Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2016, 05:57 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GalacticPhoto Quote
I post a waterfall photo that was shot professionally and looks nice. I get 100 likes on a FB page for waterfalls.
Somebody posts a waterfall picture with their phone and adds filters and bumps the saturation up a billion times, it looks like total crap. They get 200 likes.
It might be he/she has more followers. Another thing is the platform / community you are in. People tastes are difference in difference platform / community. See popular photos on Instagram and here on this forum, they are differences.

QuoteOriginally posted by GalacticPhoto Quote
I take a portrait photo, looks incredible.
Person asks "why is the background all blurry though???"
ha ha, and.. what about some people seriously look at your incredible portrait photo then ask you…why waste money on expensive DSLR + lens when it cannot even get the whole image in focus! I think my friend told me that joke or... wait, may be some one really asked him that!

09-25-2016, 05:59 PM   #47
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote

Good one Paul.

ROFLMAO good.
09-25-2016, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
"Good thing they cut out half of the subject so they could fit those tires in the photo!" 😀

09-25-2016, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

I wouldn't normally say my taste in high faluttin' art is better than anyone else's, except I recently acquired a membership at an art gallery, so yes, my taste is better than most people and I have the card to prove it. If someone happens to have an art gallery membership AND a museum membership, their artistic taste may be better than mine but man, they're pretty pretentious.

09-26-2016, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I wouldn't normally say my taste in high faluttin' art is better than anyone else's, except I recently acquired a membership at an art gallery, so yes, my taste is better than most people and I have the card to prove it. If someone happens to have an art gallery membership AND a museum membership, their artistic taste may be better than mine but man, they're pretty pretentious.
Come on, Brian, we know you hang out at your local coffee shop with a black pullover, cravat, beret and reading a battered paperback French novel!

09-26-2016, 03:43 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I try not to let it bother me and most of the time it doesn't. But I do cringe when I see a wide angle photo with a telephoto moon in it. Then I cringe again when I see it got 1000 likes and fawning comments. It just looks so wrong to my eyes.
09-26-2016, 05:22 PM   #52

Oh goody! Elitism! And I mean that as flatly as I possibly can.

Well, the lay public just doesn't know anything about what goes on when a photo is snapped. Bokeh is our way of isolating a subject in a way that is technically impressive ( is a 50 1.4 really that much better than a 50 1.7? ) because it is so hard to snap a photo with what one wants in focus at anything less than 5.6. Just about any lens is optimal in the f/ 8-16 range. And it shows how serious we are about our past time because extremely fast lenses are not cheap.

Oh and composition really isn't all that important unless it gets through to a lay person. It is so hard to impress another photographer but a lay person will stare dumbfounded at your best work completely unable to put into words why the least impressive photo in your portfolio completely steals the show.

I think we as photographers critiquing other photographers lose the perception that allows photography to make such a dramatic impression. Like those green eyes on the cover of the National Geographic that pop out of the brown/orange of the rest of the composition.

This is a perfect photograph in a lot of ways because it blows away a lay person and it still gets me to analyze it as a composition of color and position (when you add the National Geographic's cover text the rule of thirds works much better).

Last edited by jadedrakerider; 09-26-2016 at 10:14 PM.
09-26-2016, 05:34 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by purplemelon Quote
To me it is much like other social media...it is all about how many 'friends' you have....and I have no friends.

Actually, in real life I don't have any friends either, so I just shoot what I like.
Are we family?

09-26-2016, 10:52 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Are we family?
09-26-2016, 11:26 PM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jadedrakerider Quote
This is a perfect photograph in a lot of ways because it blows away a lay person and it still gets me to analyze it as a composition of color and position (when you add the National Geographic's cover text the rule of thirds works much better).
And it doesn't give in to the shallow depth of focus fad which is not always required.
09-27-2016, 03:30 AM - 2 Likes   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think people get used to what they see a lot of. It is not unusual for a person who is used to shooting with a point and shoot or cell phone to complain that their images look flat when they start shooting with an SLR. HDR, over saturation, sharpness turned past the point where you see artifacts -- these are the sorts of things that really seem to attract attention on the inter-webs.

I don't really think it is a sign of taste or lack there of, but more a symptom of the fact that a lot of folks are just viewing these images in a cell phone and on a tiny screen the things that will jump out at you are the ones that are turned up to 11. Frame them large and hang them in a gallery and I think more people will gravitate toward more natural colors and palette.
09-27-2016, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
But I do cringe when I see a wide angle photo with a telephoto moon in it.
and, often as not in shots taken around sunrise or sunset, the moon is lit from the wrong direction
09-27-2016, 06:46 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think people get used to what they see a lot of. It is not unusual for a person who is used to shooting with a point and shoot or cell phone to complain that their images look flat when they start shooting with an SLR. HDR, over saturation, sharpness turned past the point where you see artifacts -- these are the sorts of things that really seem to attract attention on the inter-webs.

I don't really think it is a sign of taste or lack there of, but more a symptom of the fact that a lot of folks are just viewing these images in a cell phone and on a tiny screen the things that will jump out at you are the ones that are turned up to 11. Frame them large and hang them in a gallery and I think more people will gravitate toward more natural colors and palette.
Quite so!

It can also reflect broader stylistic trends in the visual arts. Look at Impressionist or Baroque art which could be viewed as times when "good taste" demanded turning things up to 11.

Yet even if one acknowledges that different people might have different tastes and standards for color and PP of images, it's clear that non-photographers still do a bad job. It's very hard to imagine that the photographer who made "blue-women & pumpkin" really intended there to be old car tires in the picture. Thus even if one judges people on their own terms and taste, the non-photographers often fail.
09-27-2016, 06:47 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
why waste money on expensive DSLR + lens when it cannot even get the whole image in focus!
A reasonable question that deserves a reasonable answer.

Last edited by wildman; 09-27-2016 at 06:54 AM.
09-27-2016, 09:07 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I try to not let it get to me, but what occasionally does get me are shots that are super popular, and fit in at least one of the following categories:
  • macro shots of creatures with eyes out of focus - there should be at least one eye in good focus if the eyes are in the frame;
  • pseudo-macros that are really giant crops of non-macro shots - I don't mind a little cropping, but there is a limit - and;
  • shots of dead or refrigerated insects where that fact is not openly revealed.
I agree that if I did more landscape, shots that are composites and don't openly reveal that fact would bug me. (EDIT: and in fact, now that I think about it, macros with background substitution do bug me, especially when that alteration is not stated.)

So for me, a lot of it is about good technique and transparency of process.

I have to say also that I don't _quite_ understand people that say "I only take pictures for myself". I mean, if you're only taking "souvenir" shots, OK. But otherwise, what artist doesn't want their work to be seen and enjoyed? Though if what you really mean is that you won't let the desire for popularity dictate your style, then I agree completely. :-)