Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
10-12-2016, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrpackerguy Quote
Well, we're leaving Friday and I picked up an HD 21mm Ltd here on the classifieds, so think now of taking that, plus the 35mm Ltd Macro and the 77mm Ltd, leaving the 18-135 at home. Hope I won't miss the zoom of the 18-135mm. Would I find much use for the 35mm Ltd Macro? The 21mm HD Ltd seems to be the better walkaround lens.
It is hard, if not impossible, to not think about the lens not on your camera...whether it is in your camera bag or across the ocean. So having temporary amnesia helps immensely. I think your three prime choices are excellent.

Right now as I am teaching 5 classes in photography with about 100 high school students total, the best images are coming from a student shooting with a 35mm prime. He could "what if" all day, but he isn't and by eliminating all the other focal lengths, his work is very strong.

For MY style of photography, I would use the 21mm initially to capture the whole environment, but would then go to the 35mm macro for details and walking around.

10-12-2016, 11:29 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Excellent advice
10-12-2016, 11:29 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mrpackerguy Quote
Well, we're leaving Friday and I picked up an HD 21mm Ltd here on the classifieds, so think now of taking that, plus the 35mm Ltd Macro and the 77mm Ltd, leaving the 18-135 at home. Hope I won't miss the zoom of the 18-135mm. Would I find much use for the 35mm Ltd Macro? The 21mm HD Ltd seems to be the better walkaround lens.
Just don't change lenses at the beach! I'm sure you will get some good stuff with that lineup. Lots of flowers and critters for macro if you like to shoot that kind of subject.
10-27-2016, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
We're back. I took the 21mm HD Ltd, 35mm Ltd Macro and the 77mm Ltd. Of the 3, the 21mm got the most use, mostly because (I think) of the beautiful landscapes and scenery. I'm going to work on the pics this weekend and will post the best few.

11-10-2016, 01:26 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Some of my better shots, but they never turn out like you hoped they would.

11-10-2016, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When I moved to Hawaii back in the late 90ʻs I found it hard to shoot because of the high contrast bright sunlight, deep shadows, and intense colors. But years later, looking back at photos I was initially disappointed in, it didnʻt matter as they were great memories. Both Oahu and Kauai are packed with sights and it looks like you even got a helicopter tour of Kauai. Love it!