Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2016, 06:29 PM   #1

Need help pricing out DSLR + lenses for friend going on Safari

Hey all,

My friend lives in NYC. She's leaving Sunday to go on a trip to Africa. She wanted a camera and a lens that was going to help her take pics of wildlife while she was on a tour of this reserve. I said I'd price something out for her.

Was looking for recommendations.
Budget is $1000 or under.

What setup would you go with. She's all preferably need a bag, etc.

Lives pretty close to B&H in Brooklyn who are only open Thursday and Friday this week (apparently)

Thank you!

10-25-2016, 07:03 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-70 with the 18-135mm plus the new 55-300mm PLM. Should be an awesome setup.

You can also go for the K-S2 instead of the K-70 to fit it exactly within the budget.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-25-2016, 07:07 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A K-70 body with a HD Pentax-A 55-300mm lens (forego the PLM version so as to stay within budget) will be about $1000. She may be equally happy with the older Pentax K-S2 over the K-70 and that would leave some $$ for the bag.
10-25-2016, 07:14 PM   #4
CDW
Site Supporter

It will be difficult to find anything in a DSLR with a lens with long enough reach for wildlife shooting for under $1000.00. I'm a Pentax shooter but for your friend, who sounds perhaps like a casual user, who likely won't be printing large images, the following would do the job in terms of lens reach, image stabilization, better video capabilities than any Pentax currently being made, and really affordable. $500.00: Panasonic LUMIX DMC-ZS60 Camera, 18 Megapixels, 1/2.3-inch Sensor, 4K Video, WiFi, Leica DC Lens 30X F3.3-6.4 Zoom (Black)

Alternatively, if she is willing to accept less reach lens wise, isn't concerned about video capabilities, I'd say the Pentax K70 with 18-135mm lens (24-200mm equiv.) If she could stretch the budget, ask B&H to bundle the body with the 18-270. I doubt she will want to be changing lenses, especially under dusty field conditions.

Other options could be to buy a K70 with basic kit lens and rent a higher quality zoom that has some reach, for the trip.

10-25-2016, 07:15 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
A K-70 body with a HD Pentax-A 55-300mm lens (forego the PLM version so as to stay within budget) will be about $1000. She may be equally happy with the older Pentax K-S2 over the K-70 and that would leave some $$ for the bag.
Some money left over for a bag/memory card/etc Would be nice. So thank you

---------- Post added 10-25-16 at 07:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
K-70 with the 18-135mm plus the new 55-300mm PLM. Should be an awesome setup.

You can also go for the K-S2 instead of the K-70 to fit it exactly within the budget.
Thank you!

---------- Post added 10-25-16 at 07:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
It will be difficult to find anything in a DSLR with a lens with long enough reach for wildlife shooting for under $1000.00. I'm a Pentax shooter but for your friend, who sounds perhaps like a casual user, who likely won't be printing large images, the following would do the job in terms of lens reach, image stabilization, better video capabilities than any Pentax currently being made, and really affordable. $500.00: Panasonic LUMIX DMC-ZS60 Camera, 18 Megapixels, 1/2.3-inch Sensor, 4K Video, WiFi, Leica DC Lens 30X F3.3-6.4 Zoom (Black)

Alternatively, if she is willing to accept less reach lens wise, isn't concerned about video capabilities, I'd say the Pentax K70 with 18-135mm lens (24-200mm equiv.) If she could stretch the budget, ask B&H to bundle the body with the 18-270. I doubt she will want to be changing lenses, especially under dusty field conditions.

Other options could be to buy a K70 with basic kit lens and rent a higher quality zoom that has some reach, for the trip.
Video wasn't something she specifically asked for so I'm going to assume she wasn't thinking that way. I'm looking at this stuff online now. Hmm
10-25-2016, 07:46 PM   #6

Original Poster
Amazon.com plus let her pick out a bag. Just about there. $1100. What do you think?
10-25-2016, 08:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nzondlo Quote
Hey all,

My friend lives in NYC. She's leaving Sunday to go on a trip to Africa. She wanted a camera and a lens that was going to help her take pics of wildlife while she was on a tour of this reserve. I said I'd price something out for her.

Was looking for recommendations.
Budget is $1000 or under.

What setup would you go with. She's all preferably need a bag, etc.

Lives pretty close to B&H in Brooklyn who are only open Thursday and Friday this week (apparently)

Thank you!
You can buy a K-50 with a kit lens for just over $500 Canadian in my home town. If you can find somewhere local that sells keep in mind you might find good prices on "old" stock.

10-26-2016, 12:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If going with Pentax, I would strongly suggest the PLM lens, AF is much faster across the board. Now, that does not exclude the K-S2 IIRC, if you need to save money. A K-S2 with the 18-50 and 55-300 comes out just under 1000. Add a bag, SD card or two and another battery and she's set.
Something of note, she may benefit from getting Yvon's ebook on her chosen camera, as "a couple of days" before leaving really isn't the ideal time to buy a brand spankin' new camera.
10-26-2016, 06:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

A one time trip? Rent something nice.
10-29-2016, 12:40 PM   #10
Forum Member

I'd also vote for K70 plus 55-300. The extra resolution and lack of AA filter gives more 'cropability' than the earlier bodies and your friend will appreciate the low weight and weatherproofing. Try to borrow a compact or (I can barely bring myself to say it...) phone for landscapes.