Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
09-07-2016, 08:51 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hawaii vacation coming up - taking the K5iis?

We're going to spend 10 days in Hawaii in mid October, 5 on Oahu and 5 on Kauai. I've sort of resigned myself to taking along my K5iis and some combination of my DA18-250,DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro, and FA 77mm F1.8 Limited lenses. The other consideration was a good, small point and shoot for the obvious reasons of not having to lug around the K5 and lenses, even though my thought is why not take the best camera available on your trip of a lifetime?

Anyone been in a similar situation and what did you do? Lens recommendations good, too.

09-07-2016, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I took my K-3 with 18-135, 60-250, and a trio of limited primes (15/40/77). In addition we brought a waterproof P&S for snorkeling and playing around the water. Everything got used. Having a WR zoom was good for peace of mind. The longer zoom was good for whales.
When we hiked in Waimea Canyon it was very misty and wet and I was glad I could use my camera without too much worry about moisture getting in.
09-07-2016, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

You are going to want it all. If I had a P&S along to cover wide, I would probably forgo the 18-250 personally to lighten the load, but you'll enjoy the low light lenses a lot. If you can safely get down to the base of Opaekaa Falls on Kauai, it is worth the effort (one of my favorite places on earth).
09-07-2016, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #4

Photos: Albums
Unless your planning on specific things to take pictures of, I'd slap on the 18-250 and be done with it. The quality will still be good, but you'll have less to carry and less to think about with no changes required. I did this with my sigma 18-250 for my DisneyWorld and Hawaii trips, and was pretty happy.

I found I didn't use the wide end however, opting usually for my cellphone in those instances. So if you have another zoom with less of a wide angle and more reach, I'd take that instead.

For those trips, I had my 10-20, 35, and the 18-250. And dealing with the kids, the other 2 lenses never got unpacked.

Now I use my 55-300 and cellphone.

I'd take everything with you, and maybe judge day to day what to actually take with you.

09-07-2016, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I prefer to have fewer high quality photos than many lower quality photos. I would take the K-5 and both primes, maybe even buy another wider prime. DA 21mm, DA 35mm ltd, FA 77mm sounds like a great kit to top notch photos
09-07-2016, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Others may like a super-zoom 18-250, I never do (had it once on the New Zealand/Australia cruise)... it is too much compromise in quality IMO, but that is just me. The DA 18-135 zoom is quite nice and convenient though if you have it. Now, my travelling gear is the DA 20-40 limited and DA 18-135 with the 360 II flash.
09-07-2016, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I prefer to have fewer high quality photos than many lower quality photos. I would take the K-5 and both primes, maybe even buy another wider prime. DA 21mm, DA 35mm ltd, FA 77mm sounds like a great kit to top notch photos
I'm with you here, if I had to downsize, I would cover wide with my iPhone and just take the K-5ii+FA77 for everything else.

09-07-2016, 10:06 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stickler Quote
I'm with you here, if I had to downsize, I would cover wide with my iPhone and just take the K-5ii+FA77 for everything else.
Or maybe the DA21 Ltd for walkaround and then just the FA77 Ltd? And maybe the Panasonic Lumix point and shoot for zoom?
09-07-2016, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #9

Photos: Albums
Downsize to me means not bringing along my tripod. The one constant on my hawaii trips was my 16-50 and polarizer.
09-07-2016, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrpackerguy Quote
Anyone been in a similar situation and what did you do? Lens recommendations good, too.
Oh, I forgot to answer this. When I travel, I usually take Samyang 14mm, DA 35mm (sometimes I switch this one with DA 40mm XS or M 28mm) and DFA 100mm. No zoom lenses at all. The Samyang 14mm is the most problematic, because it is so big and heavy, but for UWA, there is not really any alternative other than Samyang 16mm and the Pentax DA 15mm, DA 21mm (Pentax DA 14mm is around as heavy as Samyang, I think).
09-07-2016, 11:00 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Brooke Meyer

We're going to spend 10 days in Hawaii in mid October, 5 on Oahu and 5 on Kauai. I've sort of resigned myself to taking along my K5iis and some combination of my DA18-250,DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro, and FA 77mm F1.8 Limited lenses. The other consideration was a good, small point and shoot for the obvious reasons of not having to lug around the K5 and lenses, even though my thought is why not take the best camera available on your trip of a lifetime?

