Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 53 Likes Search this Thread
09-22-2016, 11:28 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are We Too Focused On Having To Have The "Latest & Greatest" Gear?

"Photography has not changed since its origin, except in its technical aspects - which for me are not a major concern."
Henri Cartier Bresson 1978

After reading this famous quote, it got me thinking about all of the time I've wasted on equipment upgrading over these last few years.

I suspect that the equipment I have today is good enough for my photography goals and aspirations for years to come.

Now it's time to shift gears, work on my ability to see meaningful images (creative vision), and then go out and make more and better photographs...

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 09-22-2016 at 12:08 PM.
09-22-2016, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
i think this is a great quote considering some of the discussions over the last few days, where some members expressed frustration that Ricoh-Pentax is not coming up with something new.
09-22-2016, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

In a word, yes.

But it sure is fun to play with new toys, and so long as we don't expect advances in technology to replace knowledge, good technique and sound practices, I say "have at it!". Some folks like to play with train sets, others like the latest camera or lens...
09-22-2016, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I'm not too focused on that. I have old gear
But i do agree with that, when I see photographers that sell their whole system and buy all new stuff (often from whatever brand seems to be popular at that moment) it every couple of years..

09-22-2016, 11:54 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Yep, without question.

Sometimes I wonder if we are photographers or gear collectors.
09-22-2016, 11:58 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Being broke goes a long way to curing that. That slight edge in x,y, or sharpness is moot. Different takes the place of latest greatest. A helios 44-2 would give different rendering. I think this is a good thing because its about exploring how to create. The latest is more about reproducing concepts you already have which stagnates creative growth.
09-22-2016, 12:01 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"Photography has not changed since its origin, except in its technical aspects - which for me are not a major concern."

After reading this famous quote, it got me thinking about all of the time I've wasted on equipment upgrading over these last few years.

I suspect that the equipment I have today is good enough for my photography goals and aspirations for years to come.

Now it's time to shift gears, work on my ability to see meaningful images (creative vision), and go out and make more and better photographs...
I agree. It's hard to avoid sometimes but an admirable goal.

QuoteOriginally posted by bwgv001 Quote
i think this is a great quote considering some of the discussions over the last few days, where some members expressed frustration that Ricoh-Pentax is not coming up with something new.
Here I disagree. If the brand doesn't keep up - no new buyers will consider it. Why buy 2 year old technology from Pentax if brand new options from Nikon and Canon exist and you are just entering the field? At the moment with the K-1 and K-70 bodies the brand is on track - but in the lens department some of the offerings are a bit long in the tooth and not competitive with other brands. I'm too nostalgic and I don't need a lot of the lenses that some people feel are important. So I'm here for a long time I suspect.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote

In a word, yes.

But it sure is fun to play with new toys, and so long as we don't expect advances in technology to replace knowledge, good technique and sound practices, I say "have at it!". Some folks like to play with train sets, others like the latest camera or lens...
My dad is an equipment freak. He's so funny to chat with - he gets wrapped up in it and happy. As long as he is happy I'm happy.

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I'm not too focused on that. I have old gear
But i do agree with that, when I see photographers that sell their whole system and buy all new stuff (often from whatever brand seems to be popular at that moment) it every couple of years..
That's an interesting thing to see. I often wonder about the real differences. I would love to see a layout from some who have done this:

Imagine a webpage saying:
Here are my Pentax years pics:
Here are my Nikon years pics - these particular ones are shots I could not get with my Pentax...
Here are my Canon years pics...
Here are my Pentax medium format pics...
Here's my 8x10 pics...

Seeing a layout of this type and then asking them to try a previous brand to see if the equipment or simply photographer growth was responsible for the perceived delta in quality.

Hummm... that's an idea in itself. Photographic Growth charts... showing progression in images attempted and those you succeeded at vs. those you failed at. Daunting without tossing equipment variation in the mix.

09-22-2016, 12:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The number of people who are still to this day desparate to be even half the photographer HCB was, tells you the answer.
Anybody can buy kit, it makes not one jot of difference to how good a photographer you are.

