Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2016, 08:16 PM   #76
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mohave Valley, AZ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 214
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
But that's the problem, isn't it, populism or art?
It's a problem if you think it's a problem. I take something like Kubrick's the Shining. He used photography (or cinematography if we are so inclined to quibble) to make us uncomfortable. Kubrick does a much better job at grabbing attention than most of the stuff coming out of Hollywood nowadays. The Shining is certainly an accessible film (in that it uses it's cinematography in a way that is a bit blunt). Kubrick isn't less of an artist because his movie was a commercial success. Those green eyes stick out of the jumble of photos I've seen. That's an accomplishment.

09-30-2016, 11:41 PM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 12,632
QuoteOriginally posted by jadedrakerider Quote
It's a problem if you think it's a problem. I take something like Kubrick's the Shining. He used photography (or cinematography if we are so inclined to quibble) to make us uncomfortable. Kubrick does a much better job at grabbing attention than most of the stuff coming out of Hollywood nowadays. The Shining is certainly an accessible film (in that it uses it's cinematography in a way that is a bit blunt). Kubrick isn't less of an artist because his movie was a commercial success. Those green eyes stick out of the jumble of photos I've seen. That's an accomplishment.
But I think he's a good example of the dilemma.

My favourites of his are Barry Lyndon and Eyes Wide Shut (the cinematography is fantastic in the former - that f0.7 lens!).

Both were box office bombs. 😊

Last edited by clackers; 10-01-2016 at 12:32 AM.
10-01-2016, 12:15 AM - 1 Like   #78
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mohave Valley, AZ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 214
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
But I think he's a good example of the dilemma.

My favourites of his are ... box office bombs.
And more power to you. I'm just saying that the commercial nature and broad appeal of a piece isn't an actual basis of critique. It's certainly frustrating when artistic garbage is popular -- but being popular doesn't make something artistic garbage.

Incidentally, my other favorite Kubrick film is A Clockwork Orange. ^.^

Last edited by jadedrakerider; 10-01-2016 at 12:21 AM.
10-01-2016, 12:31 AM   #79
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 9,528
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Kitsch, by definition, has no "boundaries" (limits) to being tawdry, vulgar, garish and sentimental. That's its raison d'Ítre.
Well that is a colleagues opinion. From my experience the artists individuality (or style) will show up no matter which style or technique they attempt to mask it with.

10-01-2016, 12:39 AM   #80
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,637
Kubrick was a genius.
10-01-2016, 02:15 AM - 1 Like   #81
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 12,632
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Kubrick was a genius.
Yep, a first-class weirdo, but a genius. His films are so varied - he was no one-trick pony.

10-01-2016, 04:08 AM   #82
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Flyover America
Posts: 4,475
QuoteOriginally posted by jadedrakerider Quote
photography (or cinematography if we are so inclined to quibble)
It has always seemed to me that the term "cinematography" has a sort of schizoid meaning.

We speak of "Motion pictures" when cinematography can be and is often either motion or pictures but not, by intention both.

Take a classic BW American film like the Grapes of Wrath or On the Waterfront. You can freeze frame almost anywhere in it, print, frame and hang it on the wall and it's no more a "motion" shot than a Vermeer is.

On the other hand there are many set piece scenes in David Lean's Lawrence of Arabia where he has a clear beginning, middle and a end and if you try to break it apart it loses it's meaning.or at least it's original meaning.

But I digress and I'm getting too deep into the weeds with this....

Last edited by wildman; 10-01-2016 at 09:36 AM.
10-01-2016, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #83
Pentaxian
Site Supporter
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 32,244
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
It has always seemed to me that the term "cinematography" has a sort of schizoid meaning.

We speak of "Motion pictures" when cinematography can be and is often either motion or pictures but not, by intention both.

Take a classic BW American film like the Grapes of Wrath or On the Waterfront. You can freeze frame almost anywhere in it, print, frame and hang it on the wall and it's no more a "motion" shot than a Vermeer is.

On the other hand there are many set piece scenes in David Lean's Lawrence of Arabia where they have a clear beginning, middle and a end and if you try to break up it apart it loses it's meaning.or at least it's original meaning.

But I digress and I'm getting too deep into the weeds with this....
You're going to need a periscope soon, just to see where the beer store is.

10-01-2016, 06:30 AM   #84
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Flyover America
Posts: 4,475
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
ou're going to need a periscope soon, just to see where the beer store is.
I'm more of a gin and tonic over crushed ice with a touch of lime type.
10-01-2016, 06:51 AM   #85
Pentaxian
Site Supporter
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 32,244
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
I'm more of a gin and tonic over crushed ice with a touch of lime type.
Our beer store is actually an LCBO, Liquor Control Board of Ontario, so it has a few special beers in one little section, most of it would make you happy.
10-01-2016, 11:52 AM   #86
Pentaxian
swanlefitte's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: New Orleans
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,065
Not sure of the liqour stores here but lots of bars are LGBT owned, worked at one.
I haven't seen Empire of the Sun since it came out but I remember thinking every frame was gorgeous. I need to watch it now after learning some photography. Back then i wouldn't even notice crooked horizons in my shots but i noticed something about the cinematography in that movie i thought was better than others. This is at the heart of this threads topic.
10-01-2016, 11:57 AM   #87
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,267
A very beautifully shot (and heavily underrated) movie - "Blue Ruin" by Jeremy Saulnier. His new movie Green Room is also shot very well, but I guess gritty nature of the movie might not be for everyone.

---------- Post added 10-01-16 at 12:01 PM ----------

Revenant and Hateful Eight are both gorgeous looking films, latter being shot on 70mm film with use of very old lenses.
10-02-2016, 04:55 PM   #88
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 12,632
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I haven't seen Empire of the Sun since it came out but I remember thinking every frame was gorgeous. I need to watch it now after learning some photography. Back then i wouldn't even notice crooked horizons in my shots but i noticed something about the cinematography in that movie i thought was better than others. This is at the heart of this threads topic.

Spielberg certainly knows how to hire a good cinematographer.


Here's his current one:


Janusz Kami?ski - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
company, content, conversation, fb, flickr, ken, lot, love, movie, page, people, photo, photography, post, shot, stuff, taste, views, waterfall
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why do some pros have stickers (often with logos) on lens hoods? bwDraco Photographic Industry and Professionals 15 02-23-2016 11:06 AM
Do we have this kind of photographers redcat General Photography 32 09-01-2015 01:39 AM
The bad habits of new photographers olivemike Photographic Industry and Professionals 19 01-05-2012 08:20 AM
Why is it that celebrity photographers (often) use the Vogue font to write their name Student Photographic Technique 8 02-24-2011 02:36 PM
Bad lenses - how often do they happen? luma Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 05-21-2010 10:36 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:04 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top