amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
bravo!
10-28-2016, 06:48 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats, those are great words to hear. I'd add "Here's the check" If I could make my obsession hobby pay for itself, that would be enough.
10-28-2016, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Good for you.

I like to hear these 5 words: "Your camera takes good pictures." Then I can reply with the sarcastic "Your mouth makes good words."

10-28-2016, 08:35 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Congrats, those are great words to hear. I'd add "Here's the check" If I could make my obsession hobby pay for itself, that would be enough.
I agree with this one too. The first time you are paid for any kind of photograph is a very special moment recognizing that your craft and creativity are appreciated by someone else who is still mystified about things we have come to take for granted in our hobby.
However, I used to get that recognition a lot more when the person getting the photos was used to looking at the world through a Kodak Instamatic on 126 or 110 film. Now most people think I'm wasting my time while they share "great" smartphone photos on facebook.
10-28-2016, 09:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
I used to get that recognition a lot more when the person getting the photos was used to looking at the world through a Kodak Instamatic on 126 or 110 film. Now most people think I'm wasting my time while they share "great" smartphone photos on facebook.
That is very true, but I wouldnʻt worry about what most people think. The ones that matter are the ones that see the difference and the challenge for all of us both hobbyists and pros is rise above and make special images. I think great images can be made with phones and lesser cameras, but it is so much harder because of all the limitations.

Nevertheless, this is a good reminder for all photographers that when we critique or give feedback to someone elseʻs images, to praise and encourage the glass half full. Donʻt nit pick or offer advice with good intent unless itʻs asked for.
10-29-2016, 03:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
The shots are for my kids' scout group, so this particular gig will never be a paying one. That doesn't bother me. Besides, I have a regular day job anyway and making money on the side would only complicate my tax situation.

10-29-2016, 06:11 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
The shots are for my kids' scout group
In that context, I completely understand. For most of my life I've been the "guy with the camera" at events and gatherings of family and friends. As time goes on, I wish I'd taken more pictures, but my friends are grateful to have the pictures I did take, the memories that are preserved and shareable, and that is better than money.