Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
09-07-2016, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I live on Oahu and have been to Kauai many times. Every day you can expect some liquid sunshine (rain and rainbows). When you're at the beach, beware of salt spray that will coat everything. When you're in the mountains, it's like a rainforest with very high humidity. All this to say, I wouldn't bring any non-WR zooms. Your primes should be fine. Using a clear or UV filter will help to protect your primes from fogging as going from a cool dry air conditioned car to the warm humid outdoors will slow you down.

Also beware of micro-climates. The island is like a mini-continent and you can go from a desert to a jungle in 30 minutes or less. The cold humid air around waterfalls and lava caves or driving into the Koolaus on Oahu or Kokee on Kauai is a bit of a shock and you can expect condensation which can also affect your battery, memory card, and external flash contacts.

Definitely bring your macro and all purpose WR zoom. Lots of water activities from snorkeling, surf, kayaks, stand-up paddle boarding, canoes, etc. Highly recommend a half-day boat to the Na Pali coast on Kauai. But you may regret not having a GoPro type waterproof camera for those extremes. In my air conditioned office right now I can look at the deluge of rain in the mountains 2 miles away and see in the opposite direction a completely clear and sunny Waikiki and Diamond Head. Just expect constant change and try to minimize your equipment so that you can enjoy your vacation, but not miss out and regret THE shot.

Also if you're into night photography, on the North Shore of Oahu and up in the mountains of Kauai, the stars on a clear night are wonderful. And if there is full moon, in a place like Hanalei is pretty close to heaven. Do you have a travel tripod?

09-07-2016, 12:07 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I live on Oahu and have been to Kauai many times. Every day you can expect some liquid sunshine (rain and rainbows). When you're at the beach, beware of salt spray that will coat everything. When you're in the mountains, it's like a rainforest with very high humidity. All this to say, I wouldn't bring any non-WR zooms. Your primes should be fine. Using a clear or UV filter will help to protect your primes from fogging as going from a cool dry air conditioned car to the warm humid outdoors will slow you down.

Also beware of micro-climates. The island is like a mini-continent and you can go from a desert to a jungle in 30 minutes or less. The cold humid air around waterfalls and lava caves or driving into the Koolaus on Oahu or Kokee on Kauai is a bit of a shock and you can expect condensation which can also affect your battery, memory card, and external flash contacts.

Definitely bring your macro and all purpose WR zoom. Lots of water activities from snorkeling, surf, kayaks, stand-up paddle boarding, canoes, etc. Highly recommend a half-day boat to the Na Pali coast on Kauai. But you may regret not having a GoPro type waterproof camera for those extremes. In my air conditioned office right now I can look at the deluge of rain in the mountains 2 miles away and see in the opposite direction a completely clear and sunny Waikiki and Diamond Head. Just expect constant change and try to minimize your equipment so that you can enjoy your vacation, but not miss out and regret THE shot.

Also if you're into night photography, on the North Shore of Oahu and up in the mountains of Kauai, the stars on a clear night are wonderful. And if there is full moon, in a place like Hanalei is pretty close to heaven. Do you have a travel tripod?
Don't have a travel tripod. Any suggestions?
09-07-2016, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrpackerguy Quote
Gorillapod?
09-07-2016, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hard to beat the Sirui Carbon Fiber travel tripod with ball head. Folds down to around 12". I have one and I just use a backpack to give it added weight and stability if it's windy.

Sirui T-025X Carbon Fiber Tripod with C-10S Ball Head SUT025X

09-07-2016, 09:57 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Manfrotto Befree and it's pretty good for what it is. With that small setup you might be able to get away with something really minimal like someone mentioned, a Gorillapod or I have a Ultrapod II and it's big enough for a K-x and prime as long as you can attach to a tree/post or set it on something. Not as good as a bigger tripod but much easier to carry if you must go minimal.
09-08-2016, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh, one more thing you can do is check websites like Flickr, 500px, etc for photos of the same locations you will be visiting, then look at the gear that was used for those photos. For example, if most photos of a volcano you will be visiting are taken around 80-135mm, then a 14mm might not be much use there. Just decide which type of photos you want to take. You can still put your own spin on them, but there is nothing wrong with looking for some inspiration, guidance online
09-08-2016, 10:28 AM   #22
Pentaxian

We're going to the Big Island in a week too, so debating the same question... My thinking is to take the K-50 with 18-135WR, Gorillapod, and my WG-10 for snorkeling. We did a week on Kauai a few years ago, and my dive camera (Oly ZX-1 & housing) was the only thing I took along. That I do regret, there are many shots I wish I'd taken with the big rig... I don't want to lug around too much gear, but I do want better than my P&S will give.

