Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
09-23-2016, 04:43 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nikon Blogs Make Me Feel Like I'm In High School Again!

I currently shoot Nikon, Fuji X, and Pentax camera systems. Each has it's own purpose for me.

I'm certainly not a fanboy of any particular camera manufacturer.

On this forum (and on the Fuji forum) I can mention or even talk favorably about other manufacturers equipment without being put down.

However, on Nikon forums when I say something good about any other camera manufacturer I get flamed. The only other time I've experienced such gratuitous hatred was when I went to an NFL football game and cheered the wrong side.

Just recently on a Nikon blog I happened to say some favorable things about the K1 and K3ii's pixel shift mode. Gee, I got pounced on by a gang of their fanboy flag protectors, none of whom had any knowledge or experience with a pixel shift camera!

What the heck is it about Nikon owners in particular that make them so closed minded and protective? They can be so childish that it's almost like being in high school again.

Have you had similar experiences? Which brand do you think has the most fanatical fan base?

09-23-2016, 04:50 PM   #2
mee
Veteran Member

I mentioned Nikon here and got attacked. It happens everywhere... fanboyism. This place can be a bit more reasonable though.. I think it is the older age group here.

And, unless you were rooting for Green Bay, you were rooting for the wrong team and should have been corrected. haha (I kid)
09-23-2016, 05:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yeah, it does happen everywhere. Mention certain weaknesses of Pentax cameras here and there is a chance you may get flamed too But overall I have found this forum to be a very civilised place, certainly less confrontational than another big multi-brand photography forum I am active on.
09-23-2016, 05:21 PM   #4
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I have previously owned Nikon and Leica and have been involved in forums for both brands.

Like others I find Pentax Forum a mature and sensible place, although some fanboy behaviour does occur here also.

I think at times when the manufacturer is perceived to be weak in the marketplace the fanboy need to defend seems to increase. That might be the case for Nikon at the moment.

I would have to say Leica fans can be pretty fanatical in my observation, probable closely followed by the Sony crowd. These are of course generalisations

09-23-2016, 06:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

That's how it is with just about everything. You have the Nintendo fanbois, Sega fanbois, Honda fanbois, Subaru fanbois, Burger King fanbois, McDonald's fanbois, Raiders fanbois, Broncos fanbois. You name it, you have it.
09-23-2016, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #6
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I would have to say Leica fans can be pretty fanatical in my observation, probable closely followed by the Sony crowd. These are of course generalisations
See my blog entry: Leica vs Pentax |

I sold my Leicas years ago and am now using mostly Pentax.

Last edited by cpk; 09-23-2016 at 06:21 PM.
09-23-2016, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
That's how it is with just about everything. You have the Nintendo fanbois, Sega fanbois, Honda fanbois, Subaru fanbois, Burger King fanbois, McDonald's fanbois, Raiders fanbois, Broncos fanbois. You name it, you have it.
Yes, but Subarus are better so they're not fanbois.

09-23-2016, 06:21 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mac vs. PC anyone? :P

M
09-23-2016, 06:23 PM   #9
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
Mac vs. PC anyone?
Yeah! That's a good one. Let's change direction.
09-23-2016, 06:24 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
What the heck is it about Nikon owners in particular that make them so closed minded and protective?
I think Canon users are often as bad. The problem is not the real photographers but amateur wannabees. And I don't mean amateur as opposed to professional in the sense of earning a living, rather I mean people who go to best buy or the like and buy a camera because they saw that logo at a sports event. In other words they did no research, have no real knowledge of photography and just 'take pictures', but fiercely defend their brand choice as if the brand really meant anything concerning the final result.

I have been to seminars and outings with true 'professionals' meaning either I respect them as real photographers or they actually do make a living using a camera. And NEVER has any of those folks said a negative thing about Pentax. In general gear was much less a subject. Most of the conversations were about locations, light, lighting, technique and so on. Never about what brand we shot. If your work is good enough to run with the big dogs nobody cares what you shoot. And if all you worry about is what gear someone is using, well, most likely you are not running with the big dogs.

The reason we see less fanboy fanaticism with Pentax is that it is really hard to actually BUY a Pentax. You have to have done your research and really have some understanding of cameras and photography. So we have far less 'wannabees' than most other brands. I think that translates into more respect for the work and less concern for the logo.
09-23-2016, 07:02 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Absolutely stunning images get taken by all the " brands," and very ordinary ones too. Forget the EXIF data and appreciate the photograph IMO.
09-23-2016, 08:00 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
Mac vs. PC anyone? :P

M
We aren't allowed to talk politics here
09-23-2016, 08:13 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Just recently on a Nikon blog I happened to say some favorable things about the K1 and K3ii's pixel shift mode. Gee, I got pounced on by a gang of their fanboy flag protectors, none of whom had any knowledge or experience with a pixel shift camera!

Don't worry. I hang out with Nikon guys for occasional shooting. At first they wondered why, why???? Pentax?
Then they laughed at me when I said I have old glass LBA, and prefer Pentax. They actually had no idea that Pentax makes DSLRs
Then they saw my old helios and takumar, they stopped laughing, and asked where I get old glass from.

Then they saw my K-1, and well... I'm afraid one day I can convert them to Pentaxians.
09-23-2016, 08:14 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

+1 for Pentax Forums.
09-23-2016, 09:12 PM   #15
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
See my blog entry: Leica vs Pentax |

I sold my Leicas years ago and am now using mostly Pentax.
Interesting and informative blog post, thanks for sharing it.

Before moving to Pentax some years ago I had a Nikon D200 and a few Nikon lenses. Then I used a Leica Digilux 2 for a couple of years - lovely lens. As I looked for the next change I was looking for a smallish, preferably WR camera with a good range of lenses old and new that I could travel with.

I seriously considered 4/3, Micro 4/3 Leica M8 and M9, Ricoh GXR with Leica lenses, Fuji X-Pro1 and APS-C DSLR. I ended up with a Pentax K-5 and currently have a K-3. In the final analysis the perceived marginal gains that Leica M lenses would give me over Pentax lenses was for me not worth four times (or more) the cost.

Everyone has their own decision matrix and value proposition, but that was mine. I am still very happy with that set of decisions, and subsequent K mount lens purchases. It would be fair to say it isn't gear that is holding my photography back