Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2016, 01:47 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reversed Hood shooters - what should you say to them?

When you see someone using a lens with the hood reversed - what do you do? I want to run over and stop them and explain the proper use... but I typically just keep walking. I'm not shy - far from it. But I just think it is presumptuous of me to think they don't know - maybe they do and they just don't care.

10-06-2016, 01:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I let them do it because I am shy...
But it is one of my pet peeves too. And in a lot of cases it makes zooming more awkward. It is like, dude, it would be a lot more comfortable, you would get better pics AND added protection if you turned that hood around.
10-06-2016, 01:52 PM - 10 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Same thing when you see one of those backwards hat guys holding his hand above his eyes to shade the sun.
10-06-2016, 01:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Same thing when you see one of those backwards hat guys holding his hand above his eyes to shade the sun.
LOL....I'm with you on that. I will turn my cap around if it interferes with my shooting but that's the only time.

10-06-2016, 01:59 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I take pictures of them and post on photography forums for public ridicule...

10-06-2016, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
I take pictures of them and post on photography forums for public ridicule...
+1, Aye you beat me to it, it's exactly what I do from time to time...

10-06-2016, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Point at them and laugh, but never say why.

10-06-2016, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They are most likely Canon or Nikon shooters, so I leave them alone. Let them suffer...............

Phil.
10-06-2016, 02:23 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
When you see someone using a lens with the hood reversed - what do you do?
Nothing... Honestly, I'm just glad they bought a DSLR. It's a big step up from a smartphone + Instagram... maybe one day they'll really get into it and join us on here
10-06-2016, 02:24 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Walk over to them with your hood mounted properly, strike up a conversation, somehow weave hood usage into the dialogue. Take a picture where they are bound to notice your camera. Subtle, but let's them save face if they really don't know the right way to mount (how could you not?).
10-06-2016, 02:31 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

I only offer one type of unsolicited photography advice: safety. If someone points a telephoto near the sun I warn them about retina/sensor damage. If a tripod leg lock isn't set I'll point it out before the camera falls. Etc.

I only counsel about lens hoods if someone is looking for help. Flare doesn't hurt people or break equipment.
10-06-2016, 02:31 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
If I know the person, I'll tell them how and why.

If I don't know them, I'll tell them they can get less flare if they just use their free hand to shade the lens.
10-06-2016, 02:32 PM - 6 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

I don't see anything wrong with it. You guys are making a really big deal out of nothing. I often shoot with the hood reversed if I am intentionally trying to get lens flare and don't want to stuff a huge hood in my pockets or awkwardly hold it. It doesn't interfere with a AF prime lens. And its already compact and ready to go back in my case. Please don't judge people based on how they choose to shoot, it doesn't make you better than them.
10-06-2016, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #14

Photos: Albums
I take pictures both ways. Properly with the hood providing the lens with the shade as it's designed for. But occasionally I'll see other DSLR camera owners nearby and I have the imp in me reverse the hood and shoot a number of photo's while they are looking on with obvious disdain.

I then orient the hood correctly after they leave. Cannot explain why I do it, other than my impish nature

That said, I also leave the hood reversed when it's really more of the speed necessary to capture a shot. Do I mess with a lens cap, hood and whatnot while setting up the shot that could be fleeting? Or do I quickly capture what might be a never again possible shot?
10-06-2016, 02:50 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

I don't say a word because I've never seen the photos they've taken. It's entirely possible that they've got far more innate talent than me, but just don't care about the technicalities much. The most talented photographer I know doesn't have a clue what a lens hood is for, but her photos are orders of magnitude better than mine.