It'll be 3 years in mid Oct. and it was K5s but in order of appearance:
1. DA12-24 on tripod
2. Tamron 28-75 on tripod
3. Tamron 28-75 handheld
4. Tamron 28-75 handheld
5. DA 50-135 + Kenko 1.5TC on tripod with loose ballhead

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 02-24-2017 at 12:45 PM.
09-07-2016, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I took my K-5 plus 20-40 Ltd and the 55-300 (hadn't bought the K-3II at that time) for our US West Coast road trip last year and don't regret it for a second. I was recently shown prints from some friends' recent holiday to Greece, all proudly shot on a phone camera and printed at Boots The Chemist, and I'd have been disappointed with the results. Well composed (she's an artist!) but anything less than bright sunshine was washed out; then there was noise, bad focus, lack of sharpness, blue colour cast in most of them...

If it's a big holiday and you won't get another chance to re-take, then I personally wouldn't hesitate.
09-07-2016, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member

Or maybe the DA21 Ltd for walkaround and then just the FA77 Ltd? And maybe the Panasonic Lumix point and shoot for zoom?
I didn't realize you had the 21 available, I'd think 21 + 77 would be pretty great if packing light.
If new lenses are an option (aren't they always), I'd get the 15 to go along with the existing 35 & 77.
When I went ('05?), I was still in my film days and I went with my Rebel 2000 + 50/1.8 and Tamron 75-300 and some disposable (28mm)waterproof cams.
A lot depends on the vibe of the trip. if I was going with my young kids I'd probably be more inclined to spend my camera budget on a GoPro for wide and fun beachside video and then get some great shots with just the 77. If it was without kids, then I'd go for a wide (da15), medium (da35), long (fa77) set of primes for the K-5iis. if you are planning on helicopter rides I'd lean telephoto.
09-07-2016, 11:42 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stickler Quote
I didn't realize you had the 21 available, I'd think 21 + 77 would be pretty great if packing light.
If new lenses are an option (aren't they always), I'd get the 15 to go along with the existing 35 & 77.
When I went ('05?), I was still in my film days and I went with my Rebel 2000 + 50/1.8 and Tamron 75-300 and some disposable (28mm)waterproof cams.
A lot depends on the vibe of the trip. if I was going with my young kids I'd probably be more inclined to spend my camera budget on a GoPro for wide and fun beachside video and then get some great shots with just the 77. If it was without kids, then I'd go for a wide (da15), medium (da35), long (fa77) set of primes for the K-5iis. if you are planning on helicopter rides I'd lean telephoto.
I don't have the 21 but could pick one up, or maybe even a 15mm. No kids. Just a long overdue longest-vacation-in-years trip with the wife. And spending some time with the best man at my wedding whom I've not seen in some 32 years.
09-07-2016, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Our 25th wedding anniversary present was 3 weeks in Waikiki in Easter 2000. It was definitely our holiday of a lifetime. Mostly in Waikiki but trips to Honolulu and other parts of the Island were taken though one major road on the Island was damaged by the winter storms.
I took my Canon T90 with 50mm F1.4 and my wife had her Minolta p&s (which was surprisingly good!) Travelling light!
If I were lucky enough to do it all again I would like the same 3 weeks plus a week each on at least 2 of the other Islands. Unfortunately health and age considerations make this a pipe dream.

But you want to know what to take....
Well we watched the sun set almost every night so something wide and fast to capture some sunsets and low light action. There is a market where something fast would be good too. Many quite amazing Hotel foyers, (well there was then). Mountains, beaches.......Many reasons to take this.
There is a Zoo and Aquarium near Waikiki should you visit (albeit some of the animals looked a bit tired) so a good long zoom, also for the abundant flora and some fauna (and holiday makers if there is not too much antipathy against people with cameras now).
Something WR as mentioned on an earlier post. Some gentle rain seemed to fall on Waikiki every morning we were there.
Some polarising filters for the lenses for sky and sea.

Take as much as you can carry really. You never know what photo opportunities will come along, we got to see (from a distance) a free Britney Spears concert on the beach and a wonderful parade. I hope the time you spend there is as wonderful as ours was, I'm happy with the 500 odd photos we had printed but if we were to go again (and digital)......I'm pretty sure there would be a lot more.