Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2016, 06:03 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Travel workshop experience, worth the money?

I see offers all the time, to different locations, and they are not usually cheap.
The last one I calculated is about $700 per day per person after transportation and accommodation expenses, and it's for 5 days.
I doubt that for the group of 12 it will be enough attention to everybody in that group. The schedule is mostly photo walks together.

I'm curious if workshops like this would worth spending such an amount of money of the top of other expenses? Has anyone tried workshops?

09-21-2016, 09:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

See how much it would cost to go to the location alone, then add a bit for a guide and a bit for a photographer tutor. Is it more than what the course costs? If so, then it might be worth it.

(full disclosure: I've learned what I know of photography from the internet, books and "just doin' it(tm)". Never been to a workshop of any kind. From what I've seen, these are sometimes worth it just because the trip is so much better organized)
09-22-2016, 01:22 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I see offers all the time, to different locations, and they are not usually cheap.
The last one I calculated is about $700 per day per person after transportation and accommodation expenses, and it's for 5 days.
I doubt that for the group of 12 it will be enough attention to everybody in that group. The schedule is mostly photo walks together.

I'm curious if workshops like this would worth spending such an amount of money of the top of other expenses? Has anyone tried workshops?
I seriously doubt it as I think DIY is more satisfying and rewarding. Exceptions could be when you have so much money the cost doesn't matter or when the workshop is run be a recognized photo superstar or it's being held in a very exotic location with particular logistics involved. I certainly would not mind participating in one, but definitely will not spend that kind of money for a group tour with periodic photo instruction. To each his own...
09-22-2016, 01:40 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Some years ago, a friend and I paid a Swedish photographer to take just the two of us for a day-long (12 hour) shoot in the rural areas of Uppsala County. It was enjoyable, but we didn't learn much at all about technique (something I would have benefitted greatly from), and many of the shots we got were near enough carbon-copies of those he had previously taken and published in one or more books. The following day, my friend and I visited Stockholm to do some street photography, and I personally think we came away with a far more original and satisfying body of work from that.

These days, I suppose I'd happily spend money on a one-to-one or small group workshop that is targeted towards a specific technique (fashion, portraiture, macro, birds in flight, studio lighting etc.) and where I feel the main purpose is receiving hands-on tuition from a proven, experienced photographer. But for a "photo-walk", I'd be more likely to research locations and plan a route on my own, or with a couple of friends.

09-22-2016, 05:29 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
These days, I suppose I'd happily spend money on a one-to-one or small group workshop that is targeted towards a specific technique (fashion, portraiture, macro, birds in flight, studio lighting etc.) and where I feel the main purpose is receiving hands-on tuition from a proven, experienced photographer. But for a "photo-walk", I'd be more likely to research locations and plan a route on my own, or with a couple of friends.
That's exactly what I think. Workshop for 12 people is not the way to learn anything, imo. Paying such an amount of money (I checked the cost of airfare plus rental apartments and substructured that cost from the total), almost $700 per day for walking in group and shooting?

---------- Post added 09-22-16 at 05:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Davidparis Quote
Exceptions could be when you have so much money...
I wish. But even if I would, $3500 would be more wisely invested in glass, or camera body.
09-22-2016, 05:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have attended workshops that were fairly expensive in their time, but none of them were the type of workshops where you travel to a foreign location to shoot. The worst workshop wasn't really all that bad, but it was mainly an excuse to hang out for a few days with a well-known photographer. The best workshop changed the course of my life. It set in motion a series of things that resulted in being able to land a near dream job. The odd thing is that in the course of doing my job, I was attending the opening of an exhibition by a former commercial photographer and chatting with him. He had recently changed from doing his commercial work in order to concentrate on doing more personal work and publishing books. I asked him why he decided to make the change and he said it was due to a workshop he'd taken. I said, "Hey...same thing happened to me! A workshop changed the direction of my life, too." I asked him whose workshop he'd taken. Turned out to be the same guy I'd studied with about 15 years before.
09-22-2016, 06:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
The best workshop changed the course of my life. It set in motion a series of things that resulted in being able to land a near dream job.
Good to hear that some workshops may do that.
My facebook friend, pro photographer is now taking workshop/class with one famous photographer locally. I did not ask her how much she pays, but it obviously worth of investment for her.
That workshop is not a photowalk style.

