Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2016, 10:40 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Well, we know Tess is far too shy and would *never* be so bold as to just go get something so new and fancy and stuff, so you are obviously taking that burden upon yourself and setting up the scenarios where Tess can try out the things she's wanted all along, and you get to act like it wasn't all planned in advance.

Are you sayin' it ain't so?

(dammit, wish I could keep a straight face typing that up...)
The reminds me of that old saying " My goal in life is to be the person my dog thinks I am."

I'll change that to "My dog and RoxnDox". At least you're in good company. Trippers a great dog.

Isn't anyone going to ask me how I could possibly get a dog running straight at me in focus using lousy Pentax gear with that terrible tracking? Admittedly Tripper is right at the front of the frame meaning he almost ran out of it, but, that also enabled me to keep both dogs in focus. It doesn't always work against you being a little slower than the others. Not that the know it alls would ever admit that. But... I digress....

Last edited by normhead; 11-03-2016 at 11:55 AM.
11-03-2016, 04:43 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Upon reflection, I think your cheap. A happy wife that only costs a new camera every 3-4 years is a real bargain!.... and didn't you just get a new hip?
11-03-2016, 06:34 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
.... and didn't you just get a new hip?
Ah but, don't forget that Norm lives in a fantastic country that has the equivalent of state/federal healthcare so the new hip was probably free!

I doubt that OHIP would cover the cost of a new K-1 to be honest (no matter how much Norm begged).
11-03-2016, 06:47 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Upon reflection, I think your cheap. A happy wife that only costs a new camera every 3-4 years is a real bargain!.... and didn't you just get a new hip?
I'm gonna do the teacher thing then and say it it is "you are cheap" not "your cheap". Learn english man. As for the new hip, it did cost me maybe $500 with things not covered, hotel the night before, a walker for when I got him that kind of thing.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
Ah but, don't forget that Norm lives in a fantastic country that has the equivalent of state/federal healthcare so the new hip was probably free!

I doubt that OHIP would cover the cost of a new K-1 to be honest (no matter how much Norm begged).
Shhhh, last time I bragged about free health care, I was threatened with a warning for being political.

After the operation I really needed another 6 days of oxy, they wouldn't give it to me, claimed too many people were selling it on the black market, thought I might try and recuperate my $500. So basically, I suffered for 6 days because Ontario subscribes more opiates than anywhere else in the world, and the way to remedy that according to the Ontario Medical Association is to not give it to folks who need it. But given OHIP didn't pay for $500 dollars of stuff I had to have, I doubt, they'd cover a K-1.

My doctor could be investigated for prescribing me Tylenol 3s for my headaches forget about oxycontin. All the physicians up here would rather me suffer than they lose their license. They don't seem to be the most compassionate lot. They did give me Tylenol 2s, and after about a week, I was able to start using no pain killers at all, (which is the same as not using any pain killers) not even Ibuprofen, but I'll never forget days 15-21 after the operation, when I was staying awake until 3 in the morning because i couldn't get any pain killers strong enough to let me sleep.

All you Ontarians who get strung out on pain killers and got the OMA worrying about their reputation, you guys owe me big time..

I'm going to need some serious pain killers and anti-depressants if Tess takes my K-1. My suffering will continue. Then I will start buying them on the black market because my doctor won't prescribe them, then I'll get busted robbing a drug store and sent to prison for life. My whole life ruined because Tess took my K-1 and because Ontario Doctors are un-ethical.

I'm telling you, it could happen.

Last edited by normhead; 11-03-2016 at 07:24 PM.
11-03-2016, 07:06 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm gonna do the teacher thing then and say I't you are cheap" not "your" cheap. Learn english
I did once upon a time, but I'm retired now..... and somewhat rebellious.... hence me shoot shoot Pentax now (couldn't resist the me)

Anyway.... I just had a look through the viewfinder of my K5II then K-1....mm .... bit of a difference!
11-03-2016, 07:27 PM   #66
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I did once upon a time, but I'm retired now..... and somewhat rebellious.... hence me shoot shoot Pentax now (couldn't resist the me)

Anyway.... I just had a look through the viewfinder of my K5II then K-1....mm .... bit of a difference!
She loves those lines in the viewfinder.
11-03-2016, 08:51 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm going to need some serious pain killers and anti-depressants if Tess takes my K-1. My suffering will continue. Then I will start buying them on the black market because my doctor won't prescribe them, then I'll get busted robbing a drug store and sent to prison for life. My whole life ruined because Tess took my K-1 and because Ontario Doctors are un-ethical.
Norm, you need help!
Send Tess for counselling before she gets in too deep with the K-1 and causes this downward spiral.
It will be all her fault: make her see sense!

11-04-2016, 06:05 AM   #68
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Norm, you need help!
Send Tess for counselling before she gets in too deep with the K-1 and causes this downward spiral.
It will be all her fault: make her see sense!
But what about the un-ethical Ontario doctors, what can I do about them?
11-04-2016, 09:31 AM   #69
Pentaxian

Well, things could be worse. Like if you were both bikers and had a love for Harley Davidsons. Cameras and gear are expensive but I try to keep it in perspective. I have kayaks along with gear (paddles, flotation vests, etc.) and the fishing gear (the reason for the kayaks). The total investment is probably more than a K1 body in US$. Then there are my skis ($500 off the sale rack), boots ($600 Black Friday special) and last but not least, $400 for a pass. If I don't buy the pass in summer, $85 a day. Multiply by 2 if both participate. I'm fortunate that my wife doesn't want to ride anymore as even a used Sportster would be several thousand dollars.

Five or six years and you would be getting a new camera body anyhow so you really only have to work in the cost difference between a new APS-C body and the K1. Of course, there's wear and tear on my other stuff. Skis are pretty whipped after 5 seasons. I was able to keep my last pair 9 years but I had a few seasons where I only skied a few times due to physical issues. I was forced into the new ski boots because after foot surgery, I could no longer fit into my old ones. My wife skis too but at least the kids are grown up now and I'm not paying for them. The kayaks are the best investment. Unless you go over a waterfall and land on rocks, they are nearly indestructible.

I don't know if this will make you feel better. Fortunately, my wife has no interest in photography. I have a daughter who is but she went over to the dark side (Nikon) years ago. I am content in the fact that photography over the years has been one of the less expensive hobbies. It's not cheap and I'm not saying that but I hope you and your wife can work out joint custody of the K1.
11-04-2016, 02:24 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

then I'll get busted robbing a drug store and sent to prison for life
Well Norm, then you could get the opiates no problem.
LOL couldn't help it

We'be been dealing with some similar issues for my wife and son for a few years. I have great extra coverage for many things through my employer plan. When I look at the annual summary of the cost of these benefits and consider what it would cost to foot the bill myself I do feel blessed.

Now we need a photography plan.
11-04-2016, 03:11 PM   #71
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I don't know if this will make you feel better.
No it doesn't.

QuoteQuote:
It's not cheap and I'm not saying that but I hope you and your wife can work out joint custody of the K1
Don't you have to get divorced before you work out custody?

QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
Well Norm, then you could get the opiates no problem.
LOL couldn't help it
11-04-2016, 05:27 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Buying the K-1 reminds me of the classic Warren Miller ski flicks - if you don't buy it this year, "you'll just be one year older when you do."