Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2016, 07:46 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
One thing I noticed just last year in Europe was that they have far more graffiti than I see in the USA, in places like Berlin and Vienna among others. I was told by our guides that the artists are not dissuaded by local governments and law enforcement. They tend to view it as artistic expression. To me it just distracted from the architecture and charm of many locations.
There are certain areas where it is allowed, other places where graffiti is mainly tolerated, but you certainly can't tag everywhere you like in Austria. If you plan to make a graffiti on the opera in vienna for instance I suggest you better not get caught.

---------- Post added 26-10-16 at 16:56 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
Interesting - at the moment Wallonia is the holdout region preventing a trade deal between Canada and the European Community.
Maybe they aprove CETA when someone promises to open this steel plant again.

10-26-2016, 08:23 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
There are certain areas where it is allowed, other places where graffiti is mainly tolerated, but you certainly can't tag everywhere you like in Austria. If you plan to make a graffiti on the opera in vienna for instance I suggest you better not get caught.

---------- Post added 26-10-16 at 16:56 ----------

Maybe they aprove CETA when someone promises to open this steel plant again.
We are still trying to get the old Stelco plant in Hamilton going full tilt again. So it's not likely to be anyone in Canada.
10-26-2016, 09:59 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
One thing I noticed just last year in Europe was that they have far more graffiti than I see in the USA, in places like Berlin and Vienna among others. I was told by our guides that the artists are not dissuaded by local governments and law enforcement. They tend to view it as artistic expression. To me it just distracted from the architecture and charm of many locations.

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
Are you talking about graffiti (tagging) or wall murals? Painted wall murals are "encouraged" all over the world and look good on some older buildings/warehouses/factories.

We just had a mural festival here in Vancouver and there are some really nice works on display:

Artists ? VANCOUVER MURAL FESTIVAL

Phil.
10-26-2016, 11:21 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Are you talking about graffiti (tagging) or wall murals? Painted wall murals are "encouraged" all over the world and look good on some older buildings/warehouses/factories.

We just had a mural festival here in Vancouver and there are some really nice works on display:

Artists ? VANCOUVER MURAL FESTIVAL

Phil.
I don't see a big difference there, both can look good or not so much depending on the artist's skill and if it fits your taste.
Edit: but I guess I am talking more about wall murals

10-26-2016, 12:30 PM - 2 Likes   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Same here! My grandfather used to own a house at the Belgian coast, in a rather nice part of the country, so I've been to Belgium most summers of my childhood and teenage years. It's difficult to put in words, but there is something weird about Belgium. It feels like the place doesn't have a proper identity, or history, or culture. At least in some places. Others, like Bruges, are pretty nice.
This is amusing, there's no place in the world where you find more culture and history n such a small area than Belgium. Ghent, Mechelen, Antwerp, Brussels, Bruges... there all just a stone's throw away from each other and have all been historically important cities. Buy a history book. This said, the political structure in Belgium is very complex, this is historically grown because of the difference in culture between the north and south. The views on how to organise a society are totally different. This is causing poor decision making and is one of the reasons Wallonia struggles the modernise its economy. The current discussion about CETA deal with Canada is a typical example of this.
But Charleroi will live up in time and for now, it's a great place to take pictures, there's also a film (Izgnanie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0488905/) which has its impressive opening sequence shot in Charleroi, check it out

Last edited by Wildbunch; 10-26-2016 at 12:48 PM.
10-26-2016, 02:34 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Same here! My grandfather used to own a house at the Belgian coast, in a rather nice part of the country, so I've been to Belgium most summers of my childhood and teenage years. It's difficult to put in words, but there is something weird about Belgium. It feels like the place doesn't have a proper identity, or history, or culture. At least in some places. Others, like Bruges, are pretty nice.
Belgium has a lot of history, cities like Antwerpen or Gent are very interesting. Brugge is fake.
10-26-2016, 02:49 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Looking at those buildings it is not out of the realm of possibility that they could be turned into something very trendy and attractive. In New York City on the West Side of Manhattan in the 1970's you would find decrepit warehouses and a dilapidated old rusting eyesore elevated rail line known as the high line. For years the city talked about tearing it down and never did. Now everyone is grateful for that, it has become one of the most innovative urban parks in the US and a great place to take pictures.

10-26-2016, 03:01 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

If there's a bit of a lack of character about Brussels, isn't that just similar to other places that are centres of bureaucracy, like Brasilia, Canberra and Ottawa? It's also the 'capital' of the EU too, of course.
10-27-2016, 06:49 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
If there's a bit of a lack of character about Brussels, isn't that just similar to other places that are centres of bureaucracy, like Brasilia, Canberra and Ottawa? It's also the 'capital' of the EU too, of course.
I suspect that is true.
10-27-2016, 08:54 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If there's a bit of a lack of character about Brussels, isn't that just similar to other places that are centres of bureaucracy, like Brasilia, Canberra and Ottawa?
A bit off topic, but thought I'd put a plug in for Ottawa: Canada's capital area is in the middle of five governmental jurisdictions: federal; two provinces (Ontario and Quebec); and two cities (Ottawa in the province of Ontario, and Gatineau in Quebec). Six, if you throw in the National Capital Commission, a federal government invention of the 1950s.

We're masters at bureaucracy. (But Ottawa is a photogenic city).

- Craig
10-27-2016, 09:52 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Ottawa is a photogenic city
Have to agree, Ottawa has loads of character.
10-27-2016, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The decay of the heavy steel industry has mostly to do with two factors, both of which have their roots in the fact that labor (and the materials labor produces) is expensive:

1. Manufacturers substituted less labor-intensive materials in finished goods wherever possible - mostly plastics - to control input costs
2. Manufacturers substituted machines for people in the manufacturing process wherever possible - to control input costs.

In the USA the parking lots of old steel mills that have been modernized are 90% empty, meaning they can operate at full capacity with 10% of the laborers necessary to operate them when they were built. On a global scale, we produce 50% more steel today than in 1990, with half the laborers. So naturally there are derelict steel mils (and auto plants, aluminum smelters, foundries and everything else) all over the industrialized world. Add in paradigm shifts, such as the end of film production and what that has done to Rochester, New York, and urban decay makes sense as quite simply the result of

PROGRESS.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-27-2016 at 01:47 PM.
10-27-2016, 11:52 AM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
A bit off topic, but thought I'd put a plug in for Ottawa: Canada's capital area is in the middle of five governmental jurisdictions: federal; two provinces (Ontario and Quebec); and two cities (Ottawa in the province of Ontario, and Gatineau in Quebec). Six, if you throw in the National Capital Commission, a federal government invention of the 1950s.

We're masters at bureaucracy. (But Ottawa is a photogenic city).

- Craig
That's interesting, c.a.m.

Canberra can certainly be photographed - it's constructed around a lake, the parliament is built into the earth, etc.

But people I know who grew up there as the sons and daughters of civil servants couldn't wait to get out when they turned 18.

It came about because there was disagreement about whether Sydney or Melbourne should be the nation's capital, and the compromise was to choose a tiny town halfway between them.

10-27-2016, 01:16 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
there was disagreement about whether Sydney or Melbourne should be the nation's capital, and the compromise was to choose a tiny town halfway between them
Ottawa was chosen for similar reasons, but also because it was a relatively safe distance from the U.S. border.
10-27-2016, 04:22 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Ottawa was chosen for similar reasons, but also because it was a relatively safe distance from the U.S. border.
It's actually six times, isn't it?

4 Times the U.S. Invaded Canada | Mental Floss