Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2016, 02:10 PM - 10 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Sum of all Fears....

First let me explain. I'm still amazed i actually bought a K-1. Other recent purchases a 5500 watt generator for when the power goes down, $800, I could have bought 3 of them. Trailer hitch for my car $400. I could have bought 6 of them. I was thinking of a K-70. I could have bought 3 of them. I mean really, what was I thinking? I paid $2499 CDN for a freakin camera. The most I've ever paid before was $1299 for my pre-ordered K-3. But somehow, despite all my certainty that it was a photographic "nice to have" rather than a photographic necessity, as soon as I had an extra $2499, I bought it. I did my absolute best to talk myself out of it, nothing worked.

Warning flash back.
5 or 6 years ago, I bought a K-5, impressed by the positive reviews almost every where.. At the time Tess was using a K-x. She asked if she could try it out, and said " I really like this camera." Preferring the "happy wife happy life" angle on things I said. "well you use it then, I can get along with the old K20d, it's still a good camera. Long story short it quickly became her camera. 6 months later I bought my own K5 to replace it.

So one of the big factors in the K-1 was all the positive reviews and all the gushers. So many people buying K-1s and gushing endlessly. I mean, they can't all be wrong even if a few of them are emotionally unstable and way to fixated on their camera gear.

SO we were out on the dog walk this morning. Tess says, are you taking your camera? I say yes. "Groan, I'll have to wait for you." Me: "I'll just take the K-1 and 50 macro. I probably won't take it out of the bag.'

So we got to the dump

See thie two sand piles way over to the right. I decide to climb the lower one and take a few shots. She says, you should climb the higher one." I didn't really think I wanted to do that. She says "Give me the camera, I want to take a few shots from up there." I should have known better right then but no, I hand her the camera and wait while she gets to the top of the pile.

She looks through the viewfinder. She says " I really like this camera." I think I went into shock. I muttered something about the nice viewfinder and in viewfinder level. When she got home she wanted her pictures, she looked at them on her brand new 4k monitor ( I don't have one of those yet, but I could have bought myself one if I didn't buy a K-1). She says "look how sharp they are."

All I'm saying to myself at that point is "Don't freak out, freaking out won't help anything."

Anyway, long story short, I really didn't want to buy one, now I may end up buying two, if I ever want to use it again. I didn't say "well you use it then." I couldn't even bring myself to say "use it when I'm not using it." If she uses it, she's going to take it. It will never be mine again. like the K-5 she still uses, like my Tamron 90, now her Tamron 90. This is not the way I planned it. It was good when she took the dogs for her after noon walk by herself so I could walk around freaking out for a while. Sure it won't do any good, but I feel better now.

Last edited by normhead; 10-30-2016 at 04:35 PM.
10-30-2016, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Happy wife, happy life.
Words to live by.
Rock on Tess!
Well played, well played.

(slow clap)

10-30-2016, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Norm, enjoy you K-3.
10-30-2016, 03:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hahaha!!!
It's those little things that will save Pentax from Doom! XD
'njoy ;-)

10-30-2016, 03:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

First, congrats on the K-1 didn't know you got one.
Second, I'm sure it was fun while it lasted...
10-30-2016, 03:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
enjoy you K-3.
K-3's a great camera - I love mine - it's just, well, for some reason, I've hardly used it this last couple of months...
10-30-2016, 03:25 PM   #7

Lovely story,
You should have bought yourself a K-70 first and then sacrificed it to her, after which you might have settled for a K-1 as consolation!
That said, it does sound like you have a nice relationship, even if your beloved has you wrapped around her finger.

10-30-2016, 03:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
K-3's a great camera - I love mine - it's just, well, for some reason, I've hardly used it this last couple of months...
. . . me too, although I did try the K-3 on the D-FA* 70-200 and found the AF utterly sucked. A6000 and A7r with all the Sony/Zeiss are boxed up ready to go since the K-1 arrived.
10-30-2016, 04:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The K-1 would make a nice hand-me-up for your wife.

Perhaps you can horse trade the K-1 for a 4K monitor and an open allowance on a new K3iii.
10-30-2016, 04:27 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
May I bestow some advice?...never get a 645z,don't even think about it.
10-30-2016, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I thought she was going to to drop it...then I realized where you were going
10-30-2016, 04:32 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Selling a K3, a K5 and a K20D might help raise the funds for a new K1... Might need to sell a few APSC lenses as well...
10-30-2016, 04:41 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Well, Norm, you can always compromise and let Tess carry the K-1 for you!

(NB: Norm's signature reads: "Every system is a set of compromises. APS-c is my favourite set of compromises.")

10-30-2016, 04:41 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Happy wife, happy life.
Words to live by.
Rock on Tess!
Well played, well played.

(slow clap)

And I thought you were the sympathetic "cry on my shoulder" type.

Norm, enjoy you K-3.
It's wonderful camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Hahaha!!!
It's those little things that will save Pentax from Doom! XD
'njoy ;-)
But what will save me from doom?

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
First, congrats on the K-1 didn't know you got one.
Second, I'm sure it was fun while it lasted...
It was, it was just starting to grow on me.

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
The K-1 was banished from the blind.... so the K-3 will always have a place in my life.

QuoteOriginally posted by ronniemac Quote
Lovely story,
You should have bought yourself a K-70 first and then sacrificed it to her, after which you might have settled for a K-1 as consolation!
That said, it does sound like you have a nice relationship, even if your beloved has you wrapped around her finger.
Ya, now you tell me.

. . . me too, although I did try the K-3 on the D-FA* 70-200 and found the AF utterly sucked. A6000 and A7r with all the Sony/Zeiss are boxed up ready to go since the K-1 arrived.
I'm sending tTess over to your place, where do you live again?

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The K-1 would make a nice hand-me-up for your wife.

Perhaps you can horse trade the K-1 for a 4K monitor and an open allowance on a new K3iii.
Horse trade? There will never be an opportunity. She really doesn't want it. None-the less, soon she'll be referring to it when she says "my camera." I'm not really sure how that works.

---------- Post added 10-30-16 at 07:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Well, Norm, you can always compromise and let Tess carry the K-1 for you!

(NB: Norm's signature reads: "Every system is a set of compromises. APS-c is my favourite set of compromises.")

It still is, I just have two formats right now, not one. I like landscape, but it's the birds I go feed every day. But if there was only one, it would still be APS-c. The K-1 is a nice compliment though for a second body.
10-30-2016, 04:50 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
May I bestow some advice?...never get a 645z,don't even think about it.
My thoughts exactly!!