Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-02-2016, 08:05 PM   #1

live view....what am I missing?

I've never used live view on my k3, or on any camera for that matter. What am I missing? What are the advantages? Any serious thoughts are appreciated.

09-02-2016, 08:17 PM   #2

Hi,

For one thing, at least on my K-x, if you are using live view, you can magnify/zoom in-out.
09-02-2016, 08:25 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focus peaking, which shows you the area in focus, makes using manual focus lenses easier.
Zoom in to check focus
On the tripod I find it convenient rather than looking through the viewfinder

However, on the k-3II I never use it except on the tripod. The K-1 is a different story and the flippy flexible LCD on the K-1 gets used a lot more.
09-02-2016, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Probably the best advice I might give on the matter is to suggest you push the red button and give it a test drive. To prime the pump, here is a short list of how I use and have used it:
  • Critical manual focus. Live view being actual sensor output is the gold standard for fine focus. Magnified view ("OK" button) provides 1:1 pixel mapping from the sensor to the rear LCD
  • More convenient framing for some types of tripod work
  • Essential for lens testing (see first bullet point)
  • Essential for checking PDAF fine adjustment (see first bullet point)
  • Essential for checking focus screen calibration with aftermarket screens (see first bullet point)
  • CDAF in live view is slow, but has much higher precision and accuracy than PDAF using the viewfinder
Enjoy your exploration!

Steve

09-02-2016, 08:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Live view allows focus peaking which, for manual focus, can be a great advance over the optical viewfinder. DSLRs tend not to be blessed with much in the way of manual focusing aids.
09-02-2016, 08:27 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
However, on the k-3II I never use it except on the tripod.
Same here...forgot to include that in my comment above. Handheld video using the rear LCD is one thing, but handheld still photography using the rear LCD sort of sucks.

Steve
09-02-2016, 08:28 PM   #7
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amp Quote
I've never used live view on my k3, or on any camera for that matter. What am I missing? What are the advantages? Any serious thoughts are appreciated.
If you are happy with the precision (or lack of it) with AF then not so much. But for precise focusing the contrast detection system paired with the magnify zoom in is brilliant. I use a lcd viewfinder on my K01 all the time and I feel that combo is streets ahead of an optical viewfinder. I also own a K30 and it tends to get a run only when I am trekking.

09-02-2016, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
Live view allows focus peaking which, for manual focus, can be a great advance over the optical viewfinder.
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Focus peaking, which shows you the area in focus, makes using manual focus lenses easier.
Focus peaking is a real boon for many, but I have found it difficult under some conditions where the highlighting is thrown off by DOF, say at short focal lengths.

That being said, it still belongs on the short list of useful LV features.

Steve
09-02-2016, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Night landscape. Much better for framing and manual focusing.
09-02-2016, 08:37 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Anytime I have to focus and shoot from an awkward position, for example holding the camera up higher than my face but where I can still see some of the screen.
09-02-2016, 09:33 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Shortly put, live view is the best choice when the best possibly focus accuracy is desired, thanks to magnification and focus peaking. It's also nice when holding the camera up high (i.e. at events, etc.).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-03-2016, 01:22 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I shoot with the K-5 and find that an exposure reading taken during live view is more accurate than when using the viewfinder.
09-03-2016, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lots of pro's above,one of the main con's is,it eats battery life!
09-03-2016, 09:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I used a right angle finder for years, (anyone want to buy it). However, as I get older (77 now) it becomes more difficult to contort my body to use the accessory. I am hoping that the K3II replacement has an articulating screen.
09-03-2016, 10:33 AM   #15
Forum Member

IMHO it is hugely useful for macro and astro due to the awkward positions and critical focusing. Focus peaking on an articulated screen is so much easier than OVF.
Otherwise I generally use the optical viewfinder. I simply prefer it.