Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2016, 11:29 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That Dog gone Hot Shoe Cover

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Well, I am not onto hot shoe cover number 5 or is it 6?..... Every time I take it off and put the flash on for anything length of time the cover goes missing.

Honestly, over the course of my 2 Pentax camera's I have spent more on these covers than some of my first lenses. Why are they so expensive?

ACK, then of course i think i don't really need it but, if I don't have it and I go outside I worry that there might be some sort of moisture or other issue. So I go buy a new one.

Honestly does anyone else have this issue or is it me? And why do we need such a small (and in my case) often lost part? OK Breath in annnnnndddd out. Ok ok I am good now. rant over.

Thanks for sharing this brief moment of frustration, now I need to find another hot shoe cover.

10-14-2016, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keyword...e+spirit+level
10-14-2016, 12:29 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Too bad no one markets a flash unit that has a "port" to store the cover. That would make the most sense. It also probably wouldn't require rocket science to make a sliding hot shoe cover that retracts forward out of the way but remains with and in the camera.
10-14-2016, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Idea, on the top of the hot shoe cover, place a bit of Vecro. On the camera or flash, the other part of the velcro. Simply take it off, secure it to the velcro, DONE!

Or, attach a Cap Keeper to it and to the camera somewhere.

They are SO easy to loose! The one on my K-7 is gone, I have not replaced it and it is still going strong! I am being more careful with my K-1!

10-14-2016, 12:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a product called CAP keeper you can buy them for about 6 bucks for 6 of them on eBay or Amazon, or one for $3 at London Drugs. It has a cord on it so you can either have it on your wrist or just tie it into your camera strap.
10-14-2016, 01:08 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Or, attach a Cap Keeper to it and to the camera somewhere.
This is a fantastic idea. I'm doing this now. +1 to your like.
10-14-2016, 01:59 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ditto for the lens hood opening that allows you to turn your polarizer -- why doesn't that slide instead of having to remove it (and lose it). Ditto for the PC sync connector cap. If you take it off you can pretty much guarantee it will get lost.

M

P.S. I noticed that the new IRIX lenses have lens hoods with sliding openings. Pentax could learn a thing from them.

10-14-2016, 02:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nikon, with their F3HP FSLR, had their proprietary hot shoe around the rewind knob and a rotating, non-removable, cover. Love that camera, but hated that non-standard flash mount. On the up side, I never lost a hot shoe cover with the F3HP.
10-14-2016, 02:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
$1 from Chinese guys - Hot Shoe Cover cap for Nikon Fuji Canon Pentax Olympus Camera DSLR | eBay
10-14-2016, 03:20 PM   #10
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by W.j.christy Quote
Well, I am not onto hot shoe cover number 5 or is it 6?..... Every time I take it off and put the flash on for anything length of time the cover goes missing.

Honestly, over the course of my 2 Pentax camera's I have spent more on these covers than some of my first lenses. Why are they so expensive?

ACK, then of course i think i don't really need it but, if I don't have it and I go outside I worry that there might be some sort of moisture or other issue. So I go buy a new one.

Honestly does anyone else have this issue or is it me? And why do we need such a small (and in my case) often lost part? OK Breath in annnnnndddd out. Ok ok I am good now. rant over.

Thanks for sharing this brief moment of frustration, now I need to find another hot shoe cover.
You don't need it. 9 years, nine bodies, 3 continents, 600k plus shutter clicks, never an issue with a wet hotshoe. And I use them. You're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. No worries. Or if you just can't face a naked hotshoe, a roll of gaffers tape will last you forever!
10-14-2016, 03:55 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One of the cameras (MZ-S?) came with a strap that has little pockets. I buy these on eBay whenever I see them. When I get a new camera I attach one of these straps, remove all the little plastic bits and keep them in the pockets.

They might as well be lost that way, but at least they aren't.*

* In a huff I once added 5 of them to an order from B&H. I still have them, with the B&H rubber band around the 5 little green Pentax zip-close bags.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-14-2016 at 09:47 PM.
10-14-2016, 04:29 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
You don't need it. 9 years, nine bodies, 3 continents, 600k plus shutter clicks, never an issue with a wet hotshoe.
This! Get another hot shoe cover, stash it away somewhere so you'll have one whenever you might want to sell your current camera body, then forget it. If you use your camera in wet conditions, it might be an issue, but for 99% of normal shooting, that hot shoe cover is not really needed.
10-14-2016, 05:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I keep a small, zip up, nylon accessory pouch in my camera bag. It holds a flash stand, body cap, rear lens cap and the hot shoe cover when I remove it to put a flash on. When mounting a Cactus V6 radio transceiver to the hot shoe - I will put the hot shoe cover on the hot shoe at the top of the V6. Either way it's always in a secure place. Keeping a simple process has prevented me from losing a hot shoe cover.
10-14-2016, 08:04 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
Keeping a simple process has prevented me from losing a hot shoe cover
You guys do know that camera bags have little pockets and pouches in them eh. They have been designed to be just about perfect for lens caps and all the other bits of plastic that cover sockets and openings on a camera body. As just stated above, repeated conscious decisions become habits and then automatic. At the end of a function I wonder where all the bits are and hello there they all are in the pocket that I have trained myself to automatically put them in.
10-15-2016, 05:49 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ahh haaaa I found it!!!! Thanks for all the replies! I may just hid it someplace safe for now and put it back on if I ever sell the body....