Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 70 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2016, 04:14 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went to Smithville yesterday morning, a neighboring town, to pick up a 'cone holder' thread doohickey for my sewing machine and to have coffee at a local bakery place on the town square. What I walked up on was a Photography Fair. Huh? Really? For $15 free classes till 3:00 pm. And little shoot sets and live models dressed in all manner of costumes. Well, I had coffee with my friends and then joined in the fun. In one class the pet model was not cooperating. Lol, really what did they expect, Blue Heeler, 15 people, stuff pointed at it, so as they were exchanging pets, this younger photographer notices that I had walked in after the class had started. But he thought I was a total newb. I didn't tell him any different, but he said, "Have you tried your speed light in here" at which I told him "No, I don't see anyone else using one and did not know if they thought lots of flash would upset the pets" at that he said maybe I was right, but they had been using ambient light which really wasn't enough and they could of opened a curtain. But during the pet exchanging he took my camera, he was quite adept at figuring out different systems it seems, and demonstrated for me how to bounce the flash off all the surfaces in the room. I must say he got amazing results. Considering how large the room was and how high the ceiling was in the old building. So even if it wasn't what I walked in there for or part of the class, young Canon dude demonstrated some techniques that I had not practiced and will now, but it was because he offered and just did it and I wasn't too 'high faluten' to listen.

---------- Post added 10-09-16 at 06:19 PM ----------

Lol, did not, absolutely did not see any reverse lens hoods at the photo fair. I did see even preteen kids running around with nice DSLRs. I heard from the used equipment seller that there was one other Pentax shooter there! Wonder who that was????

---------- Post added 10-09-16 at 06:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
you'd think so, but the general attitude as displayed in this thread is that "it's so typical of canon and nikon shooters" and then some posts of pictures taken of people doing this like "look at this idiot" sentiment.
I can say I have never seen a Pentax shooter with a reverse lens hood, of course I have never seen another Pentax shooter.....

10-09-2016, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't go up to people to tell them to put their hood on the right way, but I have experienced the flipside. People have come up to me to ask what the strange-changed thing is on the front of my lens. They honestly don't know it's purpose.
10-09-2016, 05:14 PM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
When you see someone using a lens with the hood reversed - what do you do? I want to run over and stop them and explain the proper use... but I typically just keep walking. I'm not shy - far from it. But I just think it is presumptuous of me to think they don't know - maybe they do and they just don't care.
I just wave and say hi. If we do stop and talk (not common) then I may bring up the hood, but usually not. After all, no one has appointed me the "hood police."

I really don't worry too much about what others are or are not doing photographically unless I am actually teaching them something, or they are valiantly trying to teach me something.

I am learning so much all the time that I try not to assume that I know more than someone else about photography. I am usually far too busy trying identify my own photo opportunities and deciding how to approach them and I suspect others are as well.
10-09-2016, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sean Hamilton Quote
Any tips for reducing lens flare with the hood ON? My sigma 17-50 f2.8 lens seems quite prone to it.
Every hood is a compromise. You can always make a larger one that is wider until it gets insanely large. However - even with the longest hood if the light source is in the frame you have to live with it or change to a lens with better coatings. If the problem is outside the frame you can use your hand or a notebook to block out the light that causes the flare. This is easier if the camera is on a tripod so you don't have to hold it one handed while trying to block the light.

10-09-2016, 08:51 PM - 1 Like   #80
mee
Veteran Member

Every hood is a compromise. You can always make a larger one that is wider until it gets insanely large. However - even with the longest hood if the light source is in the frame you have to live with it or change to a lens with better coatings. If the problem is outside the frame you can use your hand or a notebook to block out the light that causes the flare. This is easier if the camera is on a tripod so you don't have to hold it one handed while trying to block the light.
One option, if the light source is in the frame, is to take two shots -- one of the scene normally, and one of the scene with your thumb blocking the light source. Then layer the two shots in photoshop to mask out the flare.
10-10-2016, 02:37 AM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Several times I have seen this comment here:

"Typical of Canon and Nikon shooters"

Perhaps it was just said tongue in cheek, but...