09-22-2016, 11:26 AM   #8
Forum Member

I can see attending really small group (<5) workshop. Anything bigger than that were typically excuses for wealthy people comparing equipment. The same thing for tour group in general. Nowadays, I'd arrange private tours to locations that I am not familiar with.
09-22-2016, 02:49 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe you could look for festivals that include photograhy workshops and outings.

I have gone to several birding festivals where there are photo workshops and outings. The cost is usually very reasonable, and I benefit from them knowing the "good" spots. There are also wildflower events and fall colors events, etc.

Something of this nature could be worth a look-see.
09-23-2016, 08:41 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
I have gone to several birding festivals where there are photo workshops and outings. The cost is usually very reasonable, and I benefit from them knowing the "good" spots. There are also wildflower events and fall colors events, etc.

Something of this nature could be worth a look-see.
I found similar birding events locally, yes. And they also reasonably priced.
As for travel workshops, I searched them out of curiosity to find out if it worth money to pay for that format.
It seems cheaper and better to find either very small group, or just a companion with the camera for travel abroad.
10-04-2016, 03:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I think I'd be more tempted to look into workshops of a local nature (close to home), in places I already know. The reason would be is that I can focus on the technique and composition and less on the post-card aspect that I imagine happens when one goes on these travel workshops.

When I was in Iceland for a trip in 2012, about 1/3 of the way in my trip, I kept running into this photo tour at different sites. Everyone would get off the bus, hike a little ways, and then perch themselves in one spot to take a photo or even take turns waiting in line for a photo. I didn't see any instruction (perhaps it was happening in the evenings or on the bus), and I didn't see anyone trying to be creative with their composition. I think I even took a photo or two of the group at one particular spot where they were all in line to take a photo from the edge of a canyon towards a waterfall (I know that's most places in Iceland). It was humorous and made for one of the more interesting photos of my trip.

In all honesty, I think I learned what I needed for that trip from Flickr and Google Earth. That's actually how I scope out most of my photo-shoots, within reason. I can't afford $700 a day nor would I want to. I'm not a pro either, and I just have fun traveling somewhere and getting photos that are not like the standard post-cards (otherwise I'd just buy someone else's photo). I actually travel places because I like to travel and use the camera to challenge myself to get a different perspective from what everyone is used to. There is a lot more to see of places than what we all know from television. That's part of what makes street photography so fun in a city. You see more than the landmarks.
10-04-2016, 03:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I just received an invitation to do one on Norfolk Island. Why wasn't there one while I was living there for three years?
10-04-2016, 04:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

To my ears, that sounds expensive.
Like others have said:
a) if workshop has a big group, you will not get as much guidance (though this really depends on the teacher and your own enthusiasm)
b) often these workshops will give you some amazing photos, but everyone in the workshop will get the exact same photo, because that is the photo that the guide learned to take and has been teaching for years (for example, blue hour at a certain location with a certain focal length, taking in a majestic view)

Maybe if its a really special trail, where you need a guide to travel. Or they unlock some special locations that cannot be visited otherwise.
I'd think with that money you could afford to travel to some cool location and take a few days at your own pace. Bring along some photo friends if you wish, that might help all of you grow a bit
10-04-2016, 04:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

For $700 daily? Nah!, unless its a very unique place who need special permission and a very good photo tutor i would not pay that amount.

Few days ago there was a free workshop about night photography, open to 50 people, people must get a the place by themselves, but they will provide some models (women and male) the permisions of the park, the workshop duration was for about 4hrs, they give the 101, about equipment, and first steps via facebook a few day before the workshop, i wanst able to assist, but for the FB gruop it seems like an interesting workshop; what this all mean? Search on facebook or similar in the photogroups, sometimes something pops out free, even scott kelby do a (international) photowalk the day after that workshop, and i miss that too. Both free. Sigh....