Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2016, 08:40 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photokina interview

I do not know if you are planning to do the usual photokina interview, but if you do so I would like to ask you guys to address four things which are not the usual "what product next" questions they never answer.
Actually just making them aware of the questions and suggestions would be a good step.

1)
send them the firmware enhancement suggest list (see here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/322777-thread-co...ml#post3776764) up front and ask them to kindly comment anything they feel like. Even if they do not comment anything I consider it to be already a good thing if that list of suggestions gets to the attention of any of their Japanese engineers or product managers. You could even tell them that.

2)
Ask them if they might consider publishing a piece of documentation on the metadata we find as part of the "makernotes" of any image file from the Pentax cameras. Its there and Phil Harvey tries to decode it in exiftool - he is sucessful to a medium degree. But we do know that there is a 99% chance that each and every setting of the camera is coded in there, we just are unable to read it. I do not understand how this could be considered "secret" (there might be some more secret data in their on AF but I am not even asking for this), so all it needs is some of their engineers publishing their metadata specs with regards to non-confidential stuff. I assume very little is really confidential.

3)
Ask them if they can provide some meaningful documentation on the Program lines: e.g. what is the difference between auto and normal?
Currently we have to go try and error on product feature and still do not understand.

4)
Ask them if they can provide some meaningful documentation on what the "auto" settings in the autofocus priorities actually do.
Currently we have to go try and error on product feature and still do not understand.

09-20-2016, 10:07 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
RE: #4 above on AF - a White Paper such as Nikon has done would be a most helpful, proactive support item.
09-20-2016, 10:56 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Please ask them if they have problems supplying parts for K-1 repair to foreign countries. Waiting for 2 months now for repair because of parts being send from Asia to Germany... (probably the motherboard of the camera)
09-20-2016, 01:11 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We've already conducted the interview, unfortunately, so these points will have to wait until a later time. I think WPPI may be a better place to ask these sorts of technical questions, anyway, as the management-level representatives we interview formally usually focus on more general matters.

Also, I don't think it would hurt to just e-mail customer support with these questions. Surely someone somewhere must know the answers!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-20-2016, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
On the Program line.

That was explained in a book about K20D. I will look where I can find that book coming week. Maybe it is still the same.
09-20-2016, 11:51 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We've already conducted the interview, unfortunately, so these points will have to wait until a later time. I think WPPI may be a better place to ask these sorts of technical questions, anyway, as the management-level representatives we interview formally usually focus on more general matters.

Also, I don't think it would hurt to just e-mail customer support with these questions. Surely someone somewhere must know the answers!
Darn. If you can get these questions out on WPPI that would be great then.

The documentation questions I already asked to support in Europe. They took them and promised to check, but never replied with anything. The knowledge level of the support here is no better than the average enthusiast user you find. They try their best (willingness is not the issue), but do not have access to anything close to an actual engineer. Their complete field organisation is just a shame when it comes to any sort of user interaction.

That's why I think communicating with resources from Japan is the only hope.

Maybe someone with Japanese language skills can ask their support?