Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-11-2016, 02:42 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Why 4K video is a must have ?

Hi there,

I am purely a photographer not a videographer, at least not an advanced one in this area and I don't get it, why most newly released DSLR must come with 4K video capacity, people will complain if it does not come with that and treated as a 'Con'. In fact almost all DSLR/Mirrorless comes with video capacity for casual use, some does come with 4K such as the Lumix, Canon, Sony...etc., but how many people will use it ? to me 4K is overkill, and the added capacity reflected on the price tag. Furture more, to make a DSLR/Mirrorless handles more like a real videocam some attachment must be added, so the final cost would be higher than a real videocam. On the other hand, full featured videcam like the Canon XC10 can handle stills prefectly, and it works more like a real videocam, I will go for that if I were seriously into videography.

10-11-2016, 03:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't know why either. But for the Magzines it is important to play Quartets - the cards game - and to tell this one is bigger.
I would prefer to have a camera optimized for photos and only for that, if there is a possibilty to make a video ok but really not important.

And it would be nice if there where video cameras with a bajonet of my prefered vendor (Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony), and these are optimised for video and only for video.
There is no need for a 50 Mpix sensor downgraded to 4K it would be much better to have an excellent 4 K-Sensor (8 Mpix) with high Iso an absolut silent continuos autofocus.

10-11-2016, 03:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The comparison with dedicated video cameras often come up, with people being told 'go and get a video camera for video'. The reality is though, that DSLRs can provide a great quality and value advantage over even pro-grade video cameras, so long as the recording formats and codecs are good. The really benefit that people love is the great flexability with lens options on a DSLR system ....the bang per buck you can get, epecially with extreme focal lengths, and DOF effects, is really a big thing for DSLR video users, and has opened up very high quality video output for far less money than a fully fledged pro video rig.
10-11-2016, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I have an LX100 with 4K video and whilst I have no need for native 4K video (I don't even have a 4K TV to play it back on) it provides a couple of other benefits:
  • 4K video downscaled to Full HD (1920x1080) looks better than native Full HD
  • 4K photo mode lets me shoot 4K at 24fps and grab an individual 8mp frame

The 4K photo mode in particular I would make use of if my DSLR had it too.

10-11-2016, 04:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My life is so 720p at best... and more then 25fps....forget it! Sometimes nothing moves in my vacinity for hours at a time.
10-11-2016, 05:25 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Because it sells TVs and monitors, for one. Good for the economy!
Its one real advantage is that each frame is an 8Mpx image that can be extracted and processed as a still. That's enough for a decent enlargement, so it's a 30fps 'burst mode' at that lower resolution. I don't use burst mode hardly at all, so that doesn't sell me on it, but I can imagine doing an occasional extract from video. Not often though.
10-11-2016, 09:08 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I don't think it's a must-have (otherwise Pentax would be in trouble) but considering that just about every camera these days can capture full HD, 4K is the next step, especially in expensive cameras.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-11-2016, 09:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Its one real advantage is that each frame is an 8Mpx image that can be extracted and processed as a still. That's enough for a decent enlargement, so it's a 30fps 'burst mode' at that lower resolution
That is the only advantage of the 4 K-mode for a pure photographer. Sometimes it would be nice to be shure to get the moment even with 8 Mpix. But this is really not a must have for me.
10-11-2016, 10:33 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think it is just like continuous fast shooting of more than 100 frames at 10 f/s. Only very few users need that but camera makers make it a big selling point and eventually a good camera without such ability will be considered as low end product and won't sell well.
Same is true for pixel counts. How many of us need 50 mp, or even 100mp? I am happy with 16mp on APS and 24mm on FF, but cameras with such sensors won't sell well and now higher pixel is almost a must for high end camera.
Any way, "4K" is a very simple label that you can put on a camera to state it is a good professional camera. How do you describe the strength of K1 in 2 characters?
10-11-2016, 10:55 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
To me cell phone is good enough for casual video shoot, I hope Pentax will focus more on what it lags behind the rest, AF speed and accuracy, so to keep the price reasonably affordable.
10-11-2016, 11:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
4K video is a must have
Is it?
10-11-2016, 12:03 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
To me is not, I dun want to spend the extra for something I never use.
10-11-2016, 12:24 PM   #13
Pentaxian

A must have? Not for me. I've never used video mode... not on K7, not on K3 and I'm not going to use it on K1.

Any serious reason why should I record video with photo-camera instead video-camera?
Ricoh, please, remove this function completely and compensate it by price reduction. Thanks :-)
10-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Any serious reason why should I record video with photo-camera instead video-camera?
How about 2 reasons...price and look? The Canon 5D we bought was about $1500-2000 cheaper than our small non-interchangeable lens video camera. The Canon doesn't do audio as well, but that's offset by the look it can achieve and the ability to use a ton of lenses with it.

QuoteQuote:
Ricoh, please, remove this function completely and compensate it by price reduction. Thanks :-)
And while they're at it, they can remove about 10-12 of the "modes". Those are things I'll never use.

The deal is, 4K video is coming and is expected on all top-of-the-line cameras these days. To leave it off or to stick with regular HD would limit the life span of the K-1, IMHO.
10-11-2016, 01:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
My life is so 720p at best... and more then 25fps....forget it! Sometimes nothing moves in my vacinity for hours at a time.
Mine, too.