Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2016, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Well, I think that "taste" is as varied as the number of people on our planet.

Just like other domains - such as food, paintings, television shows, books, and so on - taste in photographs is hard to define and popularity is hard to predict. I often wonder about certain online postings or Flickr images that attract an incredible number of 'likes'. Conversely, I also wonder why images that I find delightful are generally neglected. Who knows.

Consider this painting that caused a stir in Ottawa in the late 1980s: Voice of Fire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

$1.8 million? Taste?

- Craig

09-24-2016, 01:53 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It can work in your favour, having the finger on the public's pulse.

Here in Australia, Lauren P. Bath changed professions from chef to professional travel photographer on the basis of her crowd-pleasing Instagram pics. Sharp, saturated pics (skilfully composed) can get you a long way.
09-24-2016, 02:03 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would expect the results to be different. A tourist takes a photograph for a different reason than a professional. A professional wants to sell the result. A tourist wants to capture a memory. A professional looks at the subject to be photographed dispassionately and assesses what has to be done to maximize the image. A tourist has a much more emotional response and simply wants a memory of it.
09-24-2016, 02:27 PM   #19
mee
Pentaxian

I entered one, tiny photo contest for a town festival a few years back before I realized it was futile entering contests.

I spent a year photographing a farm scene with a pond through the 4 different seasons. Then composited the photos together into 4 equal sized, vertical strips and blended the edges of the strips together. Looked pretty nice.

I got second place.

First place? Literally a closeup photograph of a rusty, tubular hand rail (a pipe). I lost to a photo of a rusty metal pipe.

Third place was a snapshot of someone's mailbox with some wooden, cutout sunflowers iirc.

09-24-2016, 02:53 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
First place? Literally a closeup photograph of a rusty, tubular hand rail (a pipe). I lost to a photo of a rusty metal pipe.
Must be "art." I don't get art. And, I'm OK with that. That's why I don't bother with contests, either.
09-24-2016, 03:07 PM   #21
Forum Member

Taste is often an acquired sense. Most of the internet postings are probably from a younger audience who have yet to acquire a true sense of art. Although beauty in the eye of the beholder (sigh!)

Ask many of them if they prefer a Stabat Mater by Pergolesi or the most recent clap trap forced down their throats - then ask them again in 40 years or so.

Although I think I know what I like and hopefully it is tasteful - just can't get my pictures to look anything like the ones I like

That said PF should have a crap picture competition running alongside its monthly one (of which almost all of the entries are quite stunning). I might actually stand a chance of winning one of those
09-24-2016, 03:13 PM   #22
Resident fiddler
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd amend that... non-photographers often have bad photographic taste.
Which is understandable.

Non musicians often have bad musical taste, for instance.
09-24-2016, 03:16 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Experts tend to experience and appreciate different things than casual consumers. Goes for art, wine, photography, litterature and architecture.

I'd also reiterate that (without knowing your work) it's likely that high end art proffessionals would look at your work in much the same way you look at those social media snaps.
Exactly!

Who do you want to make happy, other than yourself?

I've heard a suggestion for creative inspiration that you come up with a list of six people in the world you respect - they may not even know you - and shoot as if you're pitching to them.

09-24-2016, 03:21 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by freddyisaac Quote
That said PF should have a crap picture competition running alongside its monthly one (of which almost all of the entries are quite stunning). I might actually stand a chance of winning one of those
Ha. I could give you a good run for your money.
09-24-2016, 04:20 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Someone paid $1,000,000 for a beautifully lit and brilliantly exposed photograph of a potato.

Please define highbrow taste, lowbrow taste, good taste and bad taste.
09-24-2016, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Some people ask: How can so many people actually like pictures like X?

But someone in business would ask: How can I make more pictures like X to sell to these people?

And if they can't stomach catering to mass market tastes, then they'd ask: Or, how do I find the kinds of people that buy the kinds of pictures I like to make?
09-24-2016, 05:20 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GalacticPhoto Quote
I'm not looking for advice, just curious how many others get bothered by this.

Another thing I see way too often are composite shots. Don't get me wrong, it can be an art itself but I am seeing SO many of these now and a lot by photographers without even being labeled as composite images.
One FB group I belong to specializes in Australian birds . There are some glaringly obvious composites there that get rave reviews and comments. Birds are posted to a background that is so out of scale. Colour balance is often wrong. Different lighting angles abound. Twigs magically appear only in front of the bird. Blending errors stick out. It is almost laughable.
09-24-2016, 06:08 PM - 4 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

Non-photographers often have bad taste.
Photographers often have bad taste.
=
Humans often have bad taste.
09-24-2016, 07:47 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm surprised this thread hasn't delved into canibalism... John is soooo close to humans taste bad
09-24-2016, 07:52 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Sharp, saturated pics (skilfully composed) can get you a long way.
ahh the Ken Duncan school of photography...remove the composition aspects, and what you end up with is Ken Rockwell.

For example:

---------- Post added 2016-09-25 at 01:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Humans often have bad taste.
Like stupidity, bad taste is universal.