That said, HCB did have fairly expensive tastes in equipment!
09-22-2016, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've always kept using cameras until they break or are so out of date that I'm at too significant a disadvantage to compete in places where IQ matters. I think that buying the K-1 is the first time that I've bought a new camera while still intending to go on using another one (K-3) equally (for different things). More generally, I've always said that you shouldn't upgrade until you are sure that it's the technology, not your own shortcomings as a photographer, that's holding you back. Having said all of which, a new, updated camera, can give your photography a real shot on the arm as you try out new things and put it through its paces - so nyah - a newer camera won't make you a better photographer, but it might let you take better pictures - and that might be the encouragement you need to put in the hours to improve,
09-22-2016, 12:05 PM   #10
Pentaxian

That all depends. I think we can all agree that buying new gear immediately on release simply to be able to say you have the latest and greatest is probably not a good thing, but on the other hand camera companies must innovate in order to win new customers who don't yet have ANY gear...

QuoteOriginally posted by bwgv001 Quote
some members expressed frustration that Ricoh-Pentax is not coming up with something new.
...and without actually being able to read minds, there is no way to know for sure whether that frustration is born of just wanting new gear to obsess over, or wanting your favourite camera company to be healthy and innovative with ongoing lines of fresh stuff that will keep the new buyers coming and the company alive into the next generation (something we all want).
09-22-2016, 12:08 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I've always kept using cameras until they break or are so out of date that I'm at too significant a disadvantage to compete in places where IQ matters. I think that buying the K-1 is the first time that I've bought a new camera while still intending to go on using another one (K-3) equally (for different things). More generally, I've always said that you shouldn't upgrade until you are sure that it's the technology, not your own shortcomings as a photographer, that's holding you back. Having said all of which, a new, updated camera, can give your photography a real shot on the arm as you try out new things and put it through its paces - so nyah - a newer camera won't make you a better photographer, but it might let you take better pictures - and that might be the encouragement you need to put in the hours to improve,
I hear you. My K100D Super was my primary option until the K-50 was purchased, I'd still be shooting that but a deal I couldn't pass on the K-3 was offered and I took it. (Actually my DAD took advantage of a deal and bought two and gave me one!) Before digital I had a long history and not a lot of leapfrog upgrades. The one difference is that in the film era - the body made little difference in IQ - a K1000 can make the same images as a PZ-1 just with a slightly different selection of lenses available (the PZ-1 can use lenses without an aperture ring without them being limited).

Today there are real IQ differences using the same lens on different bodies - that's hard to get used to.
09-22-2016, 12:09 PM   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My dad is an equipment freak. He's so funny to chat with - he gets wrapped up in it and happy. As long as he is happy I'm happy.
Mine is the same It's fine - it harms no-one and it's a valid source of enjoyment...
09-22-2016, 12:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I came to a similar conclusion last year once I had what I considered I 'needed' at that time. Yes, there are still things that I would 'like' to have, but whether I 'need' them is a different question.

Any major purchases from here will be for things that make my life easier when it comes to photography rather than because it's the latest and greatest model. I do have a few health issues to contend with that can limit some aspects of my photography hobby so things like the flip screen on the K-70 call to me because I know that will help me out in a number of ways. I'm still missing a couple of lenses for my 'ideal' Limited collection and the 18-135mm WR would sit nicely alongside my 18-55mm WR and 55-300mm WR but I can get by without them so the need vs. want balance comes into play until I win on the lottery and can just focus on the wants!
09-22-2016, 12:29 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Now it's time to shift gears, work on my ability to see meaningful images (creative vision), and then go out and make more and better photographs...
Great quote. I tend to agree with you. The only problem is that we have been conditioned to be consumers. So we are always looking for that next camera, smart phone, computer, 4K TV or whatever it may be. We all see what is going on but not too many can resisted the temptation. I thought I was done with camera purchases... and I just got the K1. So I guess I am just as "addicted" as the next person. On the positive side, at least it is a healthy addiction!!

We have plenty of power in our existing gear. We just need to get out more and put it to use.
09-22-2016, 12:34 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Great quote. I tend to agree with you. The only problem is that we have been conditioned to be consumers. So we are always looking for that next camera, smart phone, computer, 4K TV or whatever it may be. We all see what is going on but not too many can resisted the temptation. I thought I was done with camera purchases... and I just got the K1. So I guess I am just as "addicted" as the next person. On the positive side, at least it is a healthy addiction!!

We have plenty of power in our existing gear. We just need to get out more and put it to use.
I would suggest that getting the K-1 is not the same as normal upgrade cycles.
You essentially finally got the option to use your lenses as they were originally designed.