Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2016, 10:54 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where are all the good pictures?

I dont need to be rude. But where are all the good pictures I want to aspire to and learn from?
Lately it has been dogs, cats, flowers, ........errrrm dogs, cats, flowers,

Where are the nicely retouched pictures of people, nicely done landscapes, macros (ok there has been some nice macros lately).

Pictures that are nicely edited that arouse emotions.

For that matter where is KenGoh, etc....

I know a lot of people take candids. And I have no problems with that. I hate candid myself but i do take them.

But I want to see beautiful pictures made by Pentaxians. Now dont ask me where are mine .

I find myself stalking the "post your photos" section several times a day to see if some amazing has pop up. ):

Hopefully this streak changes.

Culture.

Last edited by Culture; 10-24-2016 at 11:08 PM.
10-24-2016, 11:05 PM - 5 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

None of us are any good. That's why we shoot Pentax. LOL.

Either that, or you're looking in the wrong places....
10-24-2016, 11:17 PM   #3
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
Pictures that are nicely edited that arouse emotions.
I know there's a number of other locations to search for images under cameras, lenses and themes etc., not just the general photography forum. For example:

Landscapes using telephoto lenses: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/32...andscapes.html

Shots with the moon as a theme: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/27...your-moon.html

And if post processing is an interest of yours, why don't you join this thread and show us what you've got? This challenge ends in about a day but whoever wins hosts the next round using one of their images.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/33...nge-197-a.html

Tas

Ps: I dropped by your website; very impressive.

Last edited by Tas; 10-24-2016 at 11:36 PM.
10-24-2016, 11:34 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
You could also try the Pentax photo gallery. A real mixture of photos there. 😊

10-24-2016, 11:38 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Look up the lens clubs. All of them.
10-25-2016, 12:13 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I sort of know what you mean - whenever I sign up with a new photography sharing website I resolve to only show my best work on that one - to make it a proper showcase - but I always get sucked into the social element of it where you want to post stuff to show where you've been, what you've been up to, what will amuse you friends or followers. Maybe we all still take the occasional good image - and a lot of top people reckon that one good image in a day's shooting is an ambitious target - it's just that we over-share, because we're doing it for different reasons. The other problem, of course, is that as we get better, our standards go up with us, but there will always be people posting whose work is the best they've done, and they are rightly pleased with it, but we've moved on from there , and while it once inspired us, now we see what they could have done better. And maybe we get a bt protective of our best work, holding it back for competitions of print sales? I left Panoramio for Flickr about 5 years ago because Flickr seemed a more serious place than Panoramio had become -but I now seldom get the thoughtful comments I used to get when I first joined Flickr - maybe we just have to keep moving on,finding our level again? But you always feel like you're leaving friends behind when you do, because in the end, these are social media.
10-25-2016, 12:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Now dont ask me where are mine
Where are yours? And I don't mean to be rude
P.S. I think you'll like the medium format thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/48-pentax-medium-format/87027-post-your-m...ml#post3809206

10-25-2016, 02:22 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by furryurry Quote
His website is linked in the original post, and it ain't bad. Look at it before you judge too harshly.
10-25-2016, 02:33 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
I dont need to be rude. But where are all the good pictures I want to aspire to and learn from?
Lately it has been dogs, cats, flowers, ........errrrm dogs, cats, flowers,

Where are the nicely retouched pictures of people, nicely done landscapes, macros (ok there has been some nice macros lately).

I find myself stalking the "post your photos" section several times a day to see if some amazing has pop up. ):

Hopefully this streak changes.

