignore?

Well, he has a few good points along the way mixed in his rants, and some interesting technical information that is useful. Old Norm is cranky and cantankerous, but he is not dumb. You can learn from him, even in those long drawn out anti-K1 rants. Is it worthwhile? Well, it hasn't killed me and I do know more than I did, so I'd say it has been.

I don't like to miss anything...Good...Bad...or Ugly. Even those I ardently disagree with often have a tidbit of truth or useful thought worth reading....so I read it!

Most people would never waste their time listening to an English speaking squirrel...but I owe what intelligence I have to the Big Brain Thinking I have learned from them......sure, some of it is trash (and filthy!)...but some of it is Golden!
QuoteQuote:
Sorry if I have hijacked this thread...but it beats arguing with old Norm and making enemies when I need more friends instead!
I guess Rupert runs the forum now, This is what you have to look forward to if he thinks you've in some way contradicted him.

How many forum rules does this nonsense break?
08-30-2016, 04:03 AM   #142
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I guess Rupert runs the forum now, This is what you have to look forward to if he thinks you've in some way contradicted him.

Prime candidate for the "Ignore" button I would have thought

08-30-2016, 04:20 AM   #143
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I really think you two should meet somewhere in the middle and get to know each other. You might get on famously if you gave it a try.

Can I suggest Colorado - then at least you can legally purchase some 'dak' if you want to, and mellow out before the conversation - just kidding of course....

I feel safely far enough away in New Zealand to offer these suggestions .
08-30-2016, 04:28 AM   #144
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I really think you two should meet somewhere in the middle and get to know each other. You might get on famously if you gave it a try.

Can I suggest Colorado - then at least you can legally purchase some 'dak' if you want to, and mellow out before the conversation - just kidding of course....

I feel safely far enough away in New Zealand to offer these suggestions .
Parallax says he's a good guy. I'm willing to take his word for it. But, I just have other things I'd rather do,

Last edited by normhead; 08-30-2016 at 04:34 AM.
08-30-2016, 04:35 AM - 4 Likes   #145
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

No, Rupert doesn't run the forum, but things would run a lot smoother if you'd accept the fact that you don't, either.
08-30-2016, 04:36 AM   #146
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
No, Rupert doesn't run the forum, but things would run a lot smoother if you'd accept the fact that you don't, either.
SO, you're saying that type of post is legit?

I would think I would be able to express an opinion without suffering that type of personal attack. no?

I see posts like that and my first thought is "Who's minding the store."

But then I guess I just have really poor judgement in understanding when a line has been crossed, mods have told me as much.

Just trying to get a handle on this.

Last edited by normhead; 08-30-2016 at 04:48 AM.
08-30-2016, 04:49 AM - 7 Likes   #147
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Parallax says he's a good guy. I'm willing to take his word for it. But, I just have other things I'd rather do,
Having read a lot of both of your posts over the past few years, I have formed the opinion that you are both good guys. Different in your approach to things, but both good.

I have enjoyed what each of you bring to the various conversations here at Pentax Forum - insights, wisdom, humour, squirrel logic (more Rupert I think) and just some good old photography discussions.

We are just coming into spring here in NZ, life is looking up the weather is getting warmer. I am getting out more and taking photos as I walk about, which I enjoy and it gets me out of work mode. You must be heading towards fall in the US and Canada - all that fantastic colour, and great photo opportunities.

Plenty of opportunities to enjoy what nature brings us, enjoy whatever photo gear we are using - from smartphone to DSLR and anything in between - my opinion is that it doesn't really matter in any objective analysis. I think what matters is taking photos, observing light, creating memories of friends, family and nature - what we see, feel and want to record.

I have just helped bury my wife's older brother, who a couple of weeks ago unexpectedly died of a major heart attack at age 53. It has given me pause to consider, yet again, what is important in life and what isn't. All I end up with is make the most of each day you get given - to enjoy life, to work at what you are good at, to learn, to love, to spend time with friends, colleagues, family. For me personally photography as a hobby is part of that.

Sorry, a bit long all this - what I am trying to say is there is so much good to enjoy in life, and it is ok not to agree with people on occasion, but at the end of the day you are both good guys, you both contribute heaps, and you both enjoy your photography, and I reckon you actually have a lot more in common than what separates you.

Enjoy your day - it is now 20 minutes past midnight here, and I have plenty of work on tomorrow

Ross
08-30-2016, 04:50 AM   #148
Pentaxian

There's nothing wrong with Rupert, as long as you aren't in his cross hairs.

Then it gets real silly real quick.
08-30-2016, 04:59 AM   #149
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote

I have just helped bury my wife's older brother, who a couple of weeks ago unexpectedly died of a major heart attack at age 53. It has given me pause to consider, yet again, what is important in life and what isn't. All I end up with is make the most of each day you get given - to enjoy life, to work at what you are good at, to learn, to love, to spend time with friends, colleagues, family. For me personally photography as a hobby is part of that.

Enjoy your day - it is now 20 minutes past midnight here, and I have plenty of work on tomorrow

Ross
Well said, Ross.
08-30-2016, 05:09 AM   #150
Pentaxian

OK, moving on here, I really enjoyed the original topic here, I thought it was worthy of a thread. Not yet mentioned, a few folks like Ira, and the guy with the bazillion lenses who seemed to have personal knowledge of every Pentax lens ever made, and always jumped into lens advice threads with 5 suggestions no one else had even heard of, we've had quite a few come and go over the years.....

sad, the thread had to go this route. I guess it really only had meaning for long terms users.
Closed Thread