Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2016, 11:15 PM - 1 Like   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
Perhaps reversed hood shooters have a flare for photography.
GROAN...love it. I'm not the only one who can't resist a pun like this then.

---------- Post added Oct 8th, 2016 at 02:29 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
The idea that your own way of doing things is automatically 'correct' and that anything that differs is automatically 'wrong' is the cause of a lot of the strife in the world today
Let's focus on the point here. The manufacturer, Canon, designed something, the hood, for a specific purpose to be used in a specified manner. So that is the correct use. A person might grab their camera for an unforeseen opportunity with the hood still in the storage orientation and get adequate results, true. But, that doesn't mean they found an alternative and equivalent use for the hood. The "correct" use has a definition decided on by the designer. The caring attitude not afraid to inform someone they're missing the best use of something is hardly the cause of strife in this world, but the arrogance of never listening to sound advice is definitely a contributor.

10-08-2016, 12:02 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As someone suggested earlier, I do find a fair number of people (mostly Canon or Nikon users) do that all the time. First, I would not go to correct them since no matter how articulate you are in making them aware that improper use of lens hood could only have negative result in image quality in some situations. Perhaps most people think that lens hood is only good for protection from flare when the light is coming directly into the lens, and ignoring the fact that lens hood is good for protecting the lens from finger smudges.

Another factor I have observed over the years is that some people like to "show off" that they can take photos without proper mounting of the lens hood ("only for beginners" mentality) on a zoom lens; remarkably a high percentage of these folks don't even take good pictures...
10-09-2016, 06:17 AM   #63

Some people enjoy the creative flare that shooting without the hood can lead to.

10-09-2016, 07:47 AM   #64
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
I always lose them
I have a solution for you to help you with that... just leave them screwed on, all the time.

10-09-2016, 07:49 AM - 2 Likes   #65
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
have their shirt on backwards and not realise it
If this is in the morning... it's actually the sign of a really good night out.
10-09-2016, 09:53 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I have a solution for you to help you with that... just leave them screwed on, all the time.
Then it doesn't fit into my camera case. I need to buy a rubber one that I can push back. I took one of them off because it didn't fit into the camera case and lost that one, and then took one off in my house, so I am sure it is in the house somewhere. I lose my lens caps too.
10-09-2016, 10:17 AM   #67
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
Then it doesn't fit into my camera case. I need to buy a rubber one that I can push back
Or just get a bigger case, then you can also buy more lenses, a win win.

10-09-2016, 11:48 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Always a glass half full... lol.
10-09-2016, 11:51 AM   #69
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Always a glass half full...
But it's more often a concern as to what's in the half full glass...
10-09-2016, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #70
Veteran Member

i find it interesting that there are enough people that are honestly worried about what others are doing that a thread like this made it to 5 pages.

it literally could not matter less that some stranger you've never met is doing some harmless thing the "Wrong way", yet it makes you upset enough to come and post a thread about it?

being critical of others doesn't elevate you.
10-09-2016, 12:40 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Always a glass half full... lol.
As designers will tell you...the glass is neither half empty, nor half full. It is twice as big as it needs to be.
10-09-2016, 03:25 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Yes yes I know It is on my list. I am bag collector and I don't like any of the ones I have!
10-09-2016, 03:46 PM   #73
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
i find it interesting that there are enough people that are honestly worried about what others are doing that a thread like this made it to 5 pages.

it literally could not matter less that some stranger you've never met is doing some harmless thing the "Wrong way", yet it makes you upset enough to come and post a thread about it?

being critical of others doesn't elevate you.
You've missed the point completely.

It is not about elevating oneself but elevating the other person.
10-09-2016, 03:52 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
You've missed the point completely.

It is not about elevating oneself but elevating the other person.

you'd think so, but the general attitude as displayed in this thread is that "it's so typical of canon and nikon shooters" and then some posts of pictures taken of people doing this like "look at this idiot" sentiment.
10-09-2016, 04:13 PM   #75
Forum Member

Any tips for reducing lens flare with the hood ON? My sigma 17-50 f2.8 lens seems quite prone to it.