Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2016, 11:08 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Understanding Exposure

So my book came in the post and I have been reading it. It says that I will the the correct exposure when I look into the viewfinder, but I don't know what I am looking for? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

08-31-2016, 11:15 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lauravp77 Quote
So my book came in the post and I have been reading it. It says that I will the the correct exposure when I look into the viewfinder, but I don't know what I am looking for? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Please don't take this the wrong way...

I have no idea what you are asking. What camera do you have, what mode are you using (Av, M, P, Green, Tv, TAv, etc.) and what are you trying to accomplish? What is the actual quote from the book exactly?
08-31-2016, 11:21 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I don't know which book came in the post, but what you see in the viewfinder of your K10D is three things:
  • Shutter speed
  • Lens aperture
  • Sensor sensitivity (ISO)
The three together are called "the exposure triangle" and determine the quantity of light reaching the sensor and how much amplification the camera will apply to the sensor signal.

Steve
08-31-2016, 11:22 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm guessing this book? https://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Photographs-Camera/dp/0817...bryan+peterson

I'm afraid I don't have that book and can't visualize what it is that he said that you are asking yet. I'm sure we can help - just keep posting and we'll figure it out.

08-31-2016, 11:23 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

In M mode, you will see a light meter scale similar to what was used in the old days. Maybe it's talking about that?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-31-2016, 11:23 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Please don't take this the wrong way...

I have no idea what you are asking.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I don't know which book came in the post
I did a little poking around on a previous thread. She has a K10D and probably ordered Brian Peterson, Understanding Exposure.

Steve
08-31-2016, 11:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm going to guess it's the EV bar that shows whether the scene is under/over exposed that she is referring to in her OP. No. 10 in this image of the K10s viewfinder.

08-31-2016, 11:54 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Sorry, more detail is usually more helpful. He says to set iso at 200, aperature opening to f/8 and with the camera pointed at something that's well illuminated, adjust shutter speed until a correct exposure is indicated in the viewfinder.

I am using a Pentax K10D in manual mode, and know how to adjust all these settings, but wasn't aware that a correct exposure would be indicated in the viewfinder.. Is he referring to the picture itself, or an icon on the display?

---------- Post added 08-31-16 at 11:56 AM ----------

Oh and Yes, it is Understanding Exposure, 3rd edition. I left that out too haha.. sorry
08-31-2016, 12:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

adjust shutter speed until a correct exposure is indicated in the viewfinder.
I don't have the k-10D but on most Pentax cameras there is an indicator in the viewfinder, usually a series of bars left or right of 'zero'. Adjust the shutter speed until the indicator registers at zero. This only works in 'M' mode. In any of the semi-auto modes such as Tv or Av the camera does this for you automatically.

---------- Post added 08-31-16 at 12:01 PM ----------

Also, don't take this wrong but you might benefit from stopping by a camera shop, or visiting with an experienced photographer and let them spend 15 minutes showing you the camera controls. Everything else will start to make more sense.
08-31-2016, 12:07 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

See if this helps. It shows the top LCD rather than the viewfinder but I think you can extrapolate:

Note that the bar on the top of the LCD is showing above or below the correct exposure as it goes left and right of center.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-31-2016 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Edited by mistake.
08-31-2016, 12:14 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I don't have the k-10D but on most Pentax cameras there is an indicator in the viewfinder, usually a series of bars left or right of 'zero'. Adjust the shutter speed until the indicator registers at zero. This only works in 'M' mode. In any of the semi-auto modes such as Tv or Av the camera does this for you automatically.

---------- Post added 08-31-16 at 12:01 PM ----------

Also, don't take this wrong but you might benefit from stopping by a camera shop, or visiting with an experienced photographer and let them spend 15 minutes showing you the camera controls. Everything else will start to make more sense.
Okay. I have seen those bars show up before. But as I was just using the camera, they were absent. Also, and it may be due to the lens, the F is always followed by 2 --, no matter where I set the dial. I have it set to ISO 200, F/8, and various shutter speeds.
08-31-2016, 12:18 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Okay. I have seen those bars show up before. But as I was just using the camera, they were absent. Also, and it may be due to the lens, the F is always followed by 2 --, no matter where I set the dial. I have it set to ISO 200, F/8, and various shutter speeds.
OK - what is the lens? If the lens has an "A" on the aperture ring it needs to be set to A not f/8 and then you use the camera to set the aperture to f/8. If the lens doesn't have an aperture ring - we have a problem. If the lens doesn't have an "A" on it then you have to resort to a more complex way of metering but we'll get you there.

See also this:

08-31-2016, 12:20 PM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Laura. I think what you're asking is, how can you tell when looking through the viewfinder if you have the correct exposure set up, yes?

See the attached image from Ricoh's website. This shows the various elements of the K10D viewfinder. The part labelled "10" is the "Exposure level bar graph", and this is what shows whether you're under-, over- or correctly-exposing your scene. As you adjust your shutter speed and aperture (you'll see the values labelled "6" & "7" change accordingly), you want to get the line in the middle of that exposure level bar graph. You may need to adjust your ISO setting too.

Does that make sense?
Attached Images

08-31-2016, 12:21 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hi Laura. I think what you're asking is, how can you tell when looking through the viewfinder if you have the correct exposure set up, yes?

See the attached image from Ricoh's website. This shows the various elements of the K10D viewfinder. The part labelled "10" is the "Exposure level bar graph", and this is what shows whether you're under-, over- or correctly-exposing your scene. As you adjust your shutter speed and aperture (you'll see the values labelled "6" & "7" change accordingly), you want to get the line in the middle of that exposure level bar graph. You may need to adjust your ISO setting too.

Does that make sense?
Image?

Also if she is seeing F-- then standard Manual metering isn't going to work. That mode requires green button or depth of field preview with lenses that show as F--.
08-31-2016, 12:23 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
2 of my lenses do have A. So now I have that sorted out. I have a manual lens that does not have A on it, however, so I would need to disable aperture ring for that one?