10-25-2016, 06:39 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I saw a great show at the Bronx Documentary Center

EXHIBITIONS
10-25-2016, 06:41 AM - 4 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think it all has to do with the digital explosion. You know how many good photos I have of my first dog, one of the subject matters that you maligned? Two. Exactly two. My last dog? Several hundred. And those were *good* pictures. The total number is over a thousand. Sadly, and like it or not, digital has changed our expectations as to what a *good* photo is. In the film days if you got focus and lighting correct and it got printed right, it was *good*. Nowadays you need that too (minus the printing) but if you shoot a mundane subject, like a dog, he must be:
  1. Leaping in the air catching a frisbee or some other object, and the photo must be on a beach and have a gorgeous sunset (or blonde) in the background.
  2. Be involved in some titanic struggle against an arthropod or squirrel.
  3. Be a hero dog with three legs that saved 18 children, three old ladies, and Donald Trump's campaign.
  4. Dressed up in a cute costume. This does not apply to uber-macho dogs like German Shepherds, Dobermans, and Chihuahuas.

So it's not just Pentax. It's everyone. Everyone has much higher expectations now, with one exception. Anything taken with a cell phone is good. That's why it gets posted immediately to social media sites. My wife's meatloaf is a work of art. It must be acknowledged.

10-25-2016, 06:55 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
Dressed up in a cute costume.
But not a clown costume. Uh uh. No.
10-25-2016, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

For me, the biggest issue here is the size of the image. I have many images that look great on my 27" iMac that posted here just lose it. Captured detail becomes invisible, the sense of scale gets lost, often the 3d pop of an image is lost in the smaller version.

That being said, beauty is the eye of the beholder. The only one who can find images you think are beautiful is you. No one else has clue what you think will be beautiful.

Post your photos is as much social time as it is post your great photos. Personally most of what I put in post your photos are series that tell story. More a news magazine than a photo gallery. Ansel Adam implied if you get one great image a month, you're doing good.Just the fact that great pictures are defined by what else is out there means the vast majority won't be great. It's a bell curve kind of thing.

How about the exclusive gallery... that's the place most appropriate to what you are looking for.
PentaxForums Exclusive Gallery - Pentax User Photo Gallery

Last edited by normhead; 10-25-2016 at 07:16 AM.
10-25-2016, 07:16 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Personally, a lot of my stuff is best seen on flickr. Some of it I am truly proud of, but most of it is only there so I can post to the forum about lens flaws, or personal errors, or for daily challenges, where artistic excellence is not always the highest priority. You have to look at all the images posted in context.
I'm the same Sandy.

I only post here when I want the opinion of a forum member on a technical problem or personal error. I save my best images for posting on my websites.

10-25-2016, 07:22 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I'm the same Sandy.

I only post here when I want the opinion of a forum member on a technical problem or personal error. I save my best images for posting on my websites.
Don't just be takers.... give something back.
10-25-2016, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

We all kinda suck.. Photos of cats and dogs are easier. Here are a few of my recent messups.... If only I shot Canon or Nikon.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
10-25-2016, 07:44 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by furryurry Quote
P.S. I think you'll like the medium format thread Post your medium format photos!
Ah those are wonderful. Pay to be professional... haha. I've seen plenty of fantastic imagse on the forums. Look at the monthly contest. Its so hard to choose my favourites every single month.
10-25-2016, 07:53 AM   #26

Oh. Thanks for that info on the photo gallery. See, learn something new everyday on this forum site. That's what make an addictive site for me. Drives the wife up the wall. 😊
10-25-2016, 08:01 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by geoffw Quote
Oh. Thanks for that info on the photo gallery. See, learn something new everyday on this forum site. That's what make an addictive site for me. Drives the wife up the wall. 😊
My wife claims she's a forum widow.
10-25-2016, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

Look in the proper clubs... for Landscape, there are clubs for some of the main lenses:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/86234-15mm-limited-controls-my-mind-club.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/107938-sigma-8-16mm-club.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/84539-sigma-10-20mm-club.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/326449-hd-pentax-d-fa-1-2-...lens-club.html

For portraits and general pictures, the Limited clubs are a good place to start...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/59538-fa-limited-club-501.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/74194-da-limited-club.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/247859-da-limited-zoom-club.html

Also make sure to look at our Monthly Contest winners: Winners' Showcase - PentaxForums.com

There's other wonderful stuff around... like in the Post Your Photos forum... Post Your Photos! - PentaxForums.com

Of course most people here (or on any gear-focused photography forums) the majority of the people are just enthusiasts and not pros... but I think there's quite a bit of talent around here and yes people do post lens tests with mundane subjects... but if that doesn't interest you, just move to the next pic...
10-25-2016, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

Imagine how pathetic we would all be if we only shared our best moments...... how light weight this forum would become..... might as well shoot Canikon and post our self obsessed perfect moments to reinforce our scewed view of our sense of self.

Nah.... us Pentaxians are realists.... we share and support each other in our best and worst.....half of us even help pentax every day by manually focussing!

Now for some inspiration.... just for Sandy....

shot at 450mm
10-25-2016, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ken Goh posts regularly on the K1 thread. I'd agree with dcshooter that the forum software really does seem to soften images. They look good on Flickr but then posted on the forum everything just looks a little soft.