Culture.
On another website years ago I remember someone posting a similar question. It turns out that their definition of a "good" photo was over-processed HDR garbage and photoshopped low angle photos of cars which looked like crap. Needless to say what he considered to be a "good" photo was shredded by a critical eye. Before you go and say that you can't find a good photo on this site we'd like to know what you consider to be the best photo you have ever taken. I find there to be an amazing amount of talent here. Ever day there are amazing photographs taken by the amateurs and professionals on this site.

obin
10-25-2016, 02:49 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Also remember that many of us post images here to make a point - either good or bad. The aim here is to share information rather than boast about how clever we are.
10-25-2016, 02:57 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Full Frame changed Pentax Land, reshaping Pentaxian society. Now we are all gear-heads who rant about specs like the folks in neighbouring Canon Land and seldom take any photos. LOL!
10-25-2016, 03:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
None of us are any good. That's why we shoot Pentax. LOL.

Either that, or you're looking in the wrong places....
That was funny. And it is possible I am looking at the wrong places.

---------- Post added 25-10-16 at 13:09 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
I know there's a number of other locations to search for images under cameras, lenses and themes etc., not just the general photography forum. For example:

Landscapes using telephoto lenses: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/32...andscapes.html

Shots with the moon as a theme: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/27...your-moon.html

And if post processing is an interest of yours, why don't you join this thread and show us what you've got? This challenge ends in about a day but whoever wins hosts the next round using one of their images.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/33...nge-197-a.html

Tas

Ps: I dropped by your website; very impressive.
Thanks for visiting my site and the compliments.

I have thought several times about the post processing competition.

Call it lack of self confidence, which I am sure you will disagree and in general I am a confident person.

But I feel like I dont have the skill and time to compete a weekly schedule competition.

For me it takes time to process. I had a baby photo session two weeks ago. I am still processing because I am trying to see if I can give the client something that I have not done before and that takes me time.

---------- Post added 25-10-16 at 13:11 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by geoffw Quote
You could also try the Pentax photo gallery. A real mixture of photos there. 😊
Yeah. I know. I have seen a lot of them. Too bad they are not being maintained anymore.

---------- Post added 25-10-16 at 13:13 ----------

Look up the lens clubs. All of them.
Sandy.

Its a self preservation measure for me. Lens clubs are a sure way of getting LBA.

---------- Post added 25-10-16 at 13:18 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by furryurry Quote
P.S. I think you'll like the medium format thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/48-pentax-medium-format/87027-post-your-m...ml#post3809206

His website is linked in the original post, and it ain't bad. Look at it before you judge too harshly.
Sandy, Thanks looking at my site.
When I saw your first comments, I looked at how many posts, thanks, gear you have and then I went to see if you have site i can see but was disappointed.

I visit a lot of people from forum site. Its a sure way to grow. You know they have the same gear you have and try to achieve what they have achieved.

---------- Post added 25-10-16 at 13:28 ----------

One things is that I dont do social media. So I dont parade my work. Yes people have told me to create facebook or instagram account to connect to my photoghraphy so I can get clients.
But I am still pondering on that.

I am not looking to be bombarded by overprocessed work that is highly unachievable for many of us. No pun intended. But I like nice work. That is why I mentioned KenGoh. His work is beautiful.

Also remember that many of us post images here to make a point - either good or bad. The aim here is to share information rather than boast about how clever we are.
Sandy makes a good point that people post some images just to make a point and I do understand that.

For me PF is the only place I come for everything photography. If I go to Nikon or Canon forums I feel lost.
I am not sure I am making sense but this is just how I feel. I might feel different tomorrow.
10-25-2016, 03:40 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally, a lot of my stuff is best seen on flickr. Some of it I am truly proud of, but most of it is only there so I can post to the forum about lens flaws, or personal errors, or for daily challenges, where artistic excellence is not always the highest priority. You have to look at all the images posted in context.
10-25-2016, 04:03 AM   #14
farmerDavid

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/314413-post-your-k-1-pictures.html

There are some wonderfull things to see.
David
10-25-2016, 04:05 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I saw your first comments, I looked at how many posts, thanks, gear you have and then I went to see if you have site i can see but was disappointed.
Get used to disappointment. My day job pays too well