Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2016, 12:31 PM   #31
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clou Quote
Kata could have interesting things for you as well.
I think Kata has been bought by another company, so may not be called Kata.

09-12-2016, 12:35 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I think Kata has been bought by another company, so may not be called Kata.
Did you click on the link? They kept the brand name - just like Pentax and Ricoh...
09-12-2016, 12:50 PM   #33
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clou Quote
Did you click on the link? They kept the brand name - just like Pentax and Ricoh...
Yes I did; and here's what is on their site:

"Kata items are no longer available, please proceed to Manfrotto Bags to find the best fit for you! "
09-12-2016, 01:02 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have activity-specific packs for hiking, backpacking, mountain biking, and skiing. I usually bring my camera in neoprene and/or a small dry bag inside the appropriate pack for my activity. Tripod goes strapped to the outside if I need to bring it. I only use camera-specific packs for short trips as they don't accommodate the other stuff I need to survive as well.
I'll also wear a Black Rapid sling to keep it handy for quick grab shots as needed and is practical.

09-12-2016, 01:25 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Yes I did; and here's what is on their site:

"Kata items are no longer available, please proceed to Manfrotto Bags to find the best fit for you! "
This was pretty well hidden, but I finally found it in the product descriptions. May be different depending from where you access the site.

Why not telling straight away that it belongs to the same company like Manfrotto and that this brand should be used now?
09-12-2016, 01:28 PM   #36
Veteran Member

So most of my hikes are heavily about photography. I try to carry as little non-photography equipment as possible, so I can maximize what I can take of camera gear.

I carry a backpack that is primarily for backpacking (i.e. it isn't for camera gear really at all). I carry a backpack with some waist support, and I try to get one with at least two larger compartments. One will be used for a camera insert, and I'll carry 2 to 3 lenses and batteries. The other is for carrying food, water, and a jacket layer or two. The tripod straps to some outer straps (if I bring the tripod). The camera and one lens stay over my sholder usually attached to the front of the shoulder straps using a Peak Design Clip. My backpack has a mesh pocket on each side, so I occasionally use that for a lens for quick access.

I rarely have any problems with the setup, and I usually have one or two lenses that are all I need during a day. Using a dedicated backpack allows weight to be distributed better. A good outdoors shop will have so many options, and they are designed to make more weight feel like less weight. Camera bags never fully succeed at that.

As for falling concerns... I just don't worry about it. By having that setup, I'm not any different than if I was backpacking, and I keep myself always in balance. If I were to fall, I'd be more concerned about myself than my camera. I can live with that.

I've tried carrying camera bags and different gear, but it gets awkward, which then makes falling a real possibility. Most of my hiking is in the Sierra Nevada and Cascade ranges along the western U.S. There are too many rocks, cliffs, etc, that I'd rather keep things to one backpack or less.

And, yes, I do occasionally carry less. i.e. a camera, an attached lens, and one other lens and battery in the pockets of cargo pants. It's not good when you might need water or food, but it has worked well at making a day hike a half day hike due to less weight and fast speed.
01-06-2017, 03:27 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Interesting to read how people solve this in different ways.

This is my approach, too. First priority is to have a good backpack for heavy carrying. Photo equipment goes in there, then I cross-wrap the neck strap three times around my wrist (to take most of the weight) and carry the camera with my choice lens in hand.

Of course, for me hiking comes first, photography second - unless I'm on my own.
For me as well, hiking comes first unless I'm alone. I've carried my K3 + 16-85 in my hand without wrapping the neck strap around my wrist with no problems, even on steep slopes. I doubt that I can do this with the much heavier combo of K1 + Sigma 24-70, however! So maybe I'll stay with K3 + 16-85 for walkarounds, and keep using my Lowepro Flipside for serious shoots. https://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Flipside-DSLR-Camera-Backpack/dp/B001APJZ50/r...o+400+flipside