Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
09-27-2016, 12:21 PM   #31

Horrifying picture. Yes, this was done with film and before that with paint and canvas, and we do it with autographs, but digital means we can do it for free any time and anywhere and share it instantly with anyone or everyone on the planet. That ramping up of scale makes a difference. There's sugar , and then there's this cocaine of narcissism.

09-27-2016, 03:02 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The single in challenge has one nominated selfie day each month..... expression is encouraged....some ignore it... some embrace it with a passion.
09-27-2016, 05:17 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Even this guy took them. Along with a few more well know snapshots.

09-29-2016, 08:49 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've been watching video of memorial service for Jose Fernandez at Marlins Park.
Almost everybody has been playing cellphone paparazzo there.

09-30-2016, 03:45 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Here is something iconic and yet hilarious. The modern world of selfies. Wow!

Astonishing pic of Hillary Clinton shows what we've become - CNET
OMG! That does look pretty bad!
10-04-2016, 02:47 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I've got mixed feelings on the whole topic. Ultimately, I think it is a bit about the ends.

LIke an earlier poster, when I take a ton of photos of my family on vacations, I worry about not being in the photos myself. I often get asked where I was at when I have taken photos and have not been in the picture.

When I travel, I do like to get a good self-portrait or two (including my wife and child) of places I've been. It adds a personal touch to a photo album or gallery of a trip. Of course, in many of those instances the photos are for myself and perhaps others in the photos. It's to preserve a shared moment.

On the other-hand, I find it annoying when I see people taking photos of themselves ever where and every place at every minute. I often see these photos as attempts to better their friends in some weird narcissistic battle over who has done more or done something first. It's all about ego as far as I can see, and that is what I think differentiates those who have a good reason for taking a self portrait vs. those who are trying to post on twitter, facebook, or instagram (or anything else that is in the now).

Finally, it has become sad that the need to be unique and better others often leads to negatives such as people destroying fragile parts of the environment because they wanted a perspective no one else can get (usually because a place is off limits) or just as tragically, those that kill themselves because they didn't pay attention to where they are going. In California, here, we've had people get killed because they took a selfie too close to the edge of a waterfall in Yosemite. I seem to recall similar accidents with geothermal spots in Yellowstone. It's silly what people will do.
10-04-2016, 03:14 PM   #37
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Recently a lot of "mobile street traders" tried to keep selling me those selfie stick things... not noticing the K1 with fast "Lady" onboard.

So until the start making at least 2 kilo capacity sticks... think again lads.

10-04-2016, 03:22 PM   #38
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
So until the start making at least 2 kilo capacity sticks... think again lads.
You could use a bricklayer's hod??
10-04-2016, 03:25 PM   #39
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
You could use a bricklayer's hod??
Actually I think there was a post from normhead a while back, where he was using his monopod for that purpose.