Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2016, 11:02 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wildlife photo workshops

Hi all,
currently looking to enroll a wildlife photo workshop / excursion. I can see a variety of locations and a lot of those workshops are very expensive, and there are also a number of more affordable ones.
But not having any experience with it, I don't know what to expect and what's actually included for a price to be good value for money. Anyone having done some expeditions and workshops could share some hints about the kind of expedition and workshops and what to expect for a given price range? I'm afraid to pay a big price and be disappointed by the contents. Also, those workshops should be booked in advance and we don't know what the weather is going to be like on the days on the workshop, and bad weather (rainy or so) can ruin the experience.

10-15-2016, 04:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Try one with Adam Jones from Louisville, ky.
10-15-2016, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Hi all,
currently looking to enroll a wildlife photo workshop / excursion. I can see a variety of locations and a lot of those workshops are very expensive, and there are also a number of more affordable ones.
But not having any experience with it, I don't know what to expect and what's actually included for a price to be good value for money. Anyone having done some expeditions and workshops could share some hints about the kind of expedition and workshops and what to expect for a given price range? I'm afraid to pay a big price and be disappointed by the contents. Also, those workshops should be booked in advance and we don't know what the weather is going to be like on the days on the workshop, and bad weather (rainy or so) can ruin the experience.
Sadly, no one can predict perfect weather for these workshops. However, I'll bet that the leaders of these workshops no doubt know the weather & try to pick a time when it "should" be most favorable. If you go on one, be prepared & take raingear for you & your equipment, so that you can keep shooting.

If it was me, I'd contact those I'm interested in, and ask for more information as to what is included. No doubt every workshop is a little different as far as content.
10-15-2016, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Wildlife photo workshops
Aye but just think of the brownie points... if inclement conditions prevail, you can show the way, over other well known brands.

10-17-2016, 04:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you checked out your local Audubon and similar nature organizations?
Here some nationally published nature and wildlife photographers are active members of local chapters.
They meet regularly for outings to local "hot spots", and their national organizations offer trips to destinations worldwide.
Though usually not specifically photo workshops, chances are you will get a chance to learn from some excellent photographers.

Chris
10-18-2016, 01:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
If you go on one, be prepared & take raingear for you & your equipment, so that you can keep shooting. If it was me, I'd contact those I'm interested in, and ask for more information as to what is included. No doubt every workshop is a little different as far as content.
Yes thanks for the hint; I have to plan equipment for the worst case weather. I'll ask further information and try one workshop to make my mind.

---------- Post added 18-10-16 at 22:51 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Have you checked out your local Audubon and similar nature organizations?
I've visited their website for the USA. It looks like an excellent organisation , unfortunately not covering europe, but... I may find similar organizations covering europe.

---------- Post added 18-10-16 at 22:52 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bscott Quote
Try one with Adam Jones from Louisville, ky.
Thanks for the hint, I'm checking his website, for reference.

---------- Post added 18-10-16 at 22:55 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
if inclement conditions prevail, you can show the way, over other well known brands.
I guess it's part of the experience as well. Then I can still get some contacts and come back to the same place later.