Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2016, 01:41 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Saw on the news that Matthew has been 'downgraded' to Cat 3, but please, any beloved Forum members, listen to your authorities and not Vanilla Ice! :-(

10-07-2016, 08:04 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
This question has become very relevant to me in the past 24 hours...

So if you had to go and could only take two small bags of gear with you, what would you take?
Hope things are going to be okay and safe for you and yours, loved ones, gear, and the home. Sounds like you have the good items covered. Definitely the photos, as they can't be replaced. I won't ask what is in the strong case left behind. As for what I'd take....I don't know; depends on how much time I have to pack. A few years ago when we left it was with just enough clothes but the rest of the time it was to secure the house - roll up rugs and put outdoor furniture in the garage or throw it into the pool. As far as photo stuff goes, I'd probably only take the photos and try to make some good backups prior to evacuation.
10-07-2016, 08:19 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The old logic used to say take the negatives/trannies - irreplaceable - and leave the cameras (replaceable) - now, with digital storage, I reckon we can manage to carry both (unless victim of chronic LBA) - and maybe a bottle of water and a few energy bars
10-07-2016, 09:16 AM   #19
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After a couple of mandatory evacuations; I now have a duffle bag packed with items that are important to me; along with some clothing, personal hygiene items. All my important papers are in a safety deposit box at my bank. I have a list, that includes my prescriptions, my dog's prescriptions. Water, dog food are on the list.

On my way out the door, I grab my purse, with all my ID, checkbook, etc.

I would also grab my backpack with my K3, lenses.

But most important; myself & my dog; the rest is just "stuff", that's covered by insurance & can be replaced.

10-07-2016, 09:41 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With mega-gigabyte SD cards, thumb drives and external SSD drives so economical today I'd have to fault myself if I lost files. Now all I have to do is remember to back stuff up on a regular basis - and even that can be automated.
10-07-2016, 11:15 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
We're actually really lucky in the "important stuff" category. The car's big enough to hold the three of us and the dogs, and we have relatives about three hours from the coast.

This has been our first evacuation, and it's been surreal. And I have fingers crossed for the neighbors (the ones I know and the ones I don't) who stayed behind.

But it does make for an interesting evaluation of what's important. That a Retina with a smoky finder and a K1000 made it into the car when so much else didn't gives me an idea how much nostalgia I have tied up in this hobby...

-Eric
10-07-2016, 12:40 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Saw on the news that Matthew has been 'downgraded' to Cat 3, but please, any beloved Forum members, listen to your authorities and not Vanilla Ice! :-(
Just a few minutes ago, the news said that Georgia has not been hit by a Category 3 hurricane since 1898! And not by a Category 2 since 1979.
Get off the coast for sure. Storm surge is nothing to take lightly.

Oh, for me, there are a couple bags I'd grab. No K-1 yet, sadly. K-5iis, K-30, K200D, 15mm, 31mm, 43mm, 77mm, 100mm, 12-24mm, 60-250mm. I think my hands are full, but if I can, the Sigma 8-16 might capture some great "inside the eye" images.

10-07-2016, 01:12 PM   #23
Pentaxian

It really depends on how long, how far, and when I can plan on returning. Minimum is my truck, my camper, cell phone, portable radio and as much water as I can reasonably get on board. Important documents (passports, etc.), money, maps, prescriptions in their original bottles, food that doesn't spoil easily first aid supplies, hand tools and some extra fuel. Personal hygiene such as toilet paper, plastic bags, hand sanitizer, hand towels and soap. More water. I also carry a backpack, tent, ground sheet, sleeping bag, dehydrated rations, portable stove with fuel, basic hiking equipment in case the truck breaks and I am unable to get it repaired quickly. I carry the wheel chair for my wife who cannot walk long distances. Wear tough, warm clothes that can be used in layers and good (very good) boots and socks.

The single most necessary items are those needed for basic survival such as shelter, warmth, water and very simple food that does not quickly spoil. Rescue items like mirror, whistle, and cell phone are also small and easy to carry. I pack a small 410 shotgun and a small 22 or 22 magnum revolver, mostly for personal defense, but you may not be comfortable with this.

For me a camera is way down the list but I do have a K1000 along with a box with a 100 rolls of C41 black and white film I can throw in the truck with me. But, if I had to start walking it may get left behind.

You know where you are going and there will likely be no troubles. However, I have learned that it is always best to prepare as best you can for things that you do not expect to happen. If you had to shelter in or around your car for a day or two think of the things that you would need to stay comfortable in rain, wind and some flooding. You read about people all the time who were trapped away from home unexpectedly who didn't even have some basic essentials to take care of themselves for even a day or two.
10-08-2016, 04:22 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
The old logic used to say take the negatives/trannies - irreplaceable - and leave the cameras (replaceable)
That's advice I should have heeded. When we evacuated ahead of Sandy I loaded all my camera gear in my minivan first.
Unfortunately a lifetime of family photos and 40 years of my negatives were still on the floor of our place when it flooded.

Chris
10-18-2016, 04:25 PM   #25
Pentaxian

The only disaster scenario that might result in me having to evacuate would be a dam failure. In that case, there wouldn't be much time. Put your pants on and get to higher ground! My house is right on the border line of where the water would reach in the worse case scenario. In May 2011 during the spring run off, water was running over the tops of a few dams in the area. The one of most concern was the Conklingville Dam which holds the Great Sacandaga Lake. There was fear that the dam was failing at one point. They evacuated the next street over but not mine.

There's a "Rest of the story " P.S. to this. A water level gauge at the dam showed that the lake level had dropped a foot in an hours time. In fear, they opened the gates on all the dams downstream on the Hudson River which caused flooding all along the river to Albany and south. It turned out that a worker had misread the gauge, a very expensive mistake.

At the time when the threat level was high, we had moved some stuff to my daughters house just in case. I had my backup hard drives packed, the important papers, a suitcase of clothes, and of course, my camera and lenses.
10-20-2016, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #26
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
What do you take when you evacuate?
Guess I'd best say Lady Kerrowdown... or else I'm in the serious mucky stuff.
10-20-2016, 12:39 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Guess I'd best say Lady Kerrowdown... or else I'm in the serious mucky stuff.
But if there was room only for either her or your A 135mm f1.8, who gets the gig?

10-20-2016, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #28
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
But if there was room only for either her or your A 135mm f1.8, who gets the gig?
You trying to get me hung? fancy asking me that in public...
10-21-2016, 01:17 AM   #29
Pentaxian

The wife and the dog(not necessarily in that order!)
10-21-2016, 03:23 PM   #30
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
(not necessarily in that order!)
Either very brave, or foolish, or a mixture of both if one of them reads that...