Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2016, 06:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sturdy tripod

I now own a Sunpak Ultra 7000TM and it has worked fine when used with my K-01, K30 and K50 with small zooms or prime lenses. I attached my K3 with battery grip and Tamron 70-200 to fine adjust the auto focus and it was not very sturdy. I would not want to attempt using it out in the field. I am just a hobby photographer and don't need a professional tripod, just a better made sturdy one that will secure my camera and lens. Any suggestion's?

08-27-2016, 06:10 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Kim, do you have a maximum $ figure to spend?
08-27-2016, 06:19 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

a good used Manfrotto/Bogen 3021BN should fill the bill and not break the bank....
08-27-2016, 06:33 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I find Manfrotto offer a good balance in cost/quality.

08-27-2016, 07:46 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
a good used Manfrotto/Bogen 3021BN should fill the bill and not break the bank....
I can second that. I have vs very old copy still in use.

---------- Post added 08-27-16 at 10:48 AM ----------

I also like the old tiltall. The tiltall is nice if you like pan and tilt heads.
08-27-2016, 07:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For me tripods come in 3 broad categories:
1. el cheapo: aluminum lightweights with plastic heads.
2. Middle of the road: consumer to prosumer aluminum and some cheaper carbon fibre tripods with detachable heads so you can put on a ball head or pan and tilt or whatever. A decent one of these from whichever brand will serve the purpose for 90% of circumstances IMO. There is plenty of online advice inc here to fine tune the choice according to features, weight, height etc etc.
3. Top end. Where 2 ends and the need for 3 begins is very much up to circumstance. One thing I can mention is that the stated load capacity for tripods is mostly meaningless. Its rigidity that counts.

Sounds like you have found out your category 1 tripod (according to spec online, a typical lightweight with plastic head) and need to migrate to a 2. I use two tripods. My 2 is an old Aluminum Diawa with 4 section legs with a cheap slik p&t head, does the job for 90% of everything including for example most of the lens testing on this page. My 3 is a massive old weighty slik SL67 that I trundle out occasionally to use eg with my 6lb 200-500mm tamron. Both were off ebay, one for $10 the other for $20!
I recommend trying out before you buy. Look particularly for smooth and easy movement of lens + camera. Check out how much give and vibration and "boiiing" there seems to be with the camera + lens on the tripod. And a particular point: err on the side of one that you will actually carry around and use! The other one might be sturdier/stronger/prettier... but if its just a bit too large/bit too heavy/whatever so you end up leaving it behind; it's no good!
My big tamron on my big ol Slik. Note use of a macro rail to balance the lens, and a wood wedge to broaden the support point. trcks of the trade... ( I have been thinking about getting a gimbal head to use with this lens for a good while ...)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by marcusBMG; 08-27-2016 at 08:12 AM.
08-27-2016, 07:57 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Check out B&H used tri pods. I got a great deal on one that was a showroom display and got it for about half the price of a new one and it looks and works just like a new one.

08-27-2016, 08:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Kim, do you have a maximum $ figure to spend?
Not sure what a good one will cost, maybe $200.
08-27-2016, 08:16 AM   #9
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

also KEH, for used tripods and heads...
08-27-2016, 12:09 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
I now own a Sunpak Ultra 7000TM and it has worked fine when used with my K-01, K30 and K50 with small zooms or prime lenses. I attached my K3 with battery grip and Tamron 70-200 to fine adjust the auto focus and it was not very sturdy. I would not want to attempt using it out in the field. I am just a hobby photographer and don't need a professional tripod, just a better made sturdy one that will secure my camera and lens. Any suggestion's?
Just to be sure, you did use the tripod mount didn't you?
08-27-2016, 12:23 PM   #11
Forum Member

I use a Benro Mach3 TMA47AL with a Benro gimbal head holding a 600mm ED telescope and a K-50. A telescope is a challenge for a tripod because it is long and has a bit of momentum when it starts wiggling. The Benro does a decent job. It might not be the best tripod in the world, but anything better would be too heavy for me to lug around all day, or too expensive.

The TMA47AL is NLA but the new version, the TMA47AXL, is $220 USD at BHphotovideo.
08-27-2016, 12:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Just to be sure, you did use the tripod mount didn't you?
Yes I did
08-27-2016, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get the largest weight capacity tripod and head that you can afford. If the legs look spindly they probably are. I have an Induro that I bought nearly 7 years ago, it looks sturdy and it's rock solid. I have a Benro Mefoto Backpacker travel tripod that does the job for a travel tripod, but is no comparison to the Induro for sturdiness, you wouldn't want it for an everyday tripod. Tripods are the one piece of gear that most people by cheap the first time, then buy a better one as soon as they can.
08-27-2016, 07:17 PM   #14
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Tripods are the one piece of gear that most people by cheap the first time, then buy a better one as soon as they can.
this....

I did this very thing: bought cheap and hated it so much, I replaced it within several weeks...
08-28-2016, 01:34 AM - 1 Like   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
this....

I did this very thing: bought cheap and hated it so much, I replaced it within several weeks...
No more putting an expensive body/lens combination on a $40 aluminium tripod from me, either - false economy.