Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2016, 08:01 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Full moon rises at gold/blue hour on the 16th.

It looks like all over the world the moon rises about 10 minutes after sunset this next time. thats just as the blue hour is starting. Could make a good photo if you have your camera pointed at the right composition at that short period of time.

09-08-2016, 09:05 PM   #2
a5m
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the heads up. I've been waiting for these rare occurrences to happen ever since I got a DSLR. I'll put the A 400mm to work .
09-08-2016, 10:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Close to the equinox too, so I could have a decent shot of my local volcano (due east) with it!
09-08-2016, 10:09 PM   #4
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some planning tools

Ta for the reminder, I need a bit of motivation to get out at the moment. Unfortunately where I am there's a lot of cloud around at the moment so hopefully that will clear a bit before the full moon.

Most people are probably already familiar with some good tools for planning moon shots, but for those that aren't I always plan using this tool: The Photographer's Ephemeris: TPE for Desktop

I also have the ephemeris on my Android phone but find that once in-situ the App Sun-Surveyor is more useful. I use the paid version, however I believe the Sun Surveyor Lite App is free.

Hopefully we'll get some people posting their images in this thread or the moon thread here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/27...your-moon.html

Tas

09-09-2016, 04:47 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
May next year will be good. Moon rises before the sunsets so it can get some height. a full 4 minutes before sunset here. Of course you can get some moon sets after sunrise if you want the moon facing the other way. I'm going for a lighthouse with hopefully some boats and the moon coming out of the water this time. Back in nov 2007 I had a full ten minutes of rise before sunset. I didn't plan well and was still driving back from a day trip. I had to pull over, climb a hill, and then climb a baseball cage and shoot one handed with old tech at high Iso. It is nice at high quality but could have been stunning if I planned.
09-09-2016, 06:38 PM   #6
a5m
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
May next year will be good. Moon rises before the sunsets so it can get some height. a full 4 minutes before sunset here. Of course you can get some moon sets after sunrise if you want the moon facing the other way. I'm going for a lighthouse with hopefully some boats and the moon coming out of the water this time. Back in nov 2007 I had a full ten minutes of rise before sunset. I didn't plan well and was still driving back from a day trip. I had to pull over, climb a hill, and then climb a baseball cage and shoot one handed with old tech at high Iso. It is nice at high quality but could have been stunning if I planned.
Considering it was unplanned I think it turned out great. Wouldn't have guessed you had to go through all that trouble to take that shot.

In the past I've seen the Moon out before sunset and it never occurred to me to try and capture it. I will try and prepare and have a plan for the upcoming week. I think I have the right gear to take a good picture. Plus it's something that I've been wanting to do so it's worth it just for the experience. It'll come in handy for next May.