Statistically it would have to be, there are many more Canon and Nikon owners than there are Pentax punters. If Pentax's marketing would be the same as that of Canon or Nikon, resulting in increased sales, we would see the same percentage of ignorant Pentax owners running around with reverse hoods, I am sure.

It is a matter of brand distribution.

Cheers
10-10-2016, 05:33 AM - 1 Like   #82
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Several times I have seen this comment here:

"Typical of Canon and Nikon shooters"

Perhaps it was just said tongue in cheek, but...

Statistically it would have to be, there are many more Canon and Nikon owners than there are Pentax punters. If Pentax's marketing would be the same as that of Canon or Nikon, resulting in increased sales, we would see the same percentage of ignorant Pentax owners running around with reverse hoods, I am sure.

It is a matter of brand distribution.

Cheers
It is also possible that due to the low level of marketing by Pentax (at least in the United States) that the Pentax buyer is typically more well informed by the nature of the way they came to the brand. There may be a selection bias that makes the population of Pentax users less likely to be as uninformed as the Canon and Nikon users of consumer oriented bodies.
Or it just could be what you say - a lack of opportunity to see the Pentax users in the wild.

10-10-2016, 05:51 AM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I see so many youngsters with their ball caps reversed. I really want to stop and tell them the brim goes on the front to shade their eyes from glare. But how do I know they aren't wearing their caps the way they want to wear them - maybe shading the back of their necks from sunburn? So I just mind my own business and move on.

I wear a Tilley Hat. Shades everything, but not

Last edited by monochrome; 10-10-2016 at 08:54 AM.
10-10-2016, 06:13 AM   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
i find it interesting that there are enough people that are honestly worried about what others are doing that a thread like this made it to 5 pages.

it literally could not matter less that some stranger you've never met is doing some harmless thing the "Wrong way", yet it makes you upset enough to come and post a thread about it?

being critical of others doesn't elevate you.
Isn't your reply being critical of others? And there's nothing wrong with that - the forum is just being be used to express opinions.

It is always quite comforting and encouraging to me whenever I see or read about someone being just as daft as I can be.

Cheers.
Philip
10-10-2016, 10:40 AM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I see so many youngsters with their ball caps reversed...

When I'm king no one over forty will be allowed to wear a backwards baseball cap.

Chris
10-10-2016, 11:00 AM   #86
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
When I'm king no one over forty will be allowed to wear a backwards baseball cap.
10-10-2016, 11:01 AM   #87
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I see so many youngsters with their ball caps reversed. I really want to stop and tell them the brim goes on the front to shade their eyes from glare. But how do I know they aren't wearing their caps the way they want to wear them - maybe shading the back of their necks from sunburn? So I just mind my own business and move on.

I wear a Tilley Hat. Shades everything, but not
I sometimes wear a ballcap when out on walks. When I stop to take a photo, I reverse the cap so that it doesn't interfere with the camera.
10-10-2016, 12:16 PM   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I sometimes wear a ballcap when out on walks. When I stop to take a photo, I reverse the cap so that it doesn't interfere with the camera.
I do that now too, I used to never wear a hat or cap but now I do since I am having to combine being naturally 'pastey' with getting older I cannot handle the sun. Lol, eye Dr. Told me I was very fair, aka pastey, jokingly said I was born in the wrong country and Texas was harsh for me and maybe I should be in Denmark. Ha ha (That was because I was complaining about how my eyes were not handling bright sun)
10-10-2016, 12:20 PM   #89
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My eyes are very sensitive to the light, plus 2 major surgeries for Squamous Cell Carcinoma makes me very aware of sun damage. But to get back to the ballcap worn backwards; if I didn't reverse it, the bill hits the camera when taking photos. Plus I don't really care if someone doesn't like how I look; the wildlife has never complained!
10-10-2016, 04:21 PM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is also possible that due to the low level of marketing by Pentax (at least in the United States) that the Pentax buyer is typically more well informed by the nature of the way they came to the brand.
Hi Uncle

Precisely, you are seeing it correctly. People who buy Pentax are probably better informed technically, know what they want and are less likely blinded by marketing telling them what is good for them. People who buy Pentax gear are usually individuals who don't suffer of a herd mentality.

Cheers