Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2016, 07:02 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Bear Mountain can be good. Only do that on a weekday because it fills with cars and tour buses on weekends.

On the east side of the Bear Mountain Bridge is a hiking trail to "Anthony's Nose". It's a short but very steep hike with many stairs, not recommended for those with bad knees. The panoramic view from the top is great. You can see the bridge below, long swath of Hudson River, and several mountains.

Central Park is good for an urban setting.

The OP said his friends already have a place in mind.

10-12-2016, 06:06 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
We are going to Norvin Green State Forest.
Hm... now I'm thinking about mobility vs IQ. To go on the top with small Canon and 18-55 with 55-250mm will be much lighter than with K-1 with DA 300 and DA 15mm.

Last edited by micromacro; 10-12-2016 at 06:11 AM.
10-12-2016, 07:08 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Yes, I put it in favorites, thank you.
I also added one more day, 26-30, because I want to take Helios 44k-4 for portraits in the forest for at least half a day.

Anyway, I don't think I will be disappointed with any foliage really, I miss seasons.
I have not asked my friends at what park they going to bring me, but they promised amazing views. With all that information about parks I want to explore more tomorrow.
This time I'm not traveling light, will bring K-1, DA*300mm with TC for animals and birds, 77mm ltd and Helios for portraits, 15mm ltd for Manhattan, and thinking about 35mm macro ltd for Metropolitan (love that lens for museums). Seems too much, but every lens will serve its purpose. That's the price for being addicted to primes.
Heh, I have the helios 44k-4 too, love it good luck with the shoot!
10-17-2016, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

The foliage has hit it's peak in the southern Adirondacks around the Saratoga - Lake George area. Here's a phone snapshot looking up my street from earlier today. I would say that the Hudson Valley should look very good by this weekend.

10-17-2016, 08:09 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
The foliage has hit it's peak in the southern Adirondacks around the Saratoga - Lake George area. Here's a phone snapshot looking up my street from earlier today. I would say that the Hudson Valley should look very good by this weekend.
Yep, I'm a bit late this year.
It's ok there are still plenty of subjects to shoot.
10-18-2016, 06:37 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Yep, I'm a bit late this year.
It's ok there are still plenty of subjects to shoot.
For lower NY state, I think you will be fine this year around the end of the month as long as there aren't any big storms with a lot of wind. Up here, we are peaking about 2 weeks later than normal.
10-18-2016, 08:40 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Friends told me that if needed, we will drive south.

10-18-2016, 07:12 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Yesterday at Port Henry cemetery (has the best foliage color in the area)

10-18-2016, 08:04 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Yesterday at Port Henry cemetery (has the best foliage color in the area)
Aaaaa, so beautiful!
11-02-2016, 08:34 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I got some nice pictures, the foliage was not amazing due to strong wind right before I arrived there. I even preferred that way- to walk on fallen leaves. I got lots of pictures, but not many of them are keepers. Hiking format with non-photographers is not the best for slow photography, the result is more like a tourist album, not what I hoped.
But I really enjoyed being there.

And i saw exotic wildlife there:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
11-06-2016, 07:09 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Nice shot of the whitetail!

The foliage season was certainly underwhelming this year, due mostly to the dry and warmer weather. Being the only photographer while hiking with a group is tough. You see things that catch your eye that everybody else misses. The artists curse! Hikers far too often are focused on getting from point A to point B and the trail is nothing more than a wilderness interstate highway. For that reason, I have mostly hiked alone. Some of the people I do hike with aren't concerned with keeping the "group" together and we often spread out.