Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2016, 01:22 PM   #1

Why full or medium format????

Look at this:

Robin Wong: Huawei P9 Camera Review - Is This The Photographer's Smartphone?

Just looking at the pictures an NOT the feeling of the camera!!!! JUST pictures!

09-18-2016, 01:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You don't need the best camera to take great pictures just like you don't need the best phone for that. Good equipment will enable you to get good pictures more easily and in a wider range of subjects.

/thread
09-18-2016, 02:03 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Yes, they do make progresses, don't they

Regarding the question: at best you could ask would be "why aps-c" and even there it's debatable (assuming you move pass the kit lens).
To go with the question in the full/medium, format territory.. i will put it on your initial enthusiasm.

Maybe, for the younger generation. Us ol' timers (i include myself here a bit forceful) like familiarity. The feel of the camera in the hand, control via buttons etc. It will be very hard to convince us to consider the transition
09-18-2016, 02:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use whatever works for you. Only you know what type of tool you need for the type of photograph you want and your presentation style.

Large format or medium format film are still pretty hard to top, especially if you are a printer and want large prints. Their tonality, detail and color is astonishing. Analogue is still a step apart and really requires different processes to bring out their best. That is why, imho, attempts to compare in the digital domain fall flat on their face. It is best to make your prints and then stand in front of them to make your decisions. After all, for most photography, that is the final product.

But, you may not want to print large, or even print at all. Nothing wrong with that. Cell phone cameras have become quite good and the ability to pack them with you all the time is definitely a plus. You have the ability to share quickly and easily with others. Software allows quick editing and interesting special effects that may be difficult or impossible to do in an analogue workflow.

As it always has, it really comes down to what you want to do with your final product. It really isn't about replacing, it is about picking the tool that works best for what you want to do.

09-18-2016, 02:26 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My camera phone works great and I don't have to carry a P&S.
When I want something small and light I grab a M4/3.
When I do serious Photography I grab APS-C.

For those special occasions and the Fun, I grab my 120 Film camera and blow all of the above away. With a good film and a good scan there is No comparison
09-18-2016, 02:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why? Because any DSLR or MILC would blow those images out of the water for rendering, particularly so in low light. Let alone medium/large format.
Why not? Maybe you want something that fits in your shirt pocket that takes reasonably good pictures while also being a phone. No camera will do that.
09-18-2016, 02:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've seen amazing photos taken with a smartphone. Or even a DSLR and a pinhole lens mounted. Many things are possible, but it still takes a lot of work and skill. And with worse equipment, you usually need more of both.

I'm not sure how that P9 phone works, though. Don't the two cameras have different perspectives? How can it merge the photos without risking artefacts? And to me, this is the main problem with smartphones. Yes, they can make a decent final photo, but they don't give you nearly enough control or explanation of how things work. You don't know how much NR, sharpening, contrast adding, saturation, curves adjustment is being done to the raw image to make the jpeg. They can produce good photos, but they are not so much a result of the user, as much as they are of the team that made the camera and software. I've seen those "Cheap camera pro photographer challenge" videos and the pros mostly struggle with limiting what the camera does, so it does only what they want and nothing more. Then they can produce creative, beautiful photos. There is a reason why better cameras become more complicated to use - because they let the photographer do it all. MF is more difficult to use than APSC, and 67 even more, and technical cameras more still.

Tl;dr: Smartphones have too much automation for my likes, and not enough transparency in how they work and produce the final image. But interesting technologies in that link

09-18-2016, 03:55 PM   #8
Brooke Meyer

I'd love to know what camera was used to make photographs of the phone ;-)
09-18-2016, 08:18 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The sample images with a sharp subject and blurred background generally work well. Excellent performance for such a tiny carry-everywhere camera. Low light performance looks good, too.

The images with a blurred foreground look artificially blurred, like sloppy Photoshop work. 2 simultaneous lenses get different parallax angles for close subjects.

Here's one example of the foreground problem: This image struck me like a poor usage of tilt-shift or lensbaby. The foreground railing blurs in an unappealing manner. The DOF and focus distance in the center of the image doesn't correspond with the right side. https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8ga_7pOONsM/V7iI5OyVyGI/AAAAAAAAyaY/zfmxE1yWRdskP...0_100605_3.jpg