Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2016, 09:25 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yahoo/Flickr is expected to confirm a massive data breach

QuoteQuote:
Yahoo [Flickr] is poised to confirm a massive data breach of its service, according to several sources close to the situation, hacking that has exposed several hundred million user accounts.

While sources were unspecific about the extent of the incursion, since there is the likelihood of government investigations and legal action related to the breach, they noted that it is widespread and serious.

Earlier this summer, Yahoo said it was investigating a data breach in which hackers claimed to have access to 200 million user accounts and one was selling them online. “It’s as bad as that,” said one source. “Worse, really.”

You can check if your account(s) has been included in any of a large number of known past breaches at...

09-22-2016, 09:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Joy. Thanks
09-22-2016, 09:55 AM - 4 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
You can check if your account(s) has been included in any of a large number of known past breaches at...
The cynical half of my brain is saying "what a great way to gather a database of valid emails without needing to hack one of these other services!"
Save
09-22-2016, 10:02 AM - 22 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just checked my Flickr account, and I've been hacked! All my pictures look uninspired and mediocre now!

Wait, wait, no, that's normal. Never mind - false alarm!

09-22-2016, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I just checked my Flickr account, and I've been hacked! All my pictures look uninspired and mediocre now!

Wait, wait, no, that's normal. Never mind - false alarm!
I am so glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read this ^^^ 'cus I roared out loud!
09-22-2016, 10:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I was wondering why Yahoo had been insisting I should change my password every time I logged in in the last couple of weeks. I have a good strong password, I thought, why should I change it? It's a pain to make (and remember) a new, long, hard to guess password. But I just changed my password now...
09-22-2016, 11:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As my IT Security guys say...it's much more secure to use an often-changed long randomised password and write it down, than it is to make one that's easier to remember, no matter how 'strong' you think it is.

The kind of people that want your password are extremely unlikely to rob you, and the kind of people who rob you are not interested in passwords....

09-22-2016, 11:31 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yahoo!!! Not on the list.
09-22-2016, 11:39 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

one of my emails is reported by the site

what do I do next

(be gentle, I'm a paper and pen/pencil guy and computers and I don't get along)
09-22-2016, 12:13 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
one of my emails is reported by the site

what do I do next

(be gentle, I'm a paper and pen/pencil guy and computers and I don't get along)
My personal suggestion is to change your passwords for email and other sites. My second suggestion is that you try to at least have several passwords so that you don't use the same one everywhere ideally one for each site that is unique. Next I suggest having more than one email account so you can recover the first if it is compromised. And finally on those sites that support it use two factor authentication where they send a code to you via text or email when you login from an unknown computer.
09-22-2016, 12:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
[good stuff...] And finally on those sites that support it use two factor authentication where they send a code to you via text or email when you login from an unknown computer.
It is worth noting that Yahoo supports this, so if you mostly always log in from the same devices, it might be worth turning on... From Flickr, click on your avatar (top right icon), then "Settings", "Edit your Yahoo preferences", (might need to enter your password at this point), "Account security" and "Two-step verification".
09-22-2016, 01:41 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Update - they have announced 500 million...

Yahoo has confirmed a data breach with 500 million accounts stolen, as questions about disclosure to Verizon and users grow - Recode
09-22-2016, 06:52 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
You can check if your account(s) has been included in any of a large number of known past breaches at...Have I been pwned? Check if your email has been compromised in a data breach
Is this only for a Yahoo account or for ANY email account?
09-22-2016, 07:07 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Is this only for a Yahoo account or for ANY email account?
Any. It has loads of breach data to cull.
09-22-2016, 07:23 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Any. It has loads of breach data to cull.
Thanks !
I actually checked a few things and one email address returned "positive" for some breaching ... I was pissed off!
I returned moments later and retyped the very same email address ...no breach! Go figure ???