Jim

09-08-2016, 12:16 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
We're going to the Big Island in a week too, so debating the same question... My thinking is to take the K-50 with 18-135WR, Gorillapod, and my WG-10 for snorkeling. We did a week on Kauai a few years ago, and my dive camera (Oly ZX-1 & housing) was the only thing I took along. That I do regret, there are many shots I wish I'd taken with the big rig... I don't want to lug around too much gear, but I do want better than my P&S will give.

Jim
Jim,
If you're lucky enough to get close enough to the lava that you can feel the heat or smell toxic gas, beware that it is very corrosive and can ruin the multi-coating on your front element. Put on a clear filter in those cases and ideally one with a metal ring so that the heat and gases won't fuse the filter on. Also the lava in Halemaumau crater is rising again and you could get some awesome night shots if you have a decent tripod.

AND AND AND, everyone is hyper aware of Zika and Dengue fever from mosquitoes: Use mosquito repellent with Picaridin NOT DEET. Deet spray on your hands that then touches your camera plastics/polycarbonate makes it sticky and gross. Picaridin doesn't. You should be able to find that at Walmart in Hilo.
09-08-2016, 02:28 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Jim,
If you're lucky enough to get close enough to the lava that you can feel the heat or smell toxic gas, beware that it is very corrosive and can ruin the multi-coating on your front element. Put on a clear filter in those cases and ideally one with a metal ring so that the heat and gases won't fuse the filter on. Also the lava in Halemaumau crater is rising again and you could get some awesome night shots if you have a decent tripod.

AND AND AND, everyone is hyper aware of Zika and Dengue fever from mosquitoes: Use mosquito repellent with Picaridin NOT DEET. Deet spray on your hands that then touches your camera plastics/polycarbonate makes it sticky and gross. Picaridin doesn't. You should be able to find that at Walmart in Hilo.
Hmm, good points. Took the K-50 on a Caribbean cruise in July and didn't notice any issues from the bugjuice, but good to know regardless. I don't know if we'll be able to get any nighttime viewing, the spousal unit's doing a conference and we may only get a daytime trip over from where we'll be (a little ways N of Kona). Regardless, saying Hi to Pele is on my bucket list so really anticipating it, and I'll make sure there's a filter on...

Mahalo!

Jim
09-09-2016, 07:21 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I would love to get to the big island, but those new large lava flows started after we booked our trip. And everyone I talked to said to not island hop on the vacation otherwise all you'll do is spend your time travelling. That's why we picked Oahu and Kauai for our ten days, 5 at each island.

I should mention that my zoom is actually the 18-135, not the 18-250. I'm still inclined to take the primes vs just the 18-135mm, based on the discussions here.
09-09-2016, 08:05 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would love to get to the big island, but those new large lava flows started after we booked our trip. And everyone I talked to said to not island hop on the vacation otherwise all you'll do is spend your time travelling. That's why we picked Oahu and Kauai for our ten days, 5 at each island.

I should mention that my zoom is actually the 18-135, not the 18-250. I'm still inclined to take the primes vs just the 18-135mm, based on the discussions here.
Take them all!
09-09-2016, 09:01 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Youʻre wise not to try to do more than two islands. They are all unique in their own ways and your days (and nights) will be full just on Oahu and Kauai. Hawaii (aka The Big Island) is larger than all the other islands combined and Kilauea erupted and has been active since 1983 and there is no sign Pele will stop....so youʻve got time to come back and see that again one day.
09-09-2016, 10:58 AM   #28

Youʻre wise not to try to do more than two islands. They are all unique in their own ways and your days (and nights) will be full just on Oahu and Kauai. Hawaii (aka The Big Island) is larger than all the other islands combined and Kilauea erupted and has been active since 1983 and there is no sign Pele will stop....so youʻve got time to come back and see that again one day.
Madame Pele is very finicky. I was on the Big Island (now Hawaii Island) several years ago and got some fun shots, bobbing off the coast, of lava flowing into the ocean at sunrise. This year I just missed the flow and only go to see partial glimpses of flowing lava so yes you might have to go back.

My 16-50 was water proof enough to withstand a very bouncy ride on a rigid hull inflatable down the Napali Coast and the 50-135 got drenched by back wash while taking pictures of the lava, but my k5, 50-135 kept on going.

Back on topic, my minimum kit for Hawaii is Rokinon 10 for landscapes. 16-50 for landscapes and walk-around. 100 macro for flowers and geckos.
09-09-2016, 04:30 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Seriously thinking I should add my 12-24 to my kit for the trip... Sunsets, (old) lava flows, beaches... Hmmm

Jim
10-12-2016, 11:06 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, we're leaving Friday and I picked up an HD 21mm Ltd here on the classifieds, so think now of taking that, plus the 35mm Ltd Macro and the 77mm Ltd, leaving the 18-135 at home. Hope I won't miss the zoom of the 18-135mm. Would I find much use for the 35mm Ltd Macro? The 21mm HD Ltd seems to be the better walkaround lens.