Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-26-2016, 06:35 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
Huge compared to what?
Huge compared to his dad's old camera, a tiny SD 780IS.

I had a similar problem about 5 years ago when my Mom needed a new camera to replace a random dead kodak branded P&S. Small, with viewfinder, easy to use, and my own requirement of not being utter garbage (e.g. a hello kitty camera, or most anything sold in a blister pack at Walmart). Pickings were slim even then (the viewfinder requirement is a toughie, my price range was also lower), but I settled on a Powershot 1100 which she gets on well with. If I had to replace it today, I'd look for a used Powershot 1400 (the most recent model since this line was discontinued). There's no way she'd carry around anything much larger than she was used to, or want to learn how to use anything significantly different.

The moral is to consider the end use (in my mom's case photos of her grandkids for her enjoyment, not for magazine publication), and what features, size, ease of use qualities will make your parent the happiest, not their photographer offspring.

10-26-2016, 06:59 PM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm tired of people bashing on my next intended upgrade..... Hello Kitty Camera��
10-27-2016, 06:24 AM   #33

Yes, bridge cameras are huge compared to a compact camera. The alternative for a viewfinder are the compact cameras with peephole viewfinders. I don't find these very useful because of parallex issues but they are adequate for group shots and candid portraits and may be sufficient for the OPs Dad.

Target sells bridge cameras as well as many compact cameras. The OP should take his Dad so he can handle them.
10-28-2016, 04:08 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Anyway, I appreciate the inputs from everyone. Definitely got some different ideas to consider. It might be difficult to get Dad to offer constructive feedback on what he wants (i.e. eh... just get the cheap one!). But we'll come up with something reasonable.

10-28-2016, 12:47 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
I'm tired of people bashing on my next intended upgrade..... Hello Kitty Camera��
You could try this similar alternative which no one would ever bash.

---------- Post added 10-28-16 at 04:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The alternative for a viewfinder are the compact cameras with peephole viewfinders. I don't find these very useful because of parallex issues but they are adequate for group shots and candid portraits and may be sufficient for the OPs Dad.
Welcome to the future! They use electronic viewfinders now. They work very nicely. No parallex. Just a tiny little liveview stuck inside a hole.
10-30-2016, 05:24 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
You could try this similar alternative which no one would ever bash.
See what you have done. I thought my research and spec comparisons were over. Now I see I have more work to do!!!
10-30-2016, 08:06 AM - 4 Likes   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well son, I just stumbled upon this thread and since you are hell bent on getting me a better camera, B&H Photo has a Pentax 645z setup that is only $15,000 or so. That would be a nice stater setup for me. And don't forget a good tripod too. I'm not a steady as I used to be. Sure is nice that you think so much of your old pappy. Looks like I raised a good one. Brings tears to my old eyes.

Being a dad of adult children I know that I am tough to buy presents for. I pretty much have all the material possessions I need and have a perspective of life that is light years away from what it was 45 years ago. As a dad I spent most of my adult life picking up the tab. No complaints. it was what my status in life required. And it was only money. Hard to be on the receiving end now.

11-02-2016, 06:36 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So I did talk to my actual Dad on Sunday and basically told him we're getting him a camera for Christmas. He did somewhat refine his requirements:

- No interchangeable lenses
- Viewfinder still necessary
- Big zoom not necessarily a requirement
- Small
- "I'm not looking to become a photographer"

For now it's down to the two Panasonics - LX100 or ZS100.

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Well son, I just stumbled upon this thread and since you are hell bent on getting me a better camera, B&H Photo has a Pentax 645z setup that is only $15,000 or so. That would be a nice stater setup for me. And don't forget a good tripod too. I'm not a steady as I used to be. Sure is nice that you think so much of your old pappy. Looks like I raised a good one. Brings tears to my old eyes.

Being a dad of adult children I know that I am tough to buy presents for. I pretty much have all the material possessions I need and have a perspective of life that is light years away from what it was 45 years ago. As a dad I spent most of my adult life picking up the tab. No complaints. it was what my status in life required. And it was only money. Hard to be on the receiving end now.
Oh... All right. That's a small step up from the ZS100, but whatever you want.

Last edited by ThorSanchez; 11-02-2016 at 02:49 PM.
11-02-2016, 07:36 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
So I did talk to my actual Dad on Sunday and basically told him we're getting him a camera for Christmas. He did somewhat refine his requirements:

- No interchangeable lenses
- Viewfinder still necessary
- Big zoom not necessarily a requirement
- Small
- "I'm not looking to become a photographer"

For now it's down to the two Panasonics - LX100 or ZS100.
I'm seeing rumors of an LX15/150/200 (name is unclear) successor to the lx100 that was anticipated in Sept of this year. It is expected to be announced nov/dec now.

One limitation of the lx100 is the lack of a built in flash. It also is a slightly larger compact that might fail to fit in a pants pocket.
11-02-2016, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm seeing rumors of an LX15/150/200 (name is unclear) successor to the lx100 that was anticipated in Sept of this year. It is expected to be announced nov/dec now.

One limitation of the lx100 is the lack of a built in flash. It also is a slightly larger compact that might fail to fit in a pants pocket.
Obvious solution: Bigger pants.
11-02-2016, 10:33 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Obvious solution: Bigger pants.
Lol. You made me laugh.
11-02-2016, 02:49 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote

Those are two reasons I'm considering the zs100. Smaller sensor, but smaller camera and a flash.
11-03-2016, 07:07 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Panasonic Lumix ZS100 (TZ100, TZ110) review - CNET

Cnet likes the ZS100 - it's useful to look at that kind of user-style review too. Not cheap, but it looks quite capable and compact once that lens is retracted.
12-01-2016, 12:59 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I finally ended up ordering the Lumix ZS60. I thought long and hard about the ZS100, then almost decided on the DMC-GM5. But my sister kind of pulled back the reins and got me to focus on what Dad's priorities are, and I think the ZS60 is a reasonable compromise. I wouldn't be happy with it, I don't think. But it's not for me. So, hopefully it'll work out and he'll be happy with it.
12-05-2016, 06:04 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The ZS60 arrived. I made the mistake of doing some sample photos with indoor available light, ended up as 1600 ISO jpgs. Ouch. That's something you don't want to see at 100% magnification.

Hopefully it'll be